Support our fellow working discharged NY drivers.

stink219

Go to there Website and Read the section About us read the hole section... Educate yourself.
For the last 10 years I've educated myself of TDU. And so you can understand, they are directly to blame of this situation.

~A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.~

Anonymous 12

Non active member
For the last 10 years I've educated myself of TDU. And so you can understand, they are directly to blame of this situation.

~A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.~
You can say that again.

bbsam

Staff member
I know I'm an outsider on this, but if you guys could past your bickering for a moment, what is the status of the drivers? You know, your fellow union members.

UPSGUY72

Blame is the correct word and my point they have there own agenda. I'm a TEAMSTERS not TDUer they can go pound sand a far as I'm concerned.

Island

Their supplement says the local can call a strike any time the company won't come to the negotiation table to resolve a problem. I'm not sure if that ignores or is subject to other language in the national about giving notice, etc. etc, because the supplement is sort of vague about it. It also says that if people call a strike without the authority of a union rep or the local hall leadership then the company can fire everyone involved if the union can't or won't make them go back to work. So it really comes down to whether the local is behind the BA who called the strike. So far there's mixed signals but if they are indeed all on a working termination then I have no doubt the company is going to follow the article and slowly replace every single one of those drivers. I'd imagine it would take a couple months to hire that many drivers... and woe to the PTers, if 250 employees just went FT then you'll be waiting twenty years to get one of their jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would never walk out based solely on the words of a BA. It would take someone much higher up the food chain before I would even consider it.

bbsam, the company can take their sweet time because it knows that they have these drivers right where they want them. One little thing and they are gone for good.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Their supplement says the local can call a strike any time the company won't come to the negotiation table to resolve a problem. I'm not sure if that ignores or is subject to other language in the national about giving notice, etc. etc, because the supplement is sort of vague about it. It also says that if people call a strike without the authority of a union rep or the local hall leadership then the company can fire everyone involved if the union can't or won't make them go back to work. So it really comes down to whether the local is behind the BA who called the strike. So far there's mixed signals but if they are indeed all on a working termination then I have no doubt the company is going to follow the article and slowly replace every single one of those drivers. I'd imagine it would take a couple months to hire that many drivers... and woe to the PTers, if 250 employees just went FT then you'll be waiting twenty years to get one of their jobs.
Do you know about these thing that are called paragraphs???

Island

The Internet is beneath proper narrative and structured thought. If we all screamed at each other in prosaic fashion, there would be no difference - a more poetic flamewar is still a flamewar. If you can't read, maybe you belong on the Internet.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
The Internet is beneath proper narrative and structured thought. If we all screamed at each other in prosaic fashion, there would be no difference - a more poetic flamewar is still a flamewar. If you can't read, maybe you belong on the Internet.
Yea I know all this but just use paragraphs so it easier to read. I mean you took the time to post it I'd like to take the time to read it but not like a big jumbled mess. Come on man.

UPSGUY72

That's not what it says. Read all of Article 18 of 804 supplement. The company would never have a clause that says you can walk anytime time we disagree with you and that is what you are saying.

The biggest problem they first need to overcome is that there was no Strike vote.. Thus we call what they did a Wildcat Walkout / Strike which are illegal thus Section 5 of Article 18 of there supplement will apply...

bbsam

Staff member
Why would you concern yourself with this??
because I'm interested in the dynamics and how the company / union deal with the situation. You gotta admit, it doesn't happen every day. Also, for a thread about supporting those drivers, dreadful little has been said about them. That's the real question. Not why am I interested in their plight, but why are so few of their union brothers not? 407 explained it well. The drivers following their BA put themselves in a position that other members really can't do anything to help. The company holds all the cards now.

Island

That's not what it says. Read all of Article 18 of 804 supplement. The company would never have a clause that says you can walk anytime time we disagree with you and that is what you are saying.

The biggest problem they first need to overcome is that there was no Strike vote.. Thus we call what they did a Wildcat Walkout / Strike which are illegal thus Section 5 of Article 18 of there supplement will apply...
Semantics.
It's true, they would have to grieve the no-rep termination and wait 10 days, then give a division manager 2 days to make an executive decision. A walkout can be called by any union rep:
Union’s authorized representatives who will deal with the Employer, make commitments for the Union generally and in particular have the sole authority to act for the Union in calling or instituting strikes or any stoppages of work in a case where a strike or stoppage is authorized under this Agreement
It is arguable about whether that rep needs to have a formal vote. I don't think it matters in this case, it was still a bad decision. Even if Liam had called a vote at an informal meeting, it wouldn't matter. Same repercussions for having a sudden strike without waiting out the grievance over that driver's no-rep termination. If there had been a regular hall meeting that very day of the termination and a vote had unanimously called for a strike, it still would have been illegal because it was before the waiting period was over.

Island

Yea I know all this but just use paragraphs so it easier to read. I mean you took the time to post it I'd like to take the time to read it but not like a big jumbled mess. Come on man.
As I already said, I'm not going to write fancy for a flamewar forum, if you don't want to read it you don't have to.