Stay at UPS or Leave?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
My son has a really good managerial position with a major aerospace company. He is salary and it is not uncommon for him to either go in to the office or work from home on the weekend.
It gets worse as you move higher up. My wife has a very high management position and while it's great money, she puts in some insane hours. She always has her iPad or laptop up for work on the weekends when she can

Holydriver

My son has a really good managerial position with a major aerospace company. He is salary and it is not uncommon for him to either go in to the office or work from home on the weekend.
Yea? What's his salary? And what is his promotion potential? Is he stuck as a driver like us, or will the extra hours potentially result in a major promotion with much much more income?

Nike

First of all OP dont take the opinions of those whom have worked for UPS their entire lives too seriously. Quite frankly they dont know any better as they have never worked in the real world.

Second this job is great if your at the top of the pyramid ie full time driver max progression. Everyone else is on their own fighting for the scraps.

Third nobody i know has retired from this job without sustaining some type of mechanical injury, shoulder or knee problems, bad back etc. It is just part of the job for most.

Finally ans most importantly consider the fate of our company and again ignore the lifetime upsers they really dont know any better. We have been losing market share to fedex/usps for years. Even worse companies like amazon, uber and a host of app based company's like favor or uship will continue to steal the "good stuff" ie small parcels and envelopes. I also question whether we will even still have health insurance after the obamacare cadillac tax kicks in. Sometime after 2018

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea? What's his salary? And what is his promotion potential? Is he stuck as a driver like us, or will the extra hours potentially result in a major promotion with much much more income?

Currently he is in a graduate development program where he started at $55K with a generous benefits package. That will jump to at least $75K when he completes the program and accepts a permanent position. He may even parlay that training in to a better offer with another company.

The only limit on his upward mobility would be self-imposed.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
First of all OP dont take the opinions of those whom have worked for UPS their entire lives too seriously. Quite frankly they dont know any better as they have never worked in the real world.

Second this job is great if your at the top of the pyramid ie full time driver max progression. Everyone else is on their own fighting for the scraps.

Third nobody i know has retired from this job without sustaining some type of mechanical injury, shoulder or knee problems, bad back etc. It is just part of the job for most.

Finally ans most importantly consider the fate of our company and again ignore the lifetime upsers they really dont know any better. We have been losing market share to fedex/usps for years. Even worse companies like amazon, uber and a host of app based company's like favor or uship will continue to steal the "good stuff" ie small parcels and envelopes. I also question whether we will even still have health insurance after the obamacare cadillac tax kicks in. Sometime after 2018
I know many guys who've retired just fine without life long injury.

Also yes ups is going out of business very soon. You better put in that application to uber now.

That's sarcasm btw.

Holydriver

Currently he is in a graduate development program where he started at $55K with a generous benefits package. That will jump to at least $75K when he completes the program and accepts a permanent position. He may even parlay that training in to a better offer with another company.

The only limit on his upward mobility would be self-imposed.
See, that seems like a solid gig. He works a lot of hours, but that work ultimately could mean huge promotion potential. Where as here at UPS you work a lot of hours because a supervisor dispatched you like an A hole. And his body won't be hurting all the time. I don't know man, there are goods and bads. Maybe his long days dont fly by