Switch it up?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by S.F. Rush, May 27, 2019.

1. S.F. Rush

S.F. Rush All Encompassing Member

Recently I came into an opportunity to join the steam and pipe fitters union to begin an apprenticeship in HVAC. I’m a little hesitant because I don’t like change and UPS has been good to me. Although, I’d like to learn a skilled trade. It’s a 5 year program to make journeyman. Can anybody give me a reason not to?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Are you PT or FT (driver)?
    How many years?

3. S.F. Rush

Ft RPCD 6 years

4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Do you dislike working at UPS?
    If you find yourself dreading going in and the horrible days outnumbering the good. Do it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

The cost of living is rather high in your area. Can you support yourself/family while earning low wages your first five years?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. MrBrown

MrBrown Active Member

I use to be in the carpenters union and experienced a lot of layoffs and time on the bench. One of the perks at ups is youre a “company guy”. Im guaranteed work, you wont have that in the trades

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. CalDrvr06

CalDrvr06 Member

Electrician, carpenters union, laborer union all experience times of layoffs. Heavy machine operators and maintenance union works are the only guys I see consistently working. IMO

8. CalDrvr06

CalDrvr06 Member

Its feast or famine really. I come from a family of union works (all job sets) and trucking is the most consistent day in and day out. And u work for the best. Compensation wise, u dnt like 40$ full benefits,weekends off and 95k a yr? Unless you like periods of layoff if u can afford it financially.

9. S.F. Rush

There are definite challenging days but overall I’m pretty grateful for the job

10. S.F. Rush

I’ve always found a way to make it work. This contract we have now will take 5 years to hit over 40 bucks/hr. 5 year HVAC program will give a $59-69/hr.

11. S.F. Rush

Well the Bay Area is under staffed to say the least in all the trades. It’s a risk I get it. But transferring to where I actually want to live is gonna be a 10+ year wait. I can take HVAC anywhere I want theoretically

12. Rack em

Rack em First to worst!

It sounds like you've already made up your mind and you are just waiting for random people on the internet to agree with your decision to make yourself feel better?

This is your decision that effects your life so you should be making it yourself and not depending on random people from the internet to make it for you. Just my 2 cents.

13. S.F. Rush

Hey man, I’m really just trying to bring something new to talk about on this forum. I’m so sorry to waste your precious internet time everyone.

A little advice from others who actually have info on the matter is not nothing. So what’s the problem?

14. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Stay at UPS and go feeders. Instead of 38 an hour to kill yourself and cripple your body, it’ll be 40 an hour to drive around and do nothing, and never touch cardboard ever again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Feeder665

Feeder665 Go big or go home!

Being in your area, and possibly in your same division, or even district, I’d recommend staying and getting into Feeder. As the below post mentions.

There are a lot of changes coming up in our area. With the closure of Bruno, and the additional feeder jobs that have been announced, you could probably get a decent feeder run in no time!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. sandwich

sandwich The resident gearhead

All of you who work yourselves into becoming a cripple are doing it wrong. Just gotta work smooth and safe. Let the kids who dont know how to read work themselves into the ground.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. dookie stain

dookie stain Cornfed whiteboy

By the time your apprenticeship is over you’ll be making double the hourly wage of a driver. You don’t have to wait for a transfer you can go wherever work is available. Lots of friends in different trades and they move all over whenever they want but unlike UPS your wage won’t stay the same if you go somewhere else. I think the retirement age is a lot higher than UPS. I’d make the move if I were you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Poop Head

Poop Head Lovin' every minute of it!

Don't lie, you miss this :censored2:. Cry in the shower about it every-single-week.

19. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut “They” are coming for us.

You have kids? You like holidays and not working like an idiot til late every night? Make the switch, especially if your 30 or younger.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Brisket

Brisket Well-Known Member

What he said, and

Roll damn Tide!