Stupid Driver Awards

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
He has been there twice as long as I have. If he doesn't know better by now he never will (he honestly never will). I am not his mother. If he wants to risk his job and his familys well being that his choice.

Both of our drivers are 10 years plus. They are soooo gone they aren't even on the drivers list.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

He thinks they have no way of knowing package weights and uses this to help his times.

My management team likes to leave paper work lying about on the counters in our center (I once came across an entire employees disciplinary packet). I recently came across an email to our center manager asking him to ask a driver why he was sheeting stops as having over 70s when there weren't any. It had the stop number, the number of allegded over 70s and listed the actual weight for each package in the stop.

With all this technology they can figure out every thing you do. Like the poster up there said, the numbers don't matter so why risk your job.

S

serenity now

The allowance is 45 seconds per package. If you do it enough you can use it to influence the over/under on your route. If yoy are a bonus center like we are, and you use it enough you can earn bonus.

i think i have heard every scheme, scam, and hoax there is for trying to increase your time allowance * it's all BS *

S

serenity now

My management team likes to leave paper work lying about on the counters in our center (I once came across an entire employees disciplinary packet). I recently came across an email to our center manager asking him to ask a driver why he was sheeting stops as having over 70s when there weren't any. It had the stop number, the number of allegded over 70s and listed the actual weight for each package in the stop.

With all this technology they can figure out every thing you do. Like the poster up there said, the numbers don't matter so why risk your job.

in today's ups, they are right there in the jump seat with you, whether you want to believe it or not

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
i think i have heard every scheme, scam, and hoax there is for trying to increase your time allowance * it's all BS *

Be that as it may, it is stupid on a drivers part to think that they won't get caught trying to cheat the system. It's only a matter of time before someone notices.

S

serenity now

Be that as it may, it is stupid on a drivers part to think that they won't get caught trying to cheat the system. It's only a matter of time before someone notices.

that's my point * it's BS to even worry about the numbers to begin with

but, if you try to cheat the system, there are too many reports that overlay one another and soon they will have a mountain of evidence against you

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The allowance is 45 seconds per package. If you do it enough you can use it to influence the over/under on your route. If yoy are a bonus center like we are, and you use it enough you can earn bonus. [/Q
Recently, I delivered to a local business that sells diesel pick up accessories. That particular day they received 18 tires that weighed 80 lbs apiece. Also several clutches and several exhausts. 25, +70s. Dummy me forgot to take credit for them. If they seriously want this to stop they need the over 70s to populated as they are scanned. It could be in the bar code.
Anyway....I had the OMS put the over 70s in my timecard and it made a difference of 50 clicks.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I posted about this a few years back. I work in a non bonus center and there was a driver fired for the same thing. Recording way to many over 70's for what reason only god knows since he is no longer a UPS employee. For what I heard back then he would take the over 70 credit if all the pkgs he had for the stop add up to over 70. crazy. I think he was warned not to do this before and thats why he didn't get his job back.

jaker

trolling

Hold on they can see all that , but they can't let us know when a 5lb box actully weighs 50lbs

Half the time I forget to enter a over 70 until I stop compete it

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Recently, I delivered to a local business that sells diesel pick up accessories. That particular day they received 18 tires that weighed 80 lbs apiece. Also several clutches and several exhausts. 25, +70s. Dummy me forgot to take credit for them. If they seriously want this to stop they need the over 70s to populated as they are scanned. It could be in the bar code.
Anyway....I had the OMS put the over 70s in my timecard and it made a difference of 50 clicks.

Half the time I forget to take credit for my over 70's as well.

rod

Retired 22 years
I sure wish Upstate was here to comment on this thread. I miss him already.

If it will make you happy I will pretend to be upstate:

"Here in the bubble of goodness we would never consider trying to cheat the company like that. If I have an over 70 I have my center manager meet me ( for some reason my Teamster buddies won't help me) and together we hold hands and work as a team to make delivery of this stop. When I return to the building I make sure my center manager didn't pull a muscle, give him a backrub and invite him to go to the movies with me."

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I sure wish Upstate was here to comment on this thread. I miss him already.

"Here in the bubble of goodness we would never consider trying to cheat the company like that. If I have an over 70 I have my center manager meet me ( for some reason my Teamster buddies won't help me) and together we hold hands and work as a team to make delivery of this stop. When I return to the building I make sure my center manager didn't pull a muscle, give him a backrub and invite him to go to the movies with me."

How do u hold hands and properly grasp at opposite corners?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The company does not, per se, have the means to verify all the weights on every pkg. I had asked before why a notation in the board couldn't be programed alerting us that a package at a particular stop was an over-70. That was the answer I was given. Rather, they'll look for discrepancies and red flags, and then confront you on them.

As for why drivers do it, it isn't always about the money. Ironically, it is often used to boost up time on the over/under report to soften the blow of an ugly over-allowed day. While technically one cannot get fired for performance, consistently being on the report may put one on the radar of the higher ups, and they could begin scrutinizing your methods and work day, and may find some legitmate way to discipline you, probably along the lines of failure to follow methods. It can be a fine line one must walk; however, it will take time for someone who is grossly overallowed to reach the level of severe discipline, whereas inflating over-70's is dishonest, a cardinal infraction that could lead to immediate termimation with no recourse. Take the lesser of the two evils.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

Movies !! I think you meant joining him in his hot tub !!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It really doesn't matter. The 70's counts were high and it triggered a suspicion and an audit was ordered. Even 1 is enough to get you fired but if they are going to make it stick, they'll let ya do it for 30 days.

Miscounting by 1 or 2 on one day can be explained as a data entry error.

Doing it every day for 30 days isnt a data entry error.

When the company suspects something like this, they wait and give the idiot all the rope he needs to hang himself.

Nazzrath

If I need to make several trips to deliver bulk to an apartment building I'll sheet the number of trips past 1 as 70+ There's no other way to sheet the extra time for the extra trips.

Also, I come across many packages where the weight on the label doesn't match the actual weight of the package. There's a lot of shady shippers out there. You gotta love the 1lbs label on a 50lbs box.