Street Maps

BrownTexas

I may have said this on another thread... But I am not above repeating myself... But...

Management has the ability to print off a map with every exact point of delivery for the day. I ran a rural route one day and they printed me off a list of my stops and the exact location matching their number of where to deliver. Problem is they are just to damn lazy to do this.

Btw. That was the easiest day I have ever had. No thought involved. Simply find the nearest dot and drive to it. Loved it.

turdbrown

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding street maps to help with being a cover driver? I used to be able to find area maps in gas stations and other convenience stores, but it seems like no one sells them anymore. They don't even print the Hagstrom atlas anymore. I really do not want to use a GPS. Nassau County, New York.
u can have the people in your ctr print out maps for you

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I remember when you had no use for a smart phone.
The google maps app in my phone is far superior to any book map.

The advantage of book maps for a new driver is that you can photocopy the relevant pages and then tape them together if necessary to create one map of the entire route that can be clipped to the visor or taped to the bulkhead door. This helps someone with no area knowledge to "get the big picture" a lot better than finding one stop at a time via GPS, especially when you can write notes on the photocopies denoting number breaks, businesses, pickups etc. GPS is great for finding individual addresses but if you expand the map out to see the whole area then you cant read the names of individual streets, and if you shrink it down to be able to read individual street names then you are only able to see a small portion of the area.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The advantage of book maps for a new driver is that you can photocopy the relevant pages and then tape them together if necessary to create one map of the entire route that can be clipped to the visor or taped to the bulkhead door. This helps someone with no area knowledge to "get the big picture" a lot better than finding one stop at a time via GPS, especially when you can write notes on the photocopies denoting number breaks, businesses, pickups etc. GPS is great for finding individual addresses but if you expand the map out to see the whole area then you cant read the names of individual streets, and if you shrink it down to be able to read individual street names then you are only able to see a small portion of the area.
I have done what Sober is suggesting.

I get my maps from the county government centers in the areas that I cover.
I never had time for all of that.
Too busy studying for the DOK testing.

S

selfcancelsignal

u can have the people in your ctr print out maps for you
Exactly. Politely ask your dispatcher each time you're put on a route blind... & save them!

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We use an Aero Survey map book around the Atlanta area, they are the best made. They come from county records, they often even show streets that were planned but never built. They are about $70 apiece and usually cover several counties. We will copy several pages and tape them together to make a route map thats quick to look at. I have never bought one, my Center pays for them.
aerosurvey.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ap called sygic downloadable maps stay on phone and you don't need band with to use it.

How big is the screen on your phone? 3" x 5"? Maps are 8 1/2" x 11", which gives you a much better idea of the area as a whole. As Sober said, GPS is good for finding a particular address but a map is much better overall.

Z

ZQXC

Sober is one of our most respected posters.
Isn't he the one that called you an idiot 3 times.

mmmbrownies

Amazon.com. I tried Walmart, AAA, Barnes and Noble, gas stations, etc. Amazon was the only place that had a Massachusetts map. Not sure about other areas, but try there- especially if you have prime.