Staggered breaks anyone?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Lately, here, the bright idea is to stagger a few breaks. Theres pluses and negatives to it. As for negative, it happens early, like 6ish. Thus having to work some three or more hours straight. We part timers of course only get one 15 mintue break, so taking full advantage of any break giving is a must. Is it allowed, over all, is my first question.

On the bright side, they leave us alone, I can clean all the cages I want without worry of getting pulled and I get out early. I dont care about the hours, I just want to leave. But I liked having break midpoint. Having two hours in, break and two hours back in then out. I get to talk to a few friends, but as in staggered breaks, I hardly ever see them. This isnt about me having the right to see friends, mind you.

Is there anything about staggered breaks against the contract?

This is something they are pulling with clerks as well in our bldg. I cover from time to time here and they try to make us stagger breaks. Yet to get an explaination from the union on whether I need to "work as directed" (after all,last time I checked,break isnt considered working) but I have stood my ground and taken it with the other clerks when they go. Stay tuned............

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
This is something they are pulling with clerks as well in our bldg. I cover from time to time here and they try to make us stagger breaks. Yet to get an explaination from the union on whether I need to "work as directed" (after all,last time I checked,break isnt considered working) but I have stood my ground and taken it with the other clerks when they go. Stay tuned............

I hear yea, I said today to the soup " its too early" with no response back. No later then 20 minutes they call break anyways. Me as well, sees it as not a chance of working as directed. It could be spun as so, really. This is why I like this site, ask, deal with and get feed back. Sure, keep me informed. I'd love a reason to argue the point.

Lately, here, the bright idea is to stagger a few breaks. Theres pluses and negatives to it. As for negative, it happens early, like 6ish. Thus having to work some three or more hours straight. We part timers of course only get one 15 mintue break, so taking full advantage of any break giving is a must. Is it allowed, over all, is my first question.

On the bright side, they leave us alone, I can clean all the cages I want without worry of getting pulled and I get out early. I dont care about the hours, I just want to leave. But I liked having break midpoint. Having two hours in, break and two hours back in then out. I get to talk to a few friends, but as in staggered breaks, I hardly ever see them. This isnt about me having the right to see friends, mind you.

My hubby is a part timer (about 4 to 5 hours per night) and he was told that there are NO BREAKS for them. Is this true?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Lucky you get 15, we only get 10. We are even lucky if we get that, they are usually on us 4 minutes before the buzzer sounds.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's contractual for one. Second, how do you have staggered breaks without forcing your co-workers to cover areas while trying to do their own work? But, it's is in the contract you can't do it. One more violation on their part.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had to grieve it. They stopped. I'm not confused or lying.

Check out Article 69, Section 1. All it says is that PTers will get a 10 minute relief period that should not be given within the first hour. There is no mention of staggered breaks at all. Back to my question--what difference does it make as long as they get their 10 minutes?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you had ever worked Preload, you would have understood my previous answer.

Whether I worked on the inside or not is irrelevant. I quoted you the contract language. There is nothing in there about staggered breaks. If using these makes the operations go smoother and everyone gets their breaks I don't see the problem.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, considering the labor sup in OUR area told my center to knock it off after our grievance, there must be something the other Brian saw in the contract you didn't.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Their doing it to everyone.

And mento is right, if you worked preload or any other job in the building you would understand. I'm sure most drivers would take a their break/ lunch some where in the mid point of the day, instead of taking them supper early.

Where is it that its contractual? Would love to bring it up tomarrow.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No, they can't stagger anything.
Just like they stagger start times, they can stagger breaks. If it's in the 2-3 hour window, it's legit. Outside that window (break before 2 hr, after 3) is where you can start making waves.

Having said that, if there is past practice est, then by all means grieve it. I've never heard of it and we also have staggered breaks/start times on our preload in the hub.