Switch it up?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Recently I came into an opportunity to join the steam and pipe fitters union to begin an apprenticeship in HVAC. I’m a little hesitant because I don’t like change and UPS has been good to me. Although, I’d like to learn a skilled trade. It’s a 5 year program to make journeyman. Can anybody give me a reason not to?
Last year I quit after five years of UPS to take an electrical class and I haven't looked back. Best decision I made in a long time. For me, finding a trade I liked doing has been life-changing. For the first time ever I feel satisfied with the work I'm doing. Sure it's paying less but the long term benefits far outweigh that fact. I wish I did this ten years ago.

None of UPS's typical bull:censored2: to deal with, I'm not destroying my body or stressing myself out, I go home at the same time every day after eight hours, I'm learning a valuable skill that isn't dependent on one company and a union and I can take it with me anywhere I want to go to market myself and negotiate my own wage. Not to mention I can actually enjoy Christmas time now.

And honestly I wouldn't mind retiring later at all. The work isn't backbreaking, it requires enough critical and abstract thinking to keep me sharp in my later years, and I actually like doing it. There are few things I find more satisfying that seeing a building I've spent weeks or even months wiring come to life at the flick of a few breakers.

You're asking for a reason not to, but I don't have any. If you enjoy doing HVAC/pipefitting kind of work, you have every reason to make the jump.

PT Car Washer

Last year I quit after five years of UPS to take an electrical class and I haven't looked back. Best decision I made in a long time. For me, finding a trade I liked doing has been life-changing. For the first time ever I feel satisfied with the work I'm doing. Sure it's paying less but the long term benefits far outweigh that fact. I wish I did this ten years ago.

None of UPS's typical bull:censored2: to deal with, I'm not destroying my body or stressing myself out, I go home at the same time every day after eight hours, I'm learning a valuable skill that isn't dependent on one company and a union and I can take it with me anywhere I want to go to market myself and negotiate my own wage. Not to mention I can actually enjoy Christmas time now.

And honestly I wouldn't mind retiring later at all. The work isn't backbreaking, it requires enough critical and abstract thinking to keep me sharp in my later years, and I actually like doing it. There are few things I find more satisfying that seeing a building I've spent weeks or even months wiring come to life at the flick of a few breakers.

You're asking for a reason not to, but I don't have any. If you enjoy doing HVAC/pipefitting kind of work, you have every reason to make the jump.
Last week we had a FT package car driver put in his two week notice. Less then seven years in and had his own route and a hard worker. He just decided he was not happy and never would be and it was time for a change. People here and at my building disrespect me for never going FT, but guess what? I enjoy my work and put in more hours then some FT. Do what makes you happy.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Last week we had a FT package car driver put in his two week notice. Less then seven years in and had his own route and a hard worker. He just decided he was not happy and never would be and it was time for a change. People here and at my building disrespect me for never going FT, but guess what? I enjoy my work and put in more hours then some FT. Do what makes you happy.
Kinda the situation I was in. Just couldn't see me doing that the rest of my life.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My big brother has a plumber/pipefitter the last 35-40 years. I applied myself back then with Local 72 in Atlanta but was turned down due to Affirmative Action programs back then. My brother always made good money, they were building skyscapers on every block of Atlanta back then and he was always busy. He got a job with General Motors 30 years ago, he works on all kind of plumbing and hydralic problems involving the plant's assembly lines. He works at the Bowling Green Corvette Plant now. He really doesn't actually work much, he is just there for emergencies or when they install new equipment. His pay now is UAW based, I make a couple of dollars more an hour and my pension is twice as good as his. He does make a lot of overtime though.

35years

Gravy route
It's your life, but if you truely want the cons..

If you continued driving instead of the 5 years of training for HVAC, you would have 11 years towards a great pension. 25 and out.

HVAC can be cyclical. Even experienced workers during the recession had a hard time.

HVAC can be on-call. Weekends, evenings and long periods with no work can be really difficult. No pension contributions when you are off work. You also may have to travel to inconsistant locations doing HVAC.

HVAC is a young man's trade, and you may be late to the party. Can you imagine your dad climbing latters and hanging duct, negotiating crawl spaces and attics?

In a STRONG economy resi HVAC in most places pays 40-60k, 60-100k comercial. You are not likely to get a good stable comercial posistion untill you have a great deal of experience. Our top seniority drivers can pull down 125k if you want the work.

I dont know the benefit package for most HVAC guys but i doubt they get 7 weeks paid vacation, full, free, awesome health insureance for the whole family and for many of us a 50k a year pension.

UPS has posibillites for less physically demanding jobs as you gain seniority. Feeders, cush rural routes, porter jobs to name a few. With 6 years in already it is highly unlikely you face lay offs...Many HVAC guys with 15 years in found it hard to find work 10 years ago. As a RPCD with the new contract you might have to work a few Saturdays a year, none if you have good seniority.

Your choice.

I actually enjoy my job most days. I know most everyone on my route. The first 6 years of driving is by far the worst.

Good luck

Box Ox

Recently I came into an opportunity to join the steam and pipe fitters union to begin an apprenticeship in HVAC. I’m a little hesitant because I don’t like change and UPS has been good to me. Although, I’d like to learn a skilled trade. It’s a 5 year program to make journeyman. Can anybody give me a reason not to?

I'd consider what a worst or medium-case scenario might be going the HVAC route and whether I'd regret having left UPS if it were to happen.Would I still be making the minimum amount of money I'd need to make it?

Making good money in HVAC might be a better bet than making good money in package delivery over the next couple decades. Gonna be more and more shipping competitors and automation pushing industry wages down.

The Driver

I drive.
Making good money in HVAC might be a better bet than making good money in package delivery over the next couple decades. Gonna be more and more shipping competitors and automation pushing industry wages down.

While that's true I think the flipside is can also be true which is to say the overall size of the industry pie is growing at a nice clip as well, so there is more competition but much more work overall every year. Who knows what will happen when/if the competition realizes what kind of headache running their own logistics actually is because of the high costs over time.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Being in your area, and possibly in your same division, or even district, I’d recommend staying and getting into Feeder. As the below post mentions.

There are a lot of changes coming up in our area. With the closure of Bruno, and the additional feeder jobs that have been announced, you could probably get a decent feeder run in no time!
I haven’t seen a feeder list up in 4 years. I’d jump on that chance. There’s just no knowing when that’ll ever happen again. And won’t feeder jobs be the first to be replaced by automation?

Driver7906

There will always be employment in HVAC but I don’t know of any companies in that industry that offer the job security, benefits, retirement, etc that UPS does.

HVAC work is pretty brutal work too. Having to replace an AC unit during the summer months, going up on the roof of a house, crawling around in people’s ceilings... no thanks.

As far as staying at UPS long term with minimal physical pain, Feeder is the best way to “switch it up” if the opportunity is there.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.

I’m in the Bay Area too. If you don’t want it I’ll take it.

CalDrvr06

I'm at jus under 47k for the year..money talks put ur time in, get that home paid off as quick as possible. Then look into a clerk position or a porter job, UPS takes our youth from us while were young during our PT years. Time to get it all back in the 3rd and 4th qtr of our careers, dnt give up now. IMO