Starting Question for Mechanics

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
IMG_0132.JPG
A couple of years ago, my 2006 P70D started having occasional starting problems. FOB and key will not start the car, not even a click. After sitting 15 minutes, it would fire up. My mechanic replaced everything he could think of with no results. Finally we figured out to shift transmission into Nuetral and it will start. Does anybody know what causes this?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
View attachment 152482 A couple of years ago, my 2006 P70D started having occasional starting problems. FOB and key will not start the car, not even a click. After sitting 15 minutes, it would fire up. My mechanic replaced everything he could think of with no results. Finally we figured out to shift transmission into Nuetral and it will start. Does anybody know what causes this?

Neutral safety switch.

oldngray

nowhere special
Supposedly that was replaced, it started doing it again. I imagine they are poor quality parts like a lot of others. I'm off next week, I want to write up a couple of things tonight.

I had similar problems and it was just loose connections. Sloppy installation of keyless system.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a new mechanic, young guy and completely clueless. I tried to tip him at Christmas and he said he wasn't assigned my car. I gave a Longhorns steak dinner to my day mechanic instead.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Supposedly that was replaced, it started doing it again. I imagine they are poor quality parts like a lot of others. I'm off next week, I want to write up a couple of things tonight.

If the switch was replaced and still does it, like @oldngray said, sounds like a short or loose connection somewhere. These sometimes are a pain to track down, but can be done.

govols019

You smell that?

You're waiting until you go on vacation to write things up?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Yeah don't do that, a massive write up actually decreases the chance that everything you wrote down will get fixed. High probability of it getting filed in the round filing cabinet.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Not a massive write up, just basically the ignition problem. They pulled my car off and on for two months a couple of years ago for this and never fixed it. I was in a POS car too many times.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
View attachment 152482 A couple of years ago, my 2006 P70D started having occasional starting problems. FOB and key will not start the car, not even a click. After sitting 15 minutes, it would fire up. My mechanic replaced everything he could think of with no results. Finally we figured out to shift transmission into Nuetral and it will start. Does anybody know what causes this?
Besides replacing the neutral/safety switch (and making sure it, and the transmission linkage are adjusted correctly), sometimes (I'm thinking of GM transmissions, specifically) a new wiring connector to the switch is needed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You know I was just joking. I have nothing but respect for our retirees. We know how the company used to be. It's really gone to hell now.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You're waiting until you go on vacation to write things up?
Unless it's a serious safety issue, why wouldn't you? You get another car from the lineup that is used for splits that none of the newbies will write up anything, besides leaving trash and piss bottles everywhere. Like really? There is trash in the freakin diad IV holder....full to the top! Dirty windshield, mirror blow in on the highway, door STILL doesn't work....oh and there are no spare keys, even in the lockbox, because generation milleniela or whatever the hell they are drank five red bulls and skipped his lunch to beat you back by 45 minutes, but couldn't be bothered to write up anything. That's why he would wait til Vacay.

govols019

You smell that?
Unless it's a serious safety issue, why wouldn't you? You get another car from the lineup that is used for splits that none of the newbies will write up anything, besides leaving trash and piss bottles everywhere. Like really? There is trash in the freakin diad IV holder....full to the top! Dirty windshield, mirror blow in on the highway, door STILL doesn't work....oh and there are no spare keys, even in the lockbox, because generation milleniela or whatever the hell they are drank five red bulls and skipped his lunch to beat you back by 45 minutes, but couldn't be bothered to write up anything. That's why he would wait til Vacay.

Two wrongs don't make a right.