taking lunch at your home

Channahon

The last few years of my career, I brought my lunch to work, because I thought if I leave midday, I wouldn't come back.

My district manager was nice enough to stop by my office on ocassion and invite me to lunch with other staff/division managers. I politely declined citing my reason as stated above.

Now ask me to go for a drink after work, well to me that was time well spent, a nice way to unwind at the end of the day.

ups1990

Here, in So. Cal. It's ok, if it is within 1 mile round trip. I, live one block from my route, so going home is an option for me. When at home for lunch, it's spent eating, logging on to the BC, ebay, and Chargers.com.

pudg00

pudg00
I live on my route so it is no big deal. Sup. told me if I run any route in my loop I can go home for lunch. Could be 5 or 6 miles away but he said no problem. I also get splits that take me right by my house so it works out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I take my hour and 20 at the end of every day so I can have some time with my family during the week. Since we don't have a job that starts at 6 in the morning (8:20 is our start time) I always run the risk of missing a chance to see my daughters during the week. I get home to late.

Do you mean that you actually punch out and go home 1hr 20 minutes early, or you go to the house before you drive back to the center?

I just had a 3 day ride and I asked my Sup. this question. He is cool with a 1 mile radius from where I deliver my last stop before punching out. i have a lot of choices in that distance. I don't have the luxury of taking it at home. Scratch is right though, I'm sure if you asked 5 different managers, you'd get 5 a different responses.

3 day ride? Sounds unusual to me, when all that is required is a one day safety ride. Unmless you were due for a swm ride, which would push it to 2. Please be careful out there, my brother.:happy2:

Raw

Raw Member
....just make sure you clock off for lunch as soon as you get back in your pkg. car the last stop before lunch and you clock back in when you stop your pkg. car in front of your first stop after lunch......:sad-little:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
....just make sure you clock off for lunch as soon as you get back in your pkg. car the last stop before lunch and you clock back in when you stop your pkg. car in front of your first stop after lunch......:sad-little:
Judgment involved to some extent but it seem like you would go on lunch after you break trace to go to lunch and then clock back in when you pick up trace again.

brownman15

Judgment involved to some extent but it seem like you would go on lunch after you break trace to go to lunch and then clock back in when you pick up trace again.

you are still working not relieved from duty. you are not relieved from duty until you step off that package car.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaxster

you are still working not relieved from duty. you are not relieved from duty until you step off that package car.

I would think that if you break trace to do something personal, you are relieved from duty.

Lawyers could have fun with this.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

As in everything we discuss here at the Cafe, it depends on your UPS franchise. My on-road told me the other day, as he was instructing (harassing) me, that as soon as I break trace, lunch starts. Since I eat at restaurants on my route everyday, I've just worked it out so that where I end up eating, is on trace.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lunch starts when my butt gets out of the seat and I walk away from the truck. As long as I am driving I am on the clock.

NHDRVR

Do you mean that you actually punch out and go home 1hr 20 minutes early, or you go to the house before you drive back to the center?

3 day ride? Sounds unusual to me, when all that is required is a one day safety ride. Unmless you were due for a swm ride, which would push it to 2. Please be careful out there, my brother.:happy2:

My last stop of the day is my house where I code off my lunch/breaks as soon as I turn off the truck in my driveway. We aren't harrassed (lately anyways) about lunch/breaks in the contractually obligated times. On Fridays I usually take my 2 ten's and then cut my hour all together so I can get home that much earlier. We do not get docked our lunch if we don't take it.

I assumed that since the class-action lawsuit about getting docked for lunches went through that the company policy changed about lunchs. I know they want you to take them (OSHA/DOT and all that crap) but I'm curious that if there are still some centers around the country that dock you an hour if you don't put it in the board. We have been getting verbals about it but so far no one has gotten a written.