Supe says no to vacation

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Hello i have been working at UPS for almost 5 years now. I have been on vacations for 3 weeks... technically 2 because i called in sick every day for the 2nd week. I have two more weeks of vacation which will be ending on the 12th of august and i have to go to work on the 15th. However today i texted my supervisor and asked if anybody has the week of 15- 19 of august he told me somebody already has it off. heres the text transcript me and him had today...

Me- Hey does anybody have week of 15-19 of August?
Supe- Who is this?
Me- Its Exmachina
Supe- Yes someone has it off
Me- Who has that week off?
Supe- A tan wall employee
Me- Which one?
Supe- Why does it matter to you? You need to be here that week.
Me- Why are you avoiding my question?
Supe-Call me. I am not going to play this text game.
Me- This isnt a game I just asked a simple question... Whats so hard about that?

my supe didnt reply after that. basically the supe is an A-hole and i beleive he is lying because he doesnt want to give me vacation because i called in sick every day of last week. basically is there anything i can do? should i just call in sick every day of the week?(I actually have to miss work those days) and can anything happen to me if i do?

Well actually if you wanted that week off it probably would have helped if you came in while you were sick. I know that sounds bad, but it would help. You also probably should have asked off sooner instead of waiting a few weeks away. Whoever keeps up with your days and time is who you should be calling and finding out if you have anymore time off you can take. I know the girl that does mine so whenever a supervisor says I can't because I don't have days and I know they are wrong I call her ask her and she will tell me how many days I have left. I never go past those days, unless I'm on my death bed and even if I don't' have days and I bring in a note they are usually pretty understanding. Also if someone took that week off when they bidded for that week that is there week, if you needed that week off you should have bid for it.

fethrs

Second of all it is my business too see who has the week off.
Hate to break it to you but it is none of your business who has the week off, the supervisors are not required to tell you.

I mean wouldn't you be suspicious?
No, somebody else taking a week off that I want does not make me suspicious.

I hate to sound like a complainer but i'm tired of being treated like a prisoner.
You feel you're being treated like a prisoner because you can't get what you want? You know UPS does not revolve around you don't you?

TUT

How do you call in work sick for a week straight? My sup won't even let me take one sick day...

Wow I thought UPS was union, so what do you guys fight for if you can't take a single sick day off? Not to be put in front of a firing squad? Scabs can even get a day off. Were I come from you have to get your time off, or so says the laws of California. Reading a lot of reply's you guys might want to put more vaca days on your list for 2013, seems substandard.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I just want to say to Fethrs that in our region (and probably others), there is contract language that has "examination of records" and also approval/denial of sick/personal days. A steward can easily access those records to see if the days were denied with just cause or because of a grudge.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hello i have been working at UPS for almost 5 years now. I have been on vacations for 3 weeks... technically 2 because i called in sick every day for the 2nd week. I have two more weeks of vacation which will be ending on the 12th of august and i have to go to work on the 15th. However today i texted my supervisor and asked if anybody has the week of 15- 19 of august he told me somebody already has it off. heres the text transcript me and him had today...

Supe- Who is this?
Me- Its Exmachina
Me- Which one?
Me- This isnt a game I just asked a simple question... Whats so hard about that?

my supe didnt reply after that. basically the supe is an A-hole and i beleive he is lying because he doesnt want to give me vacation because i called in sick every day of last week. basically is there anything i can do? should i just call in sick every day of the week?(I actually have to miss work those days) and can anything happen to me if i do?

Welcome to UPS my friend.

Please explain to us how UPS is the bad guy in this.

QKRSTKR

I'm calling BS. Even if you can roll over vacations, how do you call off 5 days in a row? Sick days or not. Anything after 3 you need a doctors note. So you've been off, text your sup., and expect him to give you the answer. Why don't you go in and look at the vacation schedule. Should be one posted somewhere, or "not where you work"? This story is so full of holes. Swiss cheese.

If I were your sup. your termination letter would be in the certified mail by now. So if the postman comes a knockin and makes you sign, buh-bye. That' ll be your next thread, "Wrongful termination for being on vacation". Boo hoo

thessalonian13

How do you call in work sick for a week straight? My sup won't even let me take one sick day... His reply to me is usually "Take medicine you're coming in." I would love you know your technique.
ARE YOU KIDDING?????!!!!!!! I would tell him: "Yeah, I am taking my medicine and going back to sleep. Hey, I feel better already. Have a nice day and I will be in tomorrow. Then dial tone........

U

uber

What article and section of your supplement does it say you can roll over vacations?

I'm not a Steward, nor have I read the handbook front to back. At UPS Swan Island Center it is FACT that you can roll over vacations. I have done it, as have many of my co-workers. This isnt a fabrication of the truth, this is FACT.

Brown_Noser

Large Member
What article and section of your supplement does it say you can roll over vacations?

I'm not a Steward, nor have I read the handbook front to back. At UPS Swan Island Center it is FACT that you can roll over vacations. I have done it, as have many of my co-workers. This isnt a fabrication of the truth, this is FACT.

He’s right.
I have also rolled over vacations in the past and I’m not from the North West.
I actually thought this was common and company wide. However, after reading this thread, it seems to be dependent on what region you’re from. I’m a part-timer, maybe that makes a difference.

Re-Raise

He’s right.
I have also rolled over vacations in the past and I’m not from the North West.
I actually thought this was common and company wide. However, after reading this thread, it seems to be dependent on what region you’re from. I’m a part-timer, maybe that makes a difference.

No chance of that in the midwest.

I am in 710 and you pick your vacations for the following year by the end of Nov.

If you split an optional week into individual days you are paid for them at the end of the year if you haven't taken them.

packageguy

Supe- Who is this?
Me- Its Exmachina
Me- Which one?

Sounds like somebody is telling a lie.