Supervisors working question.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I'm gonna say something that might not agree with the concensus but just my 2 cents. Sometimes supervisors working is just them trying to actually help and take some of the burden off hourlys. Yeah I know there's the argument that letting them get away with it will embolden management etc but at the end of the day at least where I'm at most pt sups aren't the enemy. I still get asked(and my dumb arse agrees) to fill in as a sup just because I know enough about operations and we are short on sups)
Well your in a crappy minimum wage job, you think the pt sups are not being ordered by the full time to do our job? Writing up the sups is a great way to put some extra cash into your pocket, whether you like them or not it is just business

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm gonna say something that might not agree with the concensus but just my 2 cents. Sometimes supervisors working is just them trying to actually help and take some of the burden off hourlys. Yeah I know there's the argument that letting them get away with it will embolden management etc but at the end of the day at least where I'm at most pt sups aren't the enemy. I still get asked(and my dumb arse agrees) to fill in as a sup just because I know enough about operations and we are short on sups)
i would have made alot of money from your Labor had you been in my building

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
And here’s the problem ^^^^^
Educate yourself you sound like an idiot

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
How the :censored2: do you “fill in” as a supervisor? Go ahead and instruct me to do something Teamster. Good luck.

upser2020

Seems like you guys see it as an absolute us vs them. Sure some pt sups are d1cks but a lot are not. They took a different path(and some regret taking the promotion) but typically aren't on some kinda power trip or anything and genuinely want to work with hourlys. As far as how I fill in I don't go around ordering people around per say but generally if I ask someone to do something they do it. I also work as hard as most hourlys even if I'm filling in as a sup. The main reason I get asked to do it is because I have a decent operational knowledge and get along well enough with my co workers that it's not an issue. Obviously any discipline would not be something I could do. It is a bit strange and yes I'm doing more work than I have to but it's a learning experience for me.

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
Seems like you guys see it as an absolute us vs them. Sure some pt sups are d1cks but a lot are not. They took a different path(and some regret taking the promotion) but typically aren't on some kinda power trip or anything and genuinely want to work with hourlys. As far as how I fill in I don't go around ordering people around per say but generally if I ask someone to do something they do it. I also work as hard as most hourlys even if I'm filling in as a sup. The main reason I get asked to do it is because I have a decent operational knowledge and get along well enough with my co workers that it's not an issue. Obviously any discipline would not be something I could do. It is a bit strange and yes I'm doing more work than I have to but it's a learning experience for me.
It's not about us vs. them....it's about us and them. Bargaining unit members have no standing to direct other members. Period. This isn't your local convenience food store where you get to "fill in" for the manager.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I wish when I worked in the hub you would have come along and told me to go a little faster or go help the unload
You wouldn’t have liked my reply

Ps you wanna be a supe apply to be one

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
If supervisors are working they need to hire more hourlies. If you are going around supervising they need to hire more supervisors. All you are doing @upser2020 is helping them save a buck when they are already drowning in cash and cutting people’s pay.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member

I was just like you. Had the same attitude, till I realized that this what they want. These sups aren’t your friend bud. Simple as that. Grieve.

Tron

I don't know smile*. Orientation next week. I do not understand why a worker would file a grievance on a supervisor for helping load/unload. As a supervisor at other gigs in past I always made sure I was busting my ass just as hard/harder than anyone under me. Does this attitude not work at UPS? Again I'm a newb and don't know jack. Just wanna work.

PT Car Washer

I don't know smile*. Orientation next week. I do not understand why a worker would file a grievance on a supervisor for helping load/unload. As a supervisor at other gigs in past I always made sure I was busting my ass just as hard/harder than anyone under me. Does this attitude not work at UPS? Again I'm a newb and don't know jack. Just wanna work.
A supervisors job is to supervise the work. Not perform the work. They are taking money out of your pocket.

Its_a_me

This is the exact problem at my center. Those PT sups are always working--cue the we can't hire anyone excuses.

You mean you can't hire in a timely manner after eliminating your HR dept? Shocking.

The old guys don't care as they are there for the benefits and make 30+ per hour while doing the less physical jobs but UPS can't get new guys to stay for 17.5 hrs a week at 15.50 an hour and no benefits for 9 months or time off for the 1st year.

Supervisors working = less retirement contributions to the pension, less contributions to the health care plan (and cuts even if they are hidden and happen on the prescription drug covered list), and less union power in negotiations with one less member.

Keep giving up those working conditions fought for by previous union members and wonder why you end up with a Hoffa contract.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have been with UPS for over 10 years and several unions. I have filed way to many grievances to count.
Have any of you personally (no rumored) filed for more that 1 supervisor working at the same time. I have received blowback for using another steward to go around my shop steward for not backing me when I chose to file on 3 supervisors that worked over 5 hours each in 1 day. Other hourlys afraid to file so I went in on all 3.
My steward threw out my original grievance telling me I can only choose 1. Actually he chose 1 for me and for only 3.5hrs.

Which unions have you been thru Eddie the only one I know of at ups is the teamsters

qdg2

We have more pt sups than hourlies.....

That's all I ever see working......just working away. They are easy to identify. All wearing the same shirts.....

I asked an hourly one time why a pt sup was working beside her....doing the same job....she said "Why are you asking me?" She was very indignant.

takesteady

We have more pt sups than hourlies.....

That's all I ever see working......just working away. They are easy to identify. All wearing the same shirts.....

I asked an hourly one time why a pt sup was working beside her....doing the same job....she said "Why are you asking me?" She was very indignant.
You know you could have written that sup up instead of bothering someone actually trying to work. Be the change you want to see in the world

qdg2

You know you could have written that sup up instead of bothering someone actually trying to work. Be the change you want to see in the world
Point is....so could she.

It is unreal how low you will slither to bully.

OMG....bothering someone? She doesn't want change. Her co-workers don't want change.

takesteady

Point is....so could she.

It is unreal how low you will slither to bully.

OMG....bothering someone? She doesn't want change. Her co-workers don't want change.
She was probably just unnerved by the old man hovering near her work area for no legitimate purpose.