Take a look at the condition of this package as it was delivered by Fedex

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Looks ok to me...

Ditto, short of reclosing that seam with packing tape, have a QA clerck check the contents.

At least in my hub, we have an hourly that does repacks and 2 QA clercks in the am preload for stuff like this.

Qa clercks used to have stickers that the boxes were checked and/or repacked before going "out for delivery" by the final handler, the lowly dumb package car driver... Instead, I can add a package comment in the powerpad that it got wet, or retaped.

MassWineGuy

Even if the box was inadequate, some FedEx person somewhere in the chain could and should have taped it up a little. Ok, so the shipper misjudged it. That doesn't mean we should watch while the shipment falls apart.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Even if the box was inadequate, some FedEx person somewhere in the chain could and should have taped it up a little. Ok, so the shipper misjudged it. That doesn't mean we should watch while the shipment falls apart.
Ultimately it's the shippers responsibility. Besides, were not in the packing business.

STFXG

I've had to many times. And I always point out poor packaging and tell the customer to file a claim. The customer always can refuse it.
You don't blame fedex? They lob you up a softball and you wiff?

MFE would knock it out of the park.

dezguy

Would you deliver a package that looked like that?
Not much choice when your manager tells you you have to. I've had packages so damaged that I have been told to just put it in a mail bag and see if the customer will sign for it. Management cares just as much as hourlies do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've had to many times. And I always point out poor packaging and tell the customer to file a claim. The customer always can refuse it.

Me too. I have delivered many boxes that look like this, always with an apology to the customer that we didn't take care of their package. I will not re-tape a box like this because to do so would be trying to hide our mishandling of it. A split seam or a small tear? I'll use my tape gun. This box goes to the consignee "as-is".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not much choice when your manager tells you you have to. I've had packages so damaged that I have been told to just put it in a mail bag and see if the customer will sign for it. Management cares just as much as hourlies do.

Yes!! When I used to do Heavyweight I had a rare Corvette hood that had two forklift holes straight through the box, and clean through the part. This is after we'd already trashed the first one, which the consignee had refused. When I explained that this box would also be refused, I was told "it's policy" to attempt even severely damaged packages. The recipient was extremely angry, and rightfully so.

Perfectly packaged, with lots of padding, and framed with 1x4s. No excuse to screw it up that bad.

It will be fine

I'm sure you tell your people to deliver damaged packages every day. I'm sure there's plenty of them at Ground.
Paid by the piece. We deliver everything. I put in a comment in the scanner and tell the recipient to call the shipper right away and file a claim. Then they can pay me to go back and pick it up.