Stupid Driver Awards

JackStraw

You can cheat and get away with it one day,10 days,a month. Eventually YOU WILL get caught. UPS isn't stupid. Know a driver who was cleared in Dec. for this very thing. That surprised me. I figured it being peak they would give him a couple days. Nope. I've been here 29 years and I've seen people get fired fora lot of stupid stuff. No one has ever been fired for being over-allowed. Harassed? Yes. Fired? Never. Just do the job the way THEY want you to do it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I do use over 70's in board. Only use it when I actually have one. Yes sometimes I forget. Shame on me for that. Ctr manager did ask why I use the specials key. I said for overs. I said if you want me to stop I will. They said I was the only driver in whole building. Been 2-3 yrs now. If you are given an allowance. Why wouldn't you use it? Be honest. There is nothing to worry about. Honestly if they really want to get rid of someone. They will. Either by making up something or drivers being totally dishonest. The union will give little attempt to save you. Especially if your a senior driver. That's how the union makes tons of cash. They will get a sign off. And tell you how great it was how they saved your ass. Lower pension pay out. Discounted

DS

Fenderbender
Lot's of things add to your planned day.Most sup's have no idea what they are, never mind us drivers.
I used to run a buck fifty over every day,now I'm down to about sixty.I put in all over 70's,apartment floors,
and scan every pickup package that is not in the system .I get signatures if I can do it without wasting time.
I enter all pickups including international pkgs.Every time I have a meet point or an air meet it's an unscheduled p/u.
You can cut up to a half hour off your day by just following the diad prompts without cheating.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Lot's of things add to your planned day.Most sup's have no idea what they are, never mind us drivers.
I used to run a buck fifty over every day,now I'm down to about sixty.I put in all over 70's,apartment floors,
and scan every pickup package that is not in the system .I get signatures if I can do it without wasting time.
I enter all pickups including international pkgs.Every time I have a meet point or an air meet it's an unscheduled p/u.
You can cut up to a half hour off your day by just following the diad prompts without cheating.

Unscheduled is a big no no.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What do you guys mean you "put in apartment floors"? Is there a special time allowance for this like an over 70?

Next to room number on the address screen there's a FLR option. According to Dragon there's not an allowance, even though it takes more time to go up stairs/elevator. Not really worried about how long they say it should take, only that I get paid to walk them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I understand that I'm just saying most of us have been told to NEVER use unscheduled pick up.

Kind if like damages. Why leave it in the board as an option even.

What killed unscheduled pick up is the drivers that would put in a separate pickup stop for every Internet package, every ARS, and every ASD pkg that they picked up. You know who you are.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I need to make several trips to deliver bulk to an apartment building I'll sheet the number of trips past 1 as 70+ There's no other way to sheet the extra time for the extra trips.

In theory at least, that "extra time" has already been factored in as part of the unit delivery allowance, so there is no need for you to try to account for the "extra time" for those additional trips.

In reality, the "allowance" you are so worried about was never intended by the company to be fair or realistic in the first place. It is a scam. It is designed to create a "standard" that you can only meet by working off of the clock....or in this case, by trying to play silly little number games with your DIAD that will ultimately get you fired for dishonesty.

If you want to enjoy a successful career with UPS, I would suggest that you develop the mental discipline to detach yourself from any concern over those numbers. The sooner you learn to do this, the more piece of mind you will have. You are a driver; your job is to pick up and deliver the packages. If you want to manipulate meaningless numbers and obsess over stupid reports for a living, then put your letter in for management.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

We have been instructed not to use unscheduled pickup due to the abuses above; it is because drivers were using it but,not getting credit, so we were instructed to add the pieces to an existing stop to get credit for the piecework. However, there are a couple of "informal pickups" I make on my route daily (yes management is aware of them; I was introduced to them on my training ride) where I had been adding them to other pickup totals, but then would get questioned about why I was driving "to nowhere" by my dispatch supe. That is when I realized the need for visibility in what I do, and now use Unscheduled Pickups as well as add in OnCalls depending on the situation. These are being used legitimately, not for the store that hands me an ARS as I hand them their pkg, or the person handing me a cell phone return. In one instance, I have an Office Max that used to be a pickups in my board; however they switched to a private pickup carrier for a while, and once it was noticed that I wasn't picking up from them the stop was taken out of my board. They then returned to UPS. This cycle played out a couple more times, but for now they are using us. While I do deliver to the store the delivery point is up front, pickups in the back, hence why i use unscheduled pickup. I am not looking for extra allowance, but I don't want to be over-allowed on the delivery stop while I run to the back to fetch the packages (which are internet packages and have the package emblem on the bottom; depending on how you receive them these are added to scheduled stops or put in special counts because they don't need a special scheduled pickup), neither; it draws attention and questions. To date, it has had the desired effect, in that it makes what's going on in my day more visible.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We aren't supposed to use unscheduled pickup either but GD it, I get real tired of getting ODS's to go pick up an ARS(E) because the customer calls the center. There was a big push a while back, trying to get the customers to call the 800 number to schedule a pickup. For the most part it has worked. For those that still insist on trying to get out of paying for a scheduled pickup, I make it know to the center that I will be using and unscheduled for any pickups that do not come through my diad in the form of a scheduled.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

For visibilty's sake I also sheet up unscheduled meets with drivers on area for swapping misloads as DFUs (although this is not without precedent, set by a supe I was with once),especially since such meets involved driving a little ways; of course if they ask, it is easily explained, but by putting it in the board I am hoping they don't have to. OTOH, using "find BC" to sheet pkgs I cannot find after searching, typing a note that I cannot find on the car, is considered an integrity issue since I am sheeting a package I don't have, so I have ceased doing so. Maybe I'll start sending text msgs when I stop to make a delivery, only to find I cannot find the pkg (we are already instructed to do this for any pkgs we cannot find, but it is done at the end of day when we are certain no other driver has the pkg, giving them a heads up on packages that will show up on the "spa'ed, not delv'd" report.

Dragon, it was a supervisor who did the ride with me that informed me of the floor allowance; I'd be surprised if he was misinformed by his boss, for what would be the point?

I guess the most frustrating thing for me is I do these things to increase visibility, so I will not be suspected of just wasting/stealing time....but that's exactly what I have been accused of. I remember talking with the I.E. manager who oversaw the last time studies done on the center a couple years ago. I quickly picked up on how the time study really is for the entire loop (?), not just one trace(?)/route. As such the allowances are really averages for an area: the average time it takes to make a pickup, the average time it takes to driver release a package, etc. Some guys make out because of this, eg I may pick up 140 30lb packages, while another picks up 140 15lb packages. Both our times are used to make the average, but he will look slightly better than the average, and I look slightly worse. The manager just shrugged her shoulders when I pointed out how bad that could make me look and asked for a way to compensate for that.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We aren't supposed to use unscheduled pickup either but GD it, I get real tired of getting ODS's to go pick up an ARS(E) because the customer calls the center. There was a big push a while back, trying to get the customers to call the 800 number to schedule a pickup. For the most part it has worked. For those that still insist on trying to get out of paying for a scheduled pickup, I make it know to the center that I will be using and unscheduled for any pickups that do not come through my diad in the form of a scheduled.

Amen. If they're going to hold us so strictly to numbers, I'm going to make sure they're getting an accurate representation of the stops I have to make so when I get an ODS to make a pickup that isn't in my diad it goes in as unscheduled pickup. If grandma hands me her zappos return box when she sees me on Main Street it goes in as special counts where I get no credit for it, which is fine because I was already there.