Supervisor said I'm required to work 10 hours

derrick

My supervisor came today and told me after I do my 8 hours if they need me I'm required to stay and can't leave. If this against the union policy? If so what article so I can file a grievance.

Cowboy Mac

My supervisor came today and told me after I do my 8 hours if they need me I'm required to stay and can't leave. If this against the union policy? If so what article so I can file a grievance.
You are required to work as directed, so yes you need to stay. You might be able to file a grievance later but that depends on your job classification. What is your job title? Are you FT or PT?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2020-1-22_7-21-44-png.280590

derrick

It's not a cry baby matter. Because the supervisor actually let my other two co workers go home on time and then told me I'm required to stay. My other two co workers are under me. The other two co workers are white and he let them leave with any problems but he told the two black workers they had to stay.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It's not a cry baby matter. Because the supervisor actually let my other two co workers go home on time and then told me I'm required to stay. My other two co workers are under me. The other two co workers are white and he let them leave with any problems but he told the two black workers they had to stay.
Why does everyone always make it be about race?
Maybe your supervisor just doesn't like you.

Anyway. In all seriousness, few more questions.

Was your assignment completed?
Have your coworkers who were sent home attained seniority?
Did he explain his decision to you at all?

derrick

Why does everyone always make it be about race?
Maybe your supervisor just doesn't like you.

Anyway. In all seriousness, few more questions.

Was your assignment completed?
Have your coworkers who were sent home attained seniority?
Did he explain his decision to you at all?
Yes all car washers hit 8 hours at 2. Preload goes to lunch at 4. So our assignments are never complete.

No he didn't.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Oh here we go
The race card has been played
Let’s see where it gets ya

DOK

Yes all car washers hit 8 hours at 2. Preload goes to lunch at 4. So our assignments are never complete.

No he didn't.
Your buildings car washers get 8 hours of work? Our building that’s a part time position. And your preload gets lunch? Ours works 8 hours since the start of the pandemic with zero official break time, you are permitted to use the rest room if needed.

And not sure why you couldn’t just defer the work to the less senior employees.

derrick

Your buildings car washers get 8 hours of work? Our building that’s a part time position. And your preload gets lunch? Ours works 8 hours since the start of the pandemic with zero official break time, you are permitted to use the rest room if needed.

And not sure why you couldn’t just defer the work to the less senior employees.
That's the problem. I work in car wash 6pm to 12am the preload supervisor says I'm required to work in preload until 4am but other employees under me aren't. So that's a 10 hour work day

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
That's the problem. I work in car wash 6pm to 12am the preload supervisor says I'm required to work in preload until 4am but other employees under me aren't. So that's a 10 hour work day
This sounds suspect to me.

Are the other two employees taking pay actual?

In my experience UPS doesn't like paying out guarantees without employees having worked them.

And are you absolutely sure they have the exact same job classification as you?
If they're being paid 8, and they have the same bid job as you, I think you might have a grievance.

But this just feels like something is being left out.

DOK

We have FT car wash and about 20-25 FT preload employees. Those are the only ones that show up for work consistently. Can see them expanding it just so they have people tbh.
It’s unbelievable how random our part time work force is. Can’t discipline for not showing up either or they’ll just quit lol.

JustDeliverIt

It’s unbelievable how random our part time work force is. Can’t discipline for not showing up either or they’ll just quit lol.

When I started you had turn over on preload but nothing like it is now. The people who loaded trucks when I was there are still there. Some keep it just as a PT thing because that works for them, some have taken the FT spots. The other loaders are just a revolving door. Half our preload probably has 10+ years, the other half might have 6 months max. No one seems to stay more than a year.