Switching routes

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Sometimes I think about that set up and think it would amazing to just put guys where I want them, especially to avoid 9.5s. On the other hand I absolutely HATE the idea of not knowing who is going to end up where. It's a waste of time doing that crap after the start
Sometimes you can create a lot of 9.5's that way too. Best to let the drivers work it out, IMO. Here anyway.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sometimes I think about that set up and think it would amazing to just put guys where I want them, especially to avoid 9.5s. On the other hand I absolutely HATE the idea of not knowing who is going to end up where. It's a waste of time doing that crap after the start
The vast majority should be same driver on same routes every day. Only time you should need to scramble at the last minute is to cover people who call in sick.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The vast majority should be same driver on same routes every day. Only time you should need to scramble at the last minute is to cover people who call in sick.
Fair point. There's still an unknown though, especially with days off. I would rather just not be bothered. The hour before driver start is crazy enough

oldngray

nowhere special
Sometimes you can create a lot of 9.5's that way too. Best to let the drivers work it out, IMO. Here anyway.
My center had bid routes so you bid pretty much the same thing every day unless you were a cover driver. UPS tried to redefine it to say you didn't did a route but a position in a loop but since you had the right to follow the majority of your work effectively there was little difference.

...unless your Trip was Cut?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every once in a while they would let a bid driver "jump" and cover one of their old routes for a day or so. I did this a few times---it was a nice change of pace and gave me a chance to see some folks that I hadn't seen in a while.

I can't recall the last time they let anyone do this.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Only time I take a Bid guy off his route is if he did something to warrant it. Not because it's easier for me. I'll ride with a guy going out blind so I can help him learn it. Taking the easy way is often times not the right way.

Just curious, what would warrant taking a
bid driver off his route?