supervisor working and sends me home...

Leadfarmer153

Now that it peak has wrapped up and the focus of management has returned to production numbers. my full time super has been doing nothing but trying to cut hours. Today at the end of the day there were pakages all over the box line that needed to be loaded onto trucks and my immediate supe told me I had to go home I preceeded to ask him who is going to finish up? And he responded "I'll have a driver load it" which I knew was bs. So I punched out and then went back and walked the box line and who is in a truck loaing freight? You got it the supervisor. Now I am going to file a grivence in the am my question is when they are trying to send people home how exactly does that processe work?

Have the most trusted steward witness this. I would try and find a driver that is a steward not a part time steward. Get a grievance sheet and both of you have to sign it.

Went in and saw my steward this morning and he told me to approach my supervisor before I filed which I planned on doing anyways just out of respect because my supervisor and I have a good working relationship and I did not want to start a war between him and I. After I spoke with my steward I pulled my supervisor to the side and told him the I was not happy about the way I was sent home the day before and continued to explain to him the way that he was supposed to send people home. He agreed completely and gave me some lame excuse as to why it happened. Whatever really don't care all I am asking for is for management to follow the rules in place I have to follow the rules and there is no reaaon why management should not have to do the same. Sometimes you have to remind management where they work and that you are aware of the rules. All and all everything went well the protocol was followed and the union freight was put away by union employees the the it is supposed to.#stickupforyourself.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What the hell are you talking about ... we were taught to target filers in UPS Management school.
That's crazy talk there!
If that is true which I dont doubt that is horrible we need to be able to stick up for ourselves as workers and not be afraid of being "tatgeted" as far as I am concerned target me I know I do my job and any signs of harassment for filing on them will get them filed on again.

RolloTony Brown Town

If that is true which I dont doubt that is horrible we need to be able to stick up for ourselves as workers and not be afraid of being "tatgeted" as far as I am concerned target me I know I do my job and any signs of harassment for filing on them will get them filed on again.

He's kidding. We aren't supposed to target, but a lot of supervisors pay closer attention to the guys that file on them. I like that your steward told you to confront your supervisor and even more that you followed through. Are you going to file a grievance on him still? I think you should. If you're a good employee and you follow your methods then he won't have anything to target. It's the only way they learn.

Disclaimer: I would say "it's the only way WE learn" but I don't pull that crap and I hate people with zero integrity...

He's kidding. We aren't supposed to target, but a lot of supervisors pay closer attention to the guys that file on them. I like that your steward told you to confront your supervisor and even more that you followed through. Are you going to file a grievance on him still? I think you should. If you're a good employee and you follow your methods then he won't have anything to target. It's the only way they learn.

Disclaimer: I would say "it's the only way WE learn" but I don't pull that crap and I hate people with zero integrity...
I am not going to file on him like I said we have a good working relationship and I would not want to ruin that. if there has ever been a problem in the past he has come to me with it and not written me up. I am not looking for the extra pay I just dont want to lose any hours. I made my point very clear that if I see him working I will file on him.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I am not going to file on him like I said we have a good working relationship and I would not want to ruin that. if there has ever been a problem in the past he has come to me with it and not written me up. I am not looking for the extra pay I just dont want to lose any hours. I made my point very clear that if I see him working I will file on him.

Honestly, the way you resolved the issue is the same way a steward is supposed to resolve the issue. A rank-and-file hourly doesn't need to warn a supervisor before filing, per se, but stewards are typically supposed to give management an opportunity to resolve the problem.

Just keep an eye on it. Supervisors have a bad habit of resolving one problem and then creating two or three more to compensate.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Dave is actually right here. If a rank-and-file member is staying after work, off the clock, to observe supervisors working and they refuse to leave, they can be disciplined. However, trying to chase off a steward who is off the clock and investigating a grievance could lead to labor charges.
That being said.. if you're told to punch out and think a supervisor is finishing up, maybe you go take a dump and wash up every day after your sort after punching out. Maybe you're also a forgetful guy and always leave your work gloves, time card, lunch bag, water bottle, etc. by the time clock and have to rush back 15 minutes after you've punched out to grab it.<snip>

As I've written before, years ago -- after a successful grievance against management working -- I received a certified letter rubber stamped by the DM informing me that if I did not vacate the building within 5 minutes of clocking out (and it took about five minutes to exit the building from my designated time clock), I would be considered trespassing and UPS would contact the authorities & forcefully have me removed from the property, which would lead to termination of my employment (and possible charges). My BA said it was legit and UPS was within its rights. Yet in order to get compensated for supervisors working....

Honestly, some days I feel like turning in that withdrawal card.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You need to be careful----when you punch out, you are supposed to leave, not go back to your work area.
Come on dave. A lot of time I think you may get a lot of flack. But this post just shows you deserve it all and more. Wow.
As I've written before, years ago -- after a successful grievance against management working -- I received a certified letter rubber stamped by the DM informing me that if I did not vacate the building within 5 minutes of clocking out (and it took about five minutes to exit the building from my designated time clock), I would be considered trespassing and UPS would contact the authorities & forcefully have me removed from the property, which would lead to termination of my employment (and possible charges). My BA said it was legit and UPS was within its rights.

Hmmmm ...

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I hereby apologize to Dave. I can admit when I am wrong. But I have to say I also think it is wrong to force an employe off property within 5 minutes or fire them for trespassing and is even more wrong to send them home and do hourly work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hereby apologize to Dave. I can admit when I am wrong. But I have to say I also think it is wrong to force an employe off property within 5 minutes or fire them for trespassing and is even more wrong to send them home and do hourly work.

I agree it is 100% wrong to send employees home, whether early or after they have worked their 3.5, only to replace them with supervisors. This is where having friends working other shifts comes in quite handy.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As I've written before, years ago -- after a successful grievance against management working -- I received a certified letter rubber stamped by the DM informing me that if I did not vacate the building within 5 minutes of clocking out (and it took about five minutes to exit the building from my designated time clock), I would be considered trespassing and UPS would contact the authorities & forcefully have me removed from the property, which would lead to termination of my employment (and possible charges). My BA said it was legit and UPS was within its rights. Yet in order to get compensated for supervisors working....

Honestly, some days I feel like turning in that withdrawal card.

That's when you have your steward/BA stick around and watch things.
In my building the company would regret sending you that letter and you would have many grievance opportunities as you drive home.
If all your BA did was tell you the letter was legit, then he or she needs to go.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
That's when you have your steward/BA stick around and watch things.
In my building the company would regret sending you that letter and you would have many grievance opportunities as you drive home.
If all your BA did was tell you the letter was legit, then he or she needs to go.

When there's mass complaints about management working, our BAs will sometimes make an unexpected visit to the facility. Unfortunately, time only allows a few visits per year. There's more important things for them to handle, such as attending multi day conferences at a nearby golf resort.

My BA said he was concerned about keeping my employment, since UPS was legally entitled to send/enforce the letter, and if I violated it, there wasn't much IBT could do.

I very quickly found out that it's VERY difficult to enforce the contract provisions against management working, which is why when they attempted to sell us "strengthened language" I perceived it as smoke and mirrors.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
When there's mass complaints about management working, our BAs will sometimes make an unexpected visit to the facility. Unfortunately, time only allows a few visits per year. There's more important things for them to handle, such as attending multi day conferences at a nearby golf resort.

My BA said he was concerned about keeping my employment, since UPS was legally entitled to send/enforce the letter, and if I violated it, there wasn't much IBT could do.

I very quickly found out that it's VERY difficult to enforce the contract provisions against management working, which is why when they attempted to sell us "strengthened language" I perceived it as smoke and mirrors.

It's a legitimate concern if you're a rank-and-file member. It's a labor charge if you're appointed as an alternate steward and you're actively investigating a grievance on company property off the clock, which might be the best solution if a militant member is trying to stick it to the company for stealing our work.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It's a legitimate concern if you're a rank-and-file member. It's a labor charge if you're appointed as an alternate steward and you're actively investigating a grievance on company property off the clock, which might be the best solution if a militant member is trying to stick it to the company for stealing our work.

My BA's told me that all grievances deriving from management working should come from the steward, not the rank-and-file member, since there was just too much trouble the rank-and-file member could get into. I know years ago, we could not file on management working unless we were being harmed (e.g. if a supervisor loaded the area adjacent to you, only a steward could file on it since you were not harmed). I believe this changed, but even still, I know that one time I filed for the sup working next to me all day, every day for two weeks... and got the 'how do you know we didn't exhaust the ALO or extra work list' response (because I asked a few friends who were never called, which resulted in the 'you're not a steward' speech) then it moved onto the 'if you know the supervisor was working all day, then you must not have been focusing on your area' speech. Really ridiculous and pointless.

We have two PTers who are known management favorites driving 8 months out of the year at the top ground wage. Both are low-seniority (two-years and four-years) but known for tearing the routes the work up. I've brought this up to my BA's attention several times because I know they use these guys before seasonals and TCD, and my BA tells me 'you're not being harmed, so there's nothing you can file on.' Huh? It's affecting my ability to go FT should I choose... like I said, I'm seriously considering that withdrawal card.

Drink Craft Beer

I've noticed over the years that sups like to get chummy with the employees for the very reason that I bolded above.

"I thought we were friends, why are you questioning me for doing union work?"

The sups are only looking out for their best interest and what helps them out in the long run.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've noticed over the years that sups like to get chummy with the employees for the very reason that I bolded above.

"I thought we were friends, why are you questioning me for doing union work?"

The sups are only looking out for their best interest and what helps them out in the long run.
The same as the hourly Union employee does.

Drink Craft Beer

Correct, at least what they should be doing. But if one is worried about what filing would do to the relationship they have with a sup, then it's just going to keep happening ( get sent home and sup doing union work) because they will see nothing is being done about it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

The difference being that the PT sups have received some type of warning that the hourly will progress the situation if it's not corrected.

I've seen MANY PT sups blind side their subordinates (including their actual friends) should they believe there to be a reward. One called his subordinate "jungle bunny" (Google it if necessary) every single day, and when the subordinate -- who was clearly having a bad day -- used the friend-bomb, the PT sup elevated it. And the shocking part? Management sticks up for the PT sups, no matter what.