Teamcare

BrownBrokeDown

You have no idea, trust me.
Wait until you're married, with children.
That's when you will realize how good your benefits aren't.

I'm not rooting against you.
That annual deductible will eat you alive.
Hopefully your wife has a good plan where she works that you can enroll in.
LMAO, hope your wife has a good plan??? My daytime job, ft vs pt at ups, Multi-national company, billion dollar company, if i still had the insurance at it, the deductible would be $6,000 for the family...

InsideUPS

What leverage did UPS have to take that type of position in negotiations?
As I remember it, they were recording record profits and had no reason to believe that was going to change.
I submit that UPS didn't care one way or the other, rather it was the Teamsters that wanted the health care money to sure up a, destine to fail without us, Central States Health Care plan.
This is evident in the fact that we gave other concessions in order to get it.

I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in playing our way back to the field.

I totally agree that the entire healthcare/TeamCare issue during our last contract was nothing but a ruse. Each Local Union should have had the option to choose healthcare plans that are available in their own immediate/respective areas. Some Local Unions were permitted to stay with their own healthcare plans (not company...not Union) as outlined in the Riders while others were FORCED to join TeamCare. It all depended on how much "political clout" your BA had at the time of the agreement. (As an FYI to some....there are Locals that negotiate their own healthcare plans with local providers that have superior benefits to that of TeamCare.)

Forcing people into the CS TeamCare plan was not done in the best interest of the UPS Teamster members......it was done to supplement yet another Central States related entity that has been historically synonymous with "fiscal mismanagement" and/or "reduced benefits".... a.k.a. (CSPF) This is yet another issue that makes it very difficult to organize non-union companies. The benefits of being in a Union are reduced with each and every contract for many. (Selling out the unborn, the newbies, and the retired while supplementing the older active employees is a tactic that continues to work very well for both the company and the Union)

anHOURover

LMAO, hope your wife has a good plan??? My daytime job, ft vs pt at ups, Multi-national company, billion dollar company, if i still had the insurance at it, the deductible would be $6,000 for the family...
and my wife has Aetna that actually mirrors our company plan... Want to know the difference... Her Union didn't sell out the members to funnel the $ in to use for other mismanagement !! It's still out there. Stop acting like it's not! I got pics to prove it.. Let me know when you are ready.... FACT @Lead Belly @wide load @BigUnionGuy

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Exactly, the guy I was referring to (@FrigidFTSup) is a UPS supervisor with a HC plan very much like the one you described, so it's really no laughing matter.
He's a young, single, newly promoted on-car supe, who is engaged and naive about the cost of health care for a family.
I was once the same way, until those bills started coming across my desk.
It was a real eye-opener.

BrownBrokeDown

Exactly, the guy I was referring to (@FrigidFTSup) is a UPS supervisor with a HC plan very much like the one you described, so it's really no laughing matter.
He's a young, single, newly promoted on-car supe, who is engaged and naive about the cost of health care for a family.
I was once the same way, until those bills started coming across my desk.
It was a real eye-opener.
You totally missed my point. It wasn't about his healthcare it was the other side. Non-Union healthcare period in the US is atrocious.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You totally missed my point. It wasn't about his healthcare it was the other side. Non-Union healthcare period in the US is atrocious.
No, I got it, but that's how bad UPS management's plan is now.
I think it's possible that his fiance will be eligible for a better plan elsewhere.
My on-car got his knee fixed during peak the month before they got put in the new plan, because he would have had to pay the first $5000 out of pocket, if he waited until after New Years.

BrownBrokeDown

No, I got it, but that's how bad UPS management's plan is now.
I think it's possible that his fiance will be eligible for a better plan elsewhere.
My on-car got his knee fixed during peak the month before they got put in the new plan, because he would have had to pay the first $5000 out of pocket, if he waited until after New Years.
I'll try again. For comparison, as "bad" as managements plan is, it is tremendously better than most non-union healthcare in the entire country.

BrownBrokeDown

Deductibles (combined medical and prescription drugs)

$1,500 for single coverage

$3,000 if you enroll your spouse and/or child(ren)

$750 for single coverage

$1,500 if you enroll your spouse and/or children)

The deductible for out-of-network care is two times the in-network deductible. In-network and out-of-network deductibles must be met separately.

Coinsurance after you meet the deductible

In-network: X pays 80%, you pay 20%

Out-of-network: X pays 50%, you pay 50%

Annual

out-of-pocket maximum (including deductible)

$3,000 for single coverage

$6,000 if you enroll your spouse and/or child(ren)

$2,500 for single coverage

$5,000 if you enroll your spouse and/or child(ren)

The maximum for out-of-network care is two times the in-network maximum. In-network and out-of-network maximums must be met separately.

About the health account available with each plan

Health Savings Account (HSA)

Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)

X adds any health rewards you earn to your HSA (note that these amounts count toward the annual contribution maximums)

X adds any health rewards you earn to your HRA

You decide if you want to also put money in your HSA each year.

Maximum pre-tax contributions per year (note that Wellness Rewards count towards these maximums):

Single Coverage - $3,350

Covering Dependents - $6,650

Associates 55+ can contribute an additional $1,000 pre-tax

You cannot save your own money in the HRA; only X can contribute

You never pay taxes on the money you and X put in your account as long as you use it for eligible health expenses*

You never pay taxes on the money you and X put in your account

Unused HSA dollars roll over from plan year to plan year

Unused HRA dollars roll over from plan year to plan year as long as you stay in the HRA Plan

It’s your money to pay for health care today or in the future — and you can take it with you if you leave X

If you leave X or change medical plans, you forfeit the money in your HRA

You are not eligible for a Health Care FSA if you have an HSA

You remain eligible for a Health Care FSA even if you have an HRA

Weekly amount held out of your check for buying the insurance

HSA

HRA

Kaiser (CA Only)

Weekly

Weekly

Weekly

With the non-tobacco user discount (associate - and covered spouse - must complete the PHA and indicate that they are a non-tobacco user or complete 3 coaching calls with WebMD)

Single

$20.07

$29.41

$33.45

You plus child(ren)

$40.13

$58.81

$66.89

You plus spouse

$48.16

$70.58

$80.27

Family

$60.27

$88.22

$99.82

Without the non-tobacco user discount

Single

$38.53

$47.87

$51.91

You plus child(ren)

$58.59

$77.27

$85.35

You plus spouse

$66.62

$89.04

$98.73

Family

$78.73

$106.68

$118.28

BrownBrokeDown

Preventive prescriptions

You pay 20% without having to meet the annual deductible first

You pay a copay or coinsurance shown below without having to meet the annual deductible first

Non-preventive prescriptions

After annual deductible, you pay…

Retail

Generic

20%

$10 copay

Preferred brand-name

20%

30% (min. $25, max. $50)

Non-preferred brand-name

20%

30% (min. $40, max. $80)

Mail Order (90-day supply) if available — required after three refills at retail

Generic

20%

$25 copay

Preferred brand-name

20%

30% (min. $60, max. $120)

Non-preferred brand-name

20%

30% (min. $100, max. $200)

BrownBrokeDown

Delta PPO Plus Premier

PPO Network Coverage

Premier Network Coverage

Non-Participating Dentist Coverage

Plan Year Deductible: $50 (individual)/$150 (family)

Plan Year Maximum (per member): $1,250

Preventive and diagnostic services

100%, no deductible

80%, no deductible

80%*, no deductible

Basic restorative services (including oral surgery, white fillings,periodontics)

80%, after deductible

80%, after deductible

80%*, after deductible

Major restorative and prostheticservices

50%, after deductible

50%, after deductible

50%*, after deductible

Orthodontia (for children up to age 19)

50%, to $1,000 lifetime maximum

Not covered

Not covered

Dental paycheck costs (For the 2015/2016 plan year, effective 7/01/2015)
Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier

Weekly

Associate only

$3.03

Associate + child(ren)

$6.33

Associate + spouse

$7.26

Family

$9.90

BrownBrokeDown

In-network coverage

Basic Plan

Enhanced Plan

Annual comprehensive exam

$20 copay

$5 copay

Lenses for glasses:

Standard plastic and polycarbonate, available every plan year

$25 copay for single, bifocal, trifocal, and lenticular

$10 copay for single, bifocal, trifocal, lenticular standard and premium progressives, polychromatic (transition)

Frames:

Available every other plan year

$0 copay, $130 allowance

$0 copay, $130 allowance

Contact lenses in lieu of eyeglass lenses once per year

$0 copay, $150 allowance

$0 copay, $150 allowance

Retinal Imaging

Up to a $39 copay

Up to a $39 copay

Laser eye surgery

15% off retail price

15% off retail price, plus one-time only $600 allowance

Vision coverage paycheck costs
Basic Plan

Enhanced Plan

Weekly

Weekly

Single

$1.05

$2.41

You plus child(ren)

$2.09

$5.03

You plus spouse

$2.51

$5.89

Family

$3.14

$7.44

BrownBrokeDown

apologize for the formatting issues on the copy over but you should be able to figure it out. btw total for a family held out of weekly check taking the top national plans provided by this company to pay for it is $124.02

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@BrownBrokeDown, I understand and appreciate what you are trying to illustrate, but are you trying to say we should be alright with the Teamsters allowing us to play our way back to the field, while UPS continues to record profits?
Starting in 2017 we will start paying an unprecedented $400 annual deductible for a family.
How does this translate in regards to "not $90, not $9, not 9¢"?
Where do you see this in 10 years?

upschuck

Don't forget all the Teamsters that got better insurance because of this, now everyone is on a much more even plan, which is the basis of a union.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't forget all the Teamsters that got better insurance because of this, now everyone is on a much more even plan, which is the basis of a union.
How do you figure that?
We don't work for Hostess?
I didn't get better insurance?
Again, I wanted to see everyone come up to the level I enjoyed for decades.
No UPSer should have went backwards in the last contract, and that's exactly what happened.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I totally agree that the entire healthcare/TeamCare issue during our last contract was nothing but a ruse. Each Local Union should have had the option to choose healthcare plans that are available in their own immediate/respective areas. Some Local Unions were permitted to stay with their own healthcare plans (not company...not Union) as outlined in the Riders while others were FORCED to join TeamCare. It all depended on how much "political clout" your BA had at the time of the agreement. (As an FYI to some....there are Locals that negotiate their own healthcare plans with local providers that have superior benefits to that of TeamCare.)

Forcing people into the CS TeamCare plan was not done in the best interest of the UPS Teamster members......it was done to supplement yet another Central States related entity that has been historically synonymous with "fiscal mismanagement" and/or "reduced benefits".... a.k.a. (CSPF) This is yet another issue that makes it very difficult to organize non-union companies. The benefits of being in a Union are reduced with each and every contract for many. (Selling out the unborn, the newbies, and the retired while supplementing the older active employees is a tactic that continues to work very well for both the company and the Union)

This was a great post and very insightful in most regards.
Where I think it may have fallen short, and where the "ruse" likely began, was at the negotiating table.
In today's healthcare markets, the most bang for your buck comes from large numbers of participants, and both sides knew this.
I submit that UPS told the Teamsters that they wanted all their employees, or none of them in their health plan.
Meanwhile, the Teamsters (and UPS) knew that they needed all UPSer's in the Central States plan at least.
This put the Teamsters in a position of weakness at the negotiating table and explains why other concessions were negotiated.

Last edited:

The majority of members that got to stay in their own union run healthcare wish the could get into Teamcare. Those plans that other locals have aren't exactly the best of the best.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Plus the majority voted it to pass.

And that is where Jimmy H screwed us again.

He was actually brilliant in what he did. He inserted the Teamcare into the Master.

More than half the country was already on Teamcare. They saw that their healthcare did not change and they got a raise.

I had people in Wisconsin voting on my healthcare.

It should have been left out of the Master and been a Supplement issue. If it was, I would not be in Teamcare.

I would still be in the company plan with no deductible and no monthly payment. ($90-$9-$.09)

I would also be over $2000 richer.

That is what Teamcare has cost me so far. And it's only been a year and a half.

Imagine what Teamcare is going to cost me over the next 10 years.