Take a moment to reflect. It is Founders Day

There is still good supervisors and managers they are just inept at the decision making for lack of experiance in the last five years or so.

I wouldn't say inept. They're not allowed to be inept........or intelligent. I give them credit for being able to tread water with their hands tied.

I wouldn't say inept. They're not allowed to be inept........or intelligent. I give them credit for being able to tread water with their hands tied.
They have almost no purpose anymore making them inept. Don't get me wrong I do work for some good ass decision makers but their corporate castration has really rendered them inept.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Last week our center manager had a day off. The On-Car Supes added a route. Their hands are not as tied as they make you believe.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
There is still good supervisors and managers they are just inept at the decision making for lack of experiance in the last five years or so.

it irks me to no end that we have a GREAT management team at our center,but they ARENT ALLOWED TO MANAGE THE CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know i'm an old man shouting at clouds ,but dammit I MISS those days!

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

BrownArmy

Our center manager mentioned it at this morning's PCM:

Thirty seconds about Founder's Day, which followed a five(!) minute demonstration about how to take an over-70 out the back door utilizing a hand-truck.

Waiting for the PCM about how to tie my shoes.

rod

Retired 22 years
What!!! You guys didn't get a piece of an old airplane or a toy UPS truck or a key chain or a money clip or one of the many prizes they used to hand out on Founders Day? I've got a big box in the basement full of that stuff. I was always kind of a big deal while I was working. They usually had hotdogs and hamburgers for us when we got back to the building (if you got back before they went home).

What!!! You guys didn't get a piece of an old airplane or a toy UPS truck or a key chain or a money clip or one of the many prizes they used to hand out on Founders Day? I've got a big box in the basement full of that stuff. I was always kind of a big deal while I was working. They usually had hotdogs and hamburgers for us when we got back to the building (if you got back before they went home).
Drivers get something better than that at the new ups these days. An 11.45 plan dispatch.

Inbred is sexy too in Chicago.
I'm really heavily Irish. My grandfather once sat me down his name was Bernie. I remember this talk like it was yesterday. He told me my ancestors couldn't get of that damm island for like 800 years and that we were all inbred. This is why we were how we are. This sticks oth me forever.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Having met Mr Casey too, I am not as sure as you are.

I know that one of the most outstanding attributes of Mr Casey was his ability to adapt to changing conditions.

No one really knows what he would have done in today's world but one thing is for sure is that he would not have continued trying to run the same business model in the last 15 years that was run in the previous 15 years.

Would he run the same business model? No, probably not.

Would his business model abide by a set of core principles? I think so.

Would his core principles allow the CEO to take an ever increasing double-digit million dollar compensation package while the "team's" compensation stagnated? I don't think so.

Read a quick take on Casey at James Casey-UPS

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
OK,I took a moment and reflected.
I think Casey was dead when I started.
They handed out post card packets at the PCM.
4 pics from Atlantic Canada taken with a real camera.
Pkg cars in all 4 provinces.(ups expansion)
They want us to relocate there.
I see no romance in trying to compare the
"American messenger Company" to todays ups.
Experts tell the shareholders where to cut corners,
and us soldiers are sent into battle naked and unarmed.
The teamsters is a facade for a union.
Hoax,the ones that admire the new UPS admire the shareholders.
They look at numbers.It's all numbers.If I run 150 over,my sup
says nothing,because he knows If he did it his wife would be in bed
by the time he got home.I guess I get treated fairly compared to
the harassment I see some guys go through just because they
don't like them.Happy fricken founders day Jim,wherever you are.

brown_trousers

Would he run the same business model? No, probably not.

Would his business model abide by a set of core principles? I think so.

Would his core principles allow the CEO to take an ever increasing double-digit million dollar compensation package while the "team's" compensation stagnated? I don't think so.

Very true, whats the point of even living if one abondons all principles

oldupsman

They probably wouldn't recognize the company today. But I disagree with the "mess" part. The company is all about profit, and damn, we're good at that.
We're real good at that. And that's why I made a career there. And retired there. And happy as a proverbial pig in poop now.
Too many drivers worry about stuff they can't control. There's 2 things you can control every day. Get your butt back to the center in one piece.
Then get the package car back to the center in one piece. And the rest of the stuff that goes on, and we all know what that is, don't worry
about that stuff. That stuff comes and it goes. There isn't a center manager alive who won't take those first 2 every day. And work around the rest.