Steel Toe Shoes

Phil082

"UPS" Freight Hauler
There was a MEMO released today at OVNT/UPS Freight that informed all CDL employees are required to wear steel toe footwear. Any suggestions on what brand would be comfee while setting in a truck 8-10 hours?I have a feeling there's going to be some unhappy drivers come May first!

wkmac

Phil082 said:
There was a MEMO released today at OVNT/UPS Freight that informed all CDL employees are required to wear steel toe footwear. Any suggestions on what brand would be comfee while setting in a truck 8-10 hours?I have a feeling there's going to be some unhappy drivers come May first!

I'd get those shoes that come with the recliner for you to sit in all day!
:lol:

I'm not a big fan of steel toes because back in the 70's I worked in a machine shop and watched in horror as a huge piece of steel slip and fall from a chain hoist sling. The steel landed on the toes of an employee and crushed the steel toe into the guys toes coming close to cutting them off. Problem was the crushed steel toe trapped the guy inside his own boots and the screaming agony was horrible. We jerked the guy up and literally cut the sole of his shoes off to release the pressure. The guy healed up with some slight longterm effects but that event made me question in the long run how effective steel toes really are. Not saying no to them but I'm also not a believer that they are fail safe either.

JMO.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
I don't know get the pair thats easiet to get in and out of...
so when you get behind the wheel for 8-10 hours.. you can put your
slippers back on. Get to the stop, and slip into the steelies..
then when done slip out.

trickpony1

I know the "wine and roses" people aren't gonna like this but..........

If the company requires steel toed boots then they can purchase them, or provide a substantial discount, for the employees required to wear them.

We've already been through this at our location.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Look for this to be a company wide thing in the near future. Also look for it to be a negotiated part of the contract where the company will have to furnish part or all of the cost of shoes. I figure at least two pair a year.

As to the comfort, if you get a good quality shoe, you would be hard pressed to know that they even are steel toed. My last pair was steel toe, and you could not ever tell, and I was the worst as far as thinking they would suck as far as comfort. they cost 125 bucks.

Until they mandate the type of shoe, get something that absorbs shock. The less strain on the hips, knees and ankles the better.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Goodyear makes a light leather steel toes, kinda like a tennis shoe, and right now I have doc watsons, a little heavier, but well worth it. I have both and prefer steel toes. The horror stories are there, but I prefer crushed to amputated.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tooner

The story that was told was that something fell that was on a lift or hoist. The idea behind the steel toe is to protect the toes from the lighter weight stuff, not a train running over your foot.

Yes there are many stories about why people dont want to wear steel toe shoes or boots. And then there are many more that dont get the air time where the steel toe shoes saved toes. Even like in his case. Cut yes, crushed no. Painful, ya betcha, but at least he still has them.

Amputated can usually be attached. Crushed, well in most cases you loose them.

d

brownhorn

Oh my God!! If they start really requiring steel toes, I'm up a creek. I have plantar fasciitis, and when they required them in the hub, I wore them for about a week until I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I can barely stand it now, and I wear Rockports. Sorry, package car drivers don't need stupid steel toed boots.

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
I know the "wine and roses" people aren't gonna like this but..........

If the company requires steel toed boots then they can purchase them, or provide a substantial discount, for the employees required to wear them.

We've already been through this at our location.

I don't see it as a wine and roses type issue but whether you think steel toes do the job of protecting your feet and providing the comfort you need. I've worn steel toes and they did protect my toes from getting crushed a few times but never thought they were very comfortable.

trickpony1

While we're at it, let's require............

-jock straps and steel cups for men and the corresponding item for women
-steel hard hats
-elbow and knee pads like the skateboarders wear
-lumbar support belts like the kids at Wallyworld are forced to wear
-protective safety goggles
-highly reflective vests for every driver
-oxygen rebreather units
-biological and ultraviolet protective whole body suits.
-protective bras for women
-approved hearing protection like the airport workers wear
-kevlar vests

It all boils down to being responsible and aware.
The people in the ivory towers in Atlanta don't have to perform the job that we do, so it's easier for them to sit in their air-conditioned, lavishly furnished, window front suites and delegate what is best for the working slob.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

Talk to the people at Liberty. They are the ones that are pushing for the shoes. Like I said, look for it to be either in force by or addressed in the contract coming up.

d

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
While we're at it, let's require............

-jock straps and steel cups for men and the corresponding item for women
-steel hard hats
-elbow and knee pads like the skateboarders wear
-lumbar support belts like the kids at Wallyworld are forced to wear
-protective safety goggles
-highly reflective vests for every driver
-oxygen rebreather units
-biological and ultraviolet protective whole body suits.
-protective bras for women
-approved hearing protection like the airport workers wear
-kevlar vests

Dang dude you must be one helacious feeder driver.:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.:blushing:

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
The only reason I would suspect Liberty to be persuing this.
Is that there must be an abundance of Foot(ie TOE) injuries
due to lack of steel toes..

On Another note, You can now get Carbon/Kevlar toe'd
shoes which are much lighter than steel, and as strong
if not stronger. Of course hard to find... but available.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You have a point I never thought of Danny, I could be wrong. I dont find them uncomfortable, maybe Im just lucky, so I usually wear them. And in my former post they are doc martens, not watsons.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If Liberty is so concerned about us getting hurt, then maybe they could persuade the company to lower weight limits or give us a helper........:lol:

U

UPS HR

The people in the ivory towers in Atlanta don't have to perform the job that we do, so it's easier for them to sit in their air-conditioned, lavishly furnished, window front suites and delegate what is best for the working slob.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Most of the people who sit in Atlanta HAVE done your job. These rules are made in an attempt to reduce injuries, not to ruin your life.

over9five

Staff member
"Most of the people who sit in Atlanta HAVE done your job."

What a load of BS! If they've done our job at all, it was as a "30 day wonder". I am insulted whenever I hear some management idiot say, "I was a driver", WHEN I WAS THERE when he "drove" for his 30 days.

Drive 5 years minimum before you ever say, "I was a driver".

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
over9five said:
"Most of the people who sit in Atlanta HAVE done your job."

What a load of BS! If they've done our job at all, it was as a "30 day wonder". I am insulted whenever I hear some management idiot say, "I was a driver", WHEN I WAS THERE when he "drove" for his 30 days.

Amen to that over9five

My Center has seen several management folks "just passing by" on their way to higher jobs.

X

xyzzy

over9five said:

LOL. If you can't master driving "skills" within 24 - 36 months you're probably destined to be a driver forever.

Probably deserve it too, IMO.