Strike or no strike

local804

I remember the teamsters saying UPS wanted control of the pension. (I don't believe the company wanted to do away with the pension. But the Teamsters couldn't afford for UPS to pull out and have it go under) And the company's propopsal was 25 and out for $2500 mo. and $3000 for 30... Management lost the thrift plan too...When they did away whith the thrift plan I got all my money. Why is that an issue with the union?

I remember the company run pension proposal with sums of 5k a month. The propsal you posted is lower that what our local gets now, why would they agree?.

dammor

Aspen I had the same questions. Who tells us not to work? We don't get much communication and how does that affect the insurance (my only reason for being at UPS). Hopefully it won't come to a strike or I will have to find another job.

Strike means no work, no money, and serious damage to teamsters and UPS.
I really wish we could all realize we are in this together. UPS pays us. Why would anyone who has been through this before choose to do it again.
In a word it was hell and more damage was done than good. Sorry, but I will not vote for a strike. A strike vote is the same as voting yourself out of work.
If you can live on 50 bucks a week go for it...........

I really wish we could all realize we are in this together. UPS pays us. Why would anyone who has been through this before choose to do it again.
In a word it was hell and more damage was done than good. Sorry, but I will not vote for a strike. A strike vote is the same as voting yourself out of work.

I got $300 a week.....That's a big raise....with no overtime moving those signs. :w00t:

satellitedriver

Griff-They put supervisors and scabs on 24 hours,run them till they ragged,they just have to dodge the bullets,rocks,and nails from the picketers,not a pleasant sight,they should supply them with all with crash helmets too:thumbup1:
Dear Mister(bullet,rock and nails) trucker1946 Picketer,
Your post is a bad reflection of the UPS teamster.
This is not 1946 anymore. Violent action and mob rule is a thing of the past, or should be.
No one was put on 24 hours in 97' and I (as a scab) never dodged anything.
Maybe next strike you will come down to Texas and throw something at me?

satellitedriver

Don't forget. Union dues will be deducted from your $50.

8Years2Go

I don't think anyone in my center wants to see a strike, but if the teamsters pull the bs they did in 97 I think more are likely to cross. They did it to save the teamsters not to benefit the employees.

Amen brother! Amen!
If I remember correctly, we received $50.00 a week strike pay. They wouldn't bring the checks to us, we had to go to the hall to get them. And! The strike fund ran out after the first week. What can Central States do for you?

tieguy

Banned
He says as he continues working for that same awful company.

Don't bring up some BS about the pension , CS will pay you your 1000 a month whether you continue working here or not.

oper8tor

It seems the company has purchased many new buisnesses since 97, their income will be far less effected by a strike. But $50 a week is $50 a week, try not to spend it all in one place. I'm sorry but I fail to see what benefits organizing would do for UPS freight. Is it the chance to go from being drivers with a fully funded pension to drivers paying $60 for membership in an under funded plan?

trickpony1

So that is a reason to throw rocks, bottles, and whatever else at someone that is just trying to make a living?

That "someone" that is "just trying to make a living" is undermining the years of efforts by organized labor to "level the playing field" between employer and employee.
The nature of your username, as well as your posts, suggest that:
1) you aren't union and probably never have been and;
2) you sit in an air conditioned office and babysit computers and may not have a grasp of what it's like to do manual labor and watch your body slowly deteriorate.
Go ahead and cross that picket line because, after all, it's all about you.

If the contract is voted in or you walk the picket line,I emphasize do not cross and be a scab,last time we struck (3) full timers crossed,(1) has been blackballed,(1) has been killed,and (1) has been terminated,food for thought,good luck:lol:

If you're really a "Trucker 1946" - and I'll assume that's a ballpark birthdate - you know good and well how UPS dealt with Teamsters in Pennsylvania.

That's how they should have dealt with ALL Teamster-represented employees in 1997.

It's not too late to do it again - and make Jim Casey smile from the grave.

The cost/benefit analysis has been done semi-monthly for decades.

Only the go-along/get-along dopes (and they're fewer in number every year) are opposed.

Break the Teamsters, refocus UPS - break the IPA in the process and get rid of your IAM nuts too.

Win/win.

There's a LOT of money to be made during the transition period too.

There is no union represented employee at UPS that is worthy of employment. Time to flush.

Griff

If you're really a "Trucker 1946" - and I'll assume that's a ballpark birthdate - you know good and well how UPS dealt with Teamsters in Pennsylvania.

That's how they should have dealt with ALL Teamster-represented employees in 1997.

Only the go-along/get-along dopes (and they're fewer in number every year) are opposed.

Break the Teamsters, refocus UPS - break the IPA in the process and get rid of your IAM nuts too.

Win/win.

There is no union represented employee at UPS that is worthy of employment. Time to flush.

We already have enough mindless beancounters posting here, we don't need your painfully boring anonymous input. There's a reason why UPS hasn't parted ways with the "unemployable" derelicts represented by the Teamsters. Unfortunately for you, the reason can't be found on a chinese calculator or semi-monthly report. :sad:

rod

Retired 22 years
Just a word of advise from an old retired guy. If you go to a Union meeting and they take a vote to "authorize a strike if nessessary" be careful how you vote. If you are a new person and don't have a ton of $ saved up you could be cutting your own throat. Some of the younger guys at my old center were never called back. (or at least the were off so long they took employment elsewhere.) A strike is a SERIOUS thing. In the history of labor negotiations many advances have been made because of taking the hardline- but not without paying the pipper so to speak. Yes- there was an "authorization to strike" vote taken last time and most everyone voted for the Union to have the power to call for one, but when the Union did a good share of the people talked about how "they never thought they would do it" but by then it was too late.

W

westsideworma

Win/win.

I wonder if you know that you too are just a number to them as well. By your username it would seem that you do.

Jim Casey isn't smiling because this company isn't being run with his vision. It has nothing to do with the union at this company. The majority of us are hardworking people and the ones that aren't probably were taken advantage of for it while they were (some not all, some just don't care and I realize that).

UPS reinforces being lazy to a degree, the person who works fast (but safe) because they want to go home is often whipped the hardest and given the most work to compensate for the others. What a way to show some appreciation.

It has to do with the way its being run at the top. Its all numbers now, no essence of a team, or even :gulp: one big family (corny yes, but true in some aspects). Just today I overheard a union employee being accused of having an attitude by management because he went to the union after not being paid in almost 2 weeks (!!!!). He has an attitude because he wishes to be paid for the work he did? This guy is always on time and always gives 110 percent and he got dumped on because he wished to be paid...I didn't know you guys worked for free? It was like a slap in the face for a guy who never takes a day off and always keeps upbeat on the worst of days here. I know the guy who said it to him and he is indeed "a piece of work" but it was uncalled for and I really wanted to lay into this guy for it, but I decided all in good time, this guy will be fired just like the one before him eventually as he'll get no better results...

A word of advice thats been proven time and time again, if you treat your employees like numbers you'll never make yours.

tieguy

Banned
That "someone" that is "just trying to make a living" is undermining the years of efforts by organized labor to "level the playing field" between employer and employee.

I take it you think labor will be giving the employer givebacks since the playing field is clearly in the employees favor with the union, contract and a ton of governmnet regulatory agencies all sitting on the employees side of the field.

The nature of your username, as well as your posts, suggest that:
1) you aren't union and probably never have been and;
2) you sit in an air conditioned office and babysit computers and may not have a grasp of what it's like to do manual labor and watch your body slowly deteriorate.

Interesting point you make. Lets see air conditioning, does not know anything about manual labor. I got it you're trying to put him down aren't you? Now ask yourself these questions ready:

1) would your body deteriote anyway?
2) Who's body would deteriorate better one who's out working manual labor or one who sits in front of a computer and gets no exercise.
3) How is your (trickponys) body deteriorating since you also sit on your fat arse all day in air conditioning inside that feeder?

go ahead and cross that picket line after all its about you?

how bout this go ahead and create that picket line after all its all about you isn't it?