Starting Question for Mechanics

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have a new mechanic, young guy and completely clueless. I tried to tip him at Christmas and he said he wasn't assigned my car. I gave a Longhorns steak dinner to my day mechanic instead.
Now Scratch's truck smells like Blooming Onion gas.

Gear

Parts on Order
If the problem happens only with the fob its a keyless problem. Probably loose connections as stated before.

If it happens with the key and fob its a truck problem. If the vehicle has a physical key that makes the keyless an add on accessory.
GM examples
shifter and or cable
Neutral switch

Allison examples
shifter and or cable.

Lets say your shift cable is worn out/stretched. It might go into park but not enough for the switch to register. Going from park to drive hundreds of times a day causes this. Now you have a no start in park problem with fob and key. Mechanic figures it out, replaces cable, but doesn't fully adjust the cable. He adjusted it enough to start in park. Maybe it could have used a few more turns to get a few more hundred shifts. A year later, boom same problem.

As far as letting it sit for 15 minutes and everything is fine, I would have to see the truck. Going off your complaint Im thinking, depending on a gm or allison, probably a cable. Im thinking during the 15 minutes you're messing with the shifter and just wiggled it enough to get park to register. Being a driver you're more likely to notice the time and not think about the moving components.

Any time a vehicle with an automatic transmission doesn't start in park try it in neutral. Especially vehicles that are slammed into park hundreds of times a day.

If I get a no start in park with key and fob write up, I replace the shifter, cable and if its a gm, the neutral switch. If 1 went bad how long for the others? I don't know, so I replace them together. I dont get a bonus for bringing the company under budget.

Gear

Parts on Order
Things to consider when you have a no crank no start problem.

Is it in park?
Will it start with the key or other fob?
Will it start in neutral?

wayfair

swollen member
Mine will occasionally not start in park. Finally figured it out it wasn't fully IN park for the FOB.
It would start with the key though.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Things to consider when you have a no crank no start problem.

Is it in park?
Will it start with the key or other fob?
Will it start in neutral?

Thanks for the info. It's an Allison 5 speed, that's been replaced three times in 350K miles. The shifter has come loose before and been replaced several times. 170 stops a day so it probably gets shifted 400 times a day.

Gear

Parts on Order
Thanks for the info. It's an Allison 5 speed, that's been replaced three times in 350K miles. The shifter has come loose before and been replaced several times. 170 stops a day so it probably gets shifted 400 times a day.

2000 times a week! Definitely some wear there.
I like the Allison transmissions. Garbage companies have been running them for decades. Unfortunately we get the lowest bid remans. You know they're tearing them down and only replacing the failed part. A quality reman is completely rebuilt not just repaired.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My whole dash came loose one time, that shifter gets a workout. I wrote up some brake noise once, and my mechanic wrote in my DVIR "Cheap Chinese parts".

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My whole dash came loose one time, that shifter gets a workout. I wrote up some brake noise once, and my mechanic wrote in my DVIR "Cheap Chinese parts".
My favorite is driving an old stick shift down the highway and the mechanic forgot to latch those rubber staps back to the engine compartment and it catches air and comes flying at u. Lmao.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Not me. I am a professional.
IMG_1407.GIF