Strike or no strike

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What happens when a strike is called? the Feeder Drivers don't pull loads to the Hubs, so there are no packages for the Preload. The Package Drivers don't come into the building to work. The only boxes to work with is what is caught in the system before it is shutdown. Lots of layoffs from lost volume, the low seniority people are out of a job. nobody wins in a strike. I don't think there will be one next year, neither UPS or the Teamsters can afford it.

catra

So is that done during what would have been my shift? I guess if I showed up for preload one morning and there was a picket line it would make me want to leave. How was it for those of you that did this in 97?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
New guys, dont pay any attention, there will be no strike, UPS, and the teamsters cannot afford it. We are the largest part of the teamsters. It will be a fair deal, and just like the presidential election, no one knows what the outcome will be and speaking about a strike, is suicide for all of us. No one company can handle our volume but there are several, to take it and they will handle it. Look at it as a shipper would. They may not be as on time, or as scheduled, but at least they show up when UPS doesnt, we will never recover, if we strike.

DS

Fenderbender
I`m in Canada and your last strike almost killed us.
Its not hard to imagine what would cause one though.
The teamsters are screwing you out of your pension.
We are in the same boat.We make less than
you do down there,and the teamsters up here
do nothing for us.Secure your future,make sure
you make the right choices,make sure that the people
that made ups what it is dont get screwed.
Maybe its time for a new union.

Overpaid Union Thug

When I was working at RPS in 2000/2001 they were hoping, some praying, that we'd strike again. They were telling all the new hires each week that RPS was going to have customers, mainly the big accounts, sign 5 years contracts if UPS went on strike again. I just laughed when they told us that. I asked the guy if they were going to add more wharehouse space to all of the hubs and he asked me what I was talking about. I told him that they'd need it to store all the packages in because there was no way in hell RPS could process all that work.

Fredless

APWA Hater
If these threads are this bad this summer, how bad is it going to be next summer when everyone is saying last best final offer?

I think the worst part about a strike is worrying about it.

wyobill

If the contract is voted in or you walk the picket line,I emphasize do not cross and be a scab,last time we struck (3) full timers crossed,(1) has been blackballed,(1) has been killed,and (1) has been terminated,food for thought,good luck:lol:

In 97 when the teamsters caught wind about ups pulling out of the multi-employer pension funds they called for a strike.
The employees did not vote a strike. We never got to vote on anything. The srtike authorization is a joke. The union will do what they want anyway. Now it seems the teamsters are willing to negotiate the pension issue. I am just wondering if
getting to organize the frieght is a trade off.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Wyo....if I remember correctly I believe there was a vote to give the teamsters carte blanche' power to call a stike if they wanted. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Wyo....if I remember correctly I believe there was a vote to give the teamsters carte blanche' power to call a stike if they wanted. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yes, I remember voting in advance to give the union the right to strike.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I remember voting in advance to give the union the right to strike.

While that was true, the IBT never discussed with its members any part of the company's plan to fix the pension issue. I was delivering to a corporate manager's house at that time. He said that by law, UPS could only negotiate withe the IBT,not directly with their employees. I attended the Proposal Meetings and strike vote at Local 728 in Atlanta. There was no real discussion with members about the pension, only the "UPS wants to take over your Pension so they can do away with it like they did the Thrift Plan". We were mislead, in my opinion.:mad:

While that was true, the IBT never discussed with its members any part of the company's plan to fix the pension issue. I was delivering to a corporate manager's house at that time. He said that by law, UPS could only negotiate withe the IBT,not directly with their employees. I attended the Proposal Meetings and strike vote at Local 728 in Atlanta. There was no real discussion with members about the pension, only the "UPS wants to take over your Pension so they can do away with it like they did the Thrift Plan". We were mislead, in my opinion.:mad:

I remember the teamsters saying UPS wanted control of the pension. (I don't believe the company wanted to do away with the pension. But the Teamsters couldn't afford for UPS to pull out and have it go under) And the company's propopsal was 25 and out for $2500 mo. and $3000 for 30... Management lost the thrift plan too...When they did away whith the thrift plan I got all my money. Why is that an issue with the union?

Dutch Dawg

Yawn......little early for this thread isn't it?

I agree....however back around the first of the year more than one supervisor in my district offered in unsolicited conversation tidbits for the rumor mill a new contract would be assured by this summer. So while this discussion may be a tad bit early I can't help but think someone else got the jump on the topic.

F

FedExers for UPS Strikes

I vote Strike!!!! We are much better prepared to take all of your business now that we have increased capacity. DHL and us will play rock, paper, scissors to decide who get's all of the windfall volume. I will warm my Brink's truck up, so I can carry all of the cash to the bank. I love you guys and your strikes. Start now! We've got some room for all of your packages. Strike now ! Don't worry, you'll get all the volume back, just like last time :P

W

westsideworma

I vote Strike!!!! We are much better prepared to take all of your business now that we have increased capacity. DHL and us will play rock, paper, scissors to decide who get's all of the windfall volume. I will warm my Brink's truck up, so I can carry all of the cash to the bank. I love you guys and your strikes. Start now! We've got some room for all of your packages. Strike now ! Don't worry, you'll get all the volume back, just like last time :P

You too may face this someday if the NLRB keeps voting in favor of EMPLOYEES of your company unionizing.

Besides I don't think too many of your ground drivers could survive a bricked out p1200 :P

why don't you register and share in the discussion?

diadlover

Wow, that's pretty cool Fedexers. Now I understand! This whole time I was like "boy, I can't wait till we go on strike. It'll be a blast!" and along you came like my personal savior and made it clear for slow people like myself to understand the importance of reaching an agreement. Thank you. I am now going to stare at my computer and bask in your awesomeness.

p.s. Can you please crawl out your window and land on a pile of thumb tacks? May god have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:

local804

In 97 when the teamsters caught wind about ups pulling out of the multi-employer pension funds they called for a strike.
The employees did not vote a strike. We never got to vote on anything. The srtike authorization is a joke. The union will do what they want anyway. Now it seems the teamsters are willing to negotiate the pension issue. I am just wondering if
getting to organize the frieght is a trade off.

I remember the strike vote and the count was at our local meeting. You didnt get to vote?