Talked to a Fed Ex driver

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A heavier workload = job security. And not all Fed Ed Express packages go on a plane. Not that it matters though because 100% of the packages are delivered from a truck. For UPS this whole issue is about being fair. For FedEx its all about losing an exemption that will force them to compete based on service alone instead of of trying to scare our customers. If they are truly a competitive company then whether or not they can hide behind the RLA won't be a factor.

Im not saying anything about the rla and if they fly on planes or not...the ONLY thing Im stating is that for the workload vs wage they do better if you take in consideration all factors including mgt issues and overall stress on the mind and body. this would be easier to understand if both companies worked the same 40 hours that fedex usually does and no overtime was factored in. many drivers but up with the ***** because of the extra overtime that really adds up over the year even if its only a few hours a week. my opinion on rla is if they are happy with everything then they have nothing to worry about if this thing passes. bothe companies have an airline and trucks, two totally exact business models.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A heavier workload = job security. And not all Fed Ed Express packages go on a plane. Not that it matters though because 100% of the packages are delivered from a truck. For UPS this whole issue is about being fair. For FedEx its all about losing an exemption that will force them to compete based on service alone instead of of trying to scare our customers. If they are truly a competitive company then whether or not they can hide behind the RLA won't be a factor.

This could also mean earlier retirement if your not careful and working as safe as possible. Its scary to think about one twist with a heavy box and it can tweak your back out so bad that you wont have anymore career with ups. At least fedex mixes it up with a few boxes and lots of letters and small parcels. Mgt keep on saying that ups cant keep paying drivers so much more money than fedex drivers, but at 7 bucks more(per fedexfor life) and take both workloads, I believe ups is getting a deal. How about this, have mgt drop our piece count and stop count to match fedex drivers and see how they like that. Drop our hourly rate to a topped out fedex currier rate.I can guarantee they would have a MAJOR problem with that too because they would feel that they arent getting their fair days work out of us... that we were making too much for the workload..interesting to think about..do you think fedex is saying that about their drivers.."bobs not pulling his weight with a load of 50 stops and 150 pieces, theres too many damn letters in his car he has one whole shelf empty"...I dont think so. In ups' eyes if its not bricked out its not a full day. How many cars do you think fedex is busting out on a daily basic..probably not even close to ups even though our on car stops and pieces are many time more than fedex.

bluehdmc

Exactly its a big "IF"

If the union came in,everything could change,nothing could change.Who knows.

True, even if the union didn't come in Fedex could "freeze" your wages, start making you contribute to you benefits, stop or lower 401K contributions, (oh wait, didn't they already do that to you?).
Also word could concieveably come down from Memphis to cut out part-time employees or any other terms of your employment and you have no "contract" to fall back on.

My station has some drivers that are really old.Been with the company since 74.They like to complain alot but all old people complain.But i could just imagine if thier job duties changed and became more like UPS.
The vacation would be over.

Maybe they complain because of the changes that have happened since they were hired? Also that's kinda discrimatitory, "all old people complain".
IF you are lucky, someday you may be "old" and will feel entitled to complain about the "good old days".

shrimpfire

shrimpfire
True, even if the union didn't come in Fedex could "freeze" your wages, start making you contribute to you benefits, stop or lower 401K contributions, (oh wait, didn't they already do that to you?).
Also word could concieveably come down from Memphis to cut out part-time employees or any other terms of your employment and you have no "contract" to fall back on.

Maybe they complain because of the changes that have happened since they were hired? Also that's kinda discrimatitory, "all old people complain".
IF you are lucky, someday you may be "old" and will feel entitled to complain about the "good old days".
We dont have to much to fall back on either

barnyard

KTM rider
The driver that I talk to daily, wants to see a reclassification. He believes that if the reclass occurs, he will get his 401k match back, a raise and better treatment to avoid unionization.

I've said it before and I will say it again, just because you are reclassified, does not mean that FedEx will go union. If it were to happen, I really believe that it would take a minimum of 5 years to get one station unionized, if ever. I truly doubt that the whole company would ever be unionized.

Annnnd if the whole company is not organized, it would be really easy to not negotiate, let a station strike, fire them all and replace them with non-union people.

Fred S will not allow his business to unionize.

TB

LED

The Fedex express driver on my route said he wants the union in. He also said the majority of his co-workers have said that they will vote the union in given a chance.

They want pay and benefits like UPS.

pretzel_man

I'd hate to go union because the percs we'd lose.Plus i dont wanna pick up ground.Im happy with evelopes.

I've been in agreement with this all along... There is absolutely no reason that FedEx Express would ever want to be unionized. You make plenty of money. You are happy. You have perks.

So, why fight the RLA bill? The bill does NOT make you unionized. It does nothing but put you under the same rules as UPS.

So why the concern?

P-Man

thom1842

I am a Part time Air driver for UPS. I punch in at the Airport, pick up only air packages, and drop them off at the airport. I bid up to driver from a ramp employee (ground crew for planes) and have always been stationed at the airport.

Our jobs are not much different it seems.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
Guess I'll throw my hat into this discussion. As a former FedEx Express driver, I know both sides. Yes, I did make less money, more like $10.00 an hour less. I left PHX in 2004 making just less than $16.00 an hour and that was with 4 yrs with the company. I had to take a .75 pay cut to transfer out to Florida AND go part-time. Back in PHX, my route had 3 UPS drivers in the same area. I had 25 p1 (10:30) and 45-55 (3:00/end of day) and 20ish pick up stops and back to the building by 6:30pm. FedEx definately had some good perks. $75.00 standby flight tickets, 75% off shipping (overnight letter..less than $6.00). My favorite..rental car discounts with the full coverage insurance included. But I did pay $45.00 a week for medical/dental for me and my family. Nice clean trucks with cold A/C. But I would give all that up for 10.00 an hour more and our UPS benefits. Do I think FedEx will ever go union or should, no I dont.

steeltoe

I do not understand all the back and forth. We are both delivery companies that have airplanes. It should not matter if 1 package or 12 milion per day go on airplanes or not. We are both delivery companies. Number of plans should not matter, working on the ramp, delivering only next day air or express. None of that should matter. Both companies deliver packages from origin point A to destination point B. If you work in HR for Delta, you work for a company that moves people, products, animals, etc from Airport to Airport. You work for an Airline, not a delivery company like UPS and FedEx. We have drivers who only deliver air as well. This does not make them Airline employee's. They work for a package delivery company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Majority of Fedex drivers will tell you this exact same thing.Yeah UPS makes more than us but you guys deserve it.Our jobs are completly different.

BS. You are completely full of it. I am so effing tired of troll plants like you coming on here and acting like you are the real deal. The majority of real FedeEx drivers would tell you they've had it with being treated like crap.

Ms.PacMan

Who does UPS hope will unionize if not FedEx Express? Feeders? Freight? FedEx ground "contractors" - can they even be unionized as non-employees?

My worst fear is that FedEx will not unionize and sometime in the future UPS will ask for contract concessions and trot out 200,000 union employee hand written letters that say yes, we agree; UPS is no longer competitive because we are unionized, hence the lower revenues and need for concessions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Please stop feeding the troll :dead:

Exactly. FedEx4Life is a plant, yet you guys are getting sucked-in big time. He's a fake, as demonstrated many times by his lack of accurate information about the company. Nobody who actually worked for FedEx would have so many "facts" wrong about the company. Only about half of what he has said is true, about the level of information you'd have from looking at brownbailout.com and the FedEx website. Troll, pure and simple.

dei8

Who does UPS hope will unionize if not FedEx Express? Feeders? Freight? FedEx ground "contractors" - can they even be unionized as non-employees?

My worst fear is that FedEx will not unionize and sometime in the future UPS will ask for contract concessions and trot out 200,000 union employee hand written letters that say yes, we agree; UPS is no longer competitive because we are unionized, hence the lower revenues and need for concessions.

Wow, what a great point. wouldnt that be a kick in the butt. I cant figure out what UPS gets from all this. I figured UPS would want it the other way and be classified as an airline too. I know the Union wouldnt let that happen.

FedEX 4 Life

Wow, what a great point. wouldnt that be a kick in the butt. I cant figure out what UPS gets from all this. I figured UPS would want it the other way and be classified as an airline too. I know the Union wouldnt let that happen.
I think UPS wants it because it would disrupt operations,ruin service and cause immediate layoffs.Fedex would become the new DHL.