Supervisors Helping PH Load

idk about legal violations, but I look at it this way...

Say the drivers I load for come in early and sort out their trucks while they're not supposed to be on the clock. Makes my job easier right? One less truck I have to deal with, so how on earth could that possibly bother me?

Well, brother, first and foremost I have this job to make money. When my supervisor sees my drivers filling my pull, handling packages, loading trucks and/or just shooting the :censored2: with one another, it becomes my supervisor's priority to get me off the clock as fast as :censored2:ing possible with no regard for what I'd prefer to do, which is finish my job and get paid for every minute that it takes me to complete the work they give. A fair day's work for a fair day's pay, no?

Unfortunately, and although we're all Teamsters, when a FTer comes in to do a PTer's work, the PTer tends to get the :censored2:ing boot even though we get :censored2: hours to begin with.

That said, my drivers all come in early. I'm kind of a dick about my spot, though, and we've all figured out an arrangement where, if they're at their truck, they're inside that mother :censored2:er and the supervisors can't see them without actually coming back into our area. More often than not, though, they come in, drop off their lunchboxes and other :censored2: at their truck and dip out until after their PCM.

and that's how I prefer it.

I work to work, not to let other people do the work I'm supposed to.

As far as management working... it happens. If you don't like it, file a grievance. If you do like it, don't try to argue with super pro-union guys about how it helps you because that :censored2: is contractually not allowed except under several specific circumstances. Take the help from management, but don't think for a second that that's how this job is supposed to be. What should be happening is, instead of management, they send another hourly to help out with the work. Don't have another hourly on the payroll? Well :censored2:, man, looks like it's time to hire more people or start lettin' folks double-shift.

Last edited:

Say the drivers I load for come in early and sort out their trucks while they're not supposed to be on the clock. Makes my job easier right? One less truck I have to deal with, so how on earth could that possibly bother me?

Well, brother, first and foremost I have this job to make money. When my supervisor sees my drivers filling my pull, handling packages, loading trucks and/or just shooting the :censored2: with one another, it becomes my supervisor's priority to get me off the clock as fast as :censored2:ing possible with no regard for what I'd prefer to do, which is finish my job and get paid for every minute that it takes me to complete the work they give. A fair day's work for a fair day's pay, no?

Unfortunately, and although we're all Teamsters, when a FTer comes in to do a PTer's work, the PTer tends to get the :censored2:ing boot even though we get :censored2: hours to begin with.

That said, my drivers all come in early. I'm kind of a dick about my spot, though, and we've all figured out an arrangement where, if they're at their truck, they're inside that mother :censored2:er and the supervisors can't see them without actually coming back into our area. More often than not, though, they come in, drop off their lunchboxes and other :censored2: at their truck and dip out until after their PCM.

As far as management working... it happens. If you don't like it, file a grievance. If you do like it, don't try to argue with super pro-union guys about how it helps you because that :censored2: is contractually not allowed except under several specific circumstances. Take the help from management, but don't think for a second that that's how this job is supposed to be. What should be happening is, instead of management, they send another hourly to help out with the work. Don't have another hourly on the payroll? Well :censored2:, man, looks like it's time to hire more people or start lettin' folks double-shift.

Last edited:

Super well said.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say it's ok for sups to do hourly work and say it's ok for ft to file grievances on them doing hourly work. You agree with them hiring more hourly employees, but say you think it should be ok for sups to do ph work. Well guess what, if you let them do hourly work do you think they will ever hire another hourly?
It's not that I want it both ways..... Hire more hourly employees to stop sups from working. Simple

You can't have it both ways. You can't say it's ok for sups to do hourly work and say it's ok for ft to file grievances on them doing hourly work. You agree with them hiring more hourly employees, but say you think it should be ok for sups to do ph work. Well guess what, if you let them do hourly work do you think they will ever hire another hourly?
It's not that I want it both ways..... Hire more hourly employees to stop sups from working. Simple

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The only problem is the risk of potentially hiring too many hourlies who will spend 18 out of 20 working days per month sitting on their ass "on call." Though this could be solved simply by actually putting routes in, that way they'd have to be used.

watdaflock?

He or she is loading truck #'s 996, 995, & 994. The person loading truck number 994 just got out of his or her truck and looks on the belt for other truck number's and gets a 996 package when still at truck 994 then as soon as he or she is going to enter truck # 996 a 995 package appears but is missed because he or she is entering truck number 996 and passes him or her.
Mind blown.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Hire more Union hourlies and less PT or FT supervisors. Absolutely wrong for sups to be doing any hourly work.
I only touch packages when we get blown out because a union employee decided they wanted to stay out longer instead of coming back to the building and unloading by the designated time. I'm not going to hire someone to sit around all sort until the last 10 minutes when 10 drivers decide it's time to come in and I need them. The same drivers that push the limit refuse to unload their own truck. So guess who ends up having to do it? The one person who is sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Me.
It's goes against the contract for management to do union work. Really it's stealing money from the hourlies
It isn't black and white. I don't walk into work thinking "Alright, I'm going to unload and load today, maybe bag some smalls." There are situations when you get surprised and you have no choice but to touch a package. Like last night. I planned for x volume like IE told me. Well, I got x volume +50%. Oh and one driver with 500 pieces showed up 15 minutes before pull time. We're small, I can't just absorb that kind of volume. I only touch packages when making service is a problem. I'm not stealing work from you or anybody. Because if the plan goes the way it's suppose to, I'm not touching anything. I don't want to touch a package. I've done enough of that, but sometimes I don't have a choice.
Part time sups work so much they really should be in the union.
Do I get the benefits?

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I only touch packages when we get blown out because a union employee decided they wanted to stay out longer instead of coming back to the building and unloading by the designated time. I'm not going to hire someone to sit around all sort until the last 10 minutes when 10 drivers decide it's time to come in and I need them. The same drivers that push the limit refuse to unload their own truck. So guess who ends up having to do it? The one person who is sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Me.

It isn't black and white. I don't walk into work thinking "Alright, I'm going to unload and load today, maybe bag some smalls." There are situations when you get surprised and you have no choice but to touch a package. Like last night. I planned for x volume like IE told me. Well, I got x volume +50%. Oh and one driver with 500 pieces showed up 15 minutes before pull time. We're small, I can't just absorb that kind of volume. I only touch packages when making service is a problem. I'm not stealing work from you or anybody. Because if the plan goes the way it's suppose to, I'm not touching anything. I don't want to touch a package. I've done enough of that, but sometimes I don't have a choice.

Do I get the benefits?
Grouch...

clean hairy

Supposing a Driver comes in and works off the clock.
The Driver incurs an injury which requires surgery and extensive time off work.
Since He or She was NOT on the clock, would that be treated the same as an injury at home?
Would it or would it not be Workers Comp, since the Employee was NOT on the clock and elected to work without any directive from Managment to do so?

By The Book

Do I get the benefits?
I like the fact you seem to be a straight shooter. I would ask you to be prepared, as you know where these drivers are and what volume they have. If you need to hold a local sorter to do union work that's what you need to do. We both know that the IE plan is not always going to work so we make adjustments. Contractually it is black and white as there is language that covers supervisors working.

GetTacosOrDieTrying

What's in the box!!!!!?

Do I get the benefits?
Best thing to do is write up the slackers.

Do I get the benefits?
its good you are willing to help. But if a union worker is in the building making rounds and sees you. You are going to get written up no matter what your reason is. Best thing to to is radio for help most of the time you'll get someone from a different area to help.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

I agree with you totally...but my opinion really doesn't matter. You have to know that it is in UPS's best interest to pay 5-100 drivers at least $18 to $36 an hour to load their trucks instead of paying the loaders ALOT less than that. They have to maintain that image of "stepping over a dollar to save a nickle"