Teamcare

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That is a realistic (and profound) observation.

The general UPS masses, wouldn't understand the point.

Until, they are standing on a street corner.... wondering what happened.

I could go on....

-Bug-
You could go on?
That would be a first....unless you count excessive spacing? :-)

I agree that there is risk in Locals obtaining their own healthcare plans.....especially since many of them may not cover health related issues/costs outside a given area (or at least have reduced benefits outside a given area). Also, individual healthcare plans are subject to re-negotiated costs every time the plan period ends which most often does not coincide with our contract......therefore... the BA and the Local could be left hanging with some serious changes (benefit reductions and/or cost increases). So yes....there is certainly an element of risk for individual Locals to obtain their own plans.

I also agree with Bubblehead that healthcare value comes with large numbers of participants such as a TeamCare plan. The logic of UPS wanting out of the healthcare business (ACA/Wall Street) while TeamCare wanting more participants (Value in Numbers) makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. My main issue was that I felt that there was too much "grandstanding" on the healthcare issue by the Teamsters when in fact it was not necessary to do so(IMHO) . Note: I have supported Ken H's efforts for many years that dates back to the pre-H era. I would have preferred that Ken H simply come out and be more direct about all the factors (benefits/changes) involved.
I'm not speaking for ken h by all means but how do you think that would have went over with him explaining that.
I would have preferred that Ken H simply come out and be more direct about all the factors (benefits/changes) involved.
It would have fall n on deaf ears.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I will admit, I have never been happy with the changes to my healthcare. However, what some here don't seem to realize, is that if we were to have struck over our healthcare, we would have had 0 public support for it. Our healthcare is still too much better than the public's.
Who ever said anything about striking?
Those papers were never filed anyway.

Why is it assumed that there would not be public support for employees fighting for healthcare?
Isn't it possible that there would empathy from those who know what it's like to not have decent Healthcare.
Unions have always been the ones who set the bar in this regard.
Only thing we're missing is a dynamic leader to sell it.

With a majority of teamsters voting it passed. I'm so sorry it didn't pass in your local. It the majority voted it to pass and we're ready to move on. The majority of teamsters were okay with you going into Teamcare in order to ratify their contract. If you hate ups the teamsters and the majority of your union brothers and sisters so much maybe it's time to cut ties with us and maybe this site included.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
With a majority of teamsters voting it passed. I'm so sorry it didn't pass in your local. It the majority voted it to pass and we're ready to move on. The majority of teamsters were okay with you going into Teamcare in order to ratify their contract. If you hate ups the teamsters and the majority of your union brothers and sisters so much maybe it's time to cut ties with us and maybe this site included.
The majority were already in TeamCare and were never presented with the other options.
They were victims of a poorly executed hard sell.
Unfortunately before they could realize what had happened, their opportunity to be brought up to a superior plan like many enjoyed, were instead duped into selling out the "haves' who were then forced to join the" have nots" in an inferior plan.
What a shame.

Last edited:

anHOURover

Not voting on the same issues nationwide!! My local voted no by huge majority .. Not once but twice.. Would have been 3 times if the lawyer and dance hall didn't screw the members! Almost time for Tim to order larger seats for Louisiana avenue!

upschuck

Why is it assumed that there would not be public support for employees fighting for healthcare?
Isn't it possible that there would empathy from those who know what it's like to not have decent Healthcare.
I think that we would of had some support, but not a whole lot. UPS would put out releases saying what we get in HC, and that we pay $0 premiums, and that would turn the majority against us.

BrownBrokeDown

Empathy? LMAO. Go to any article on the web in the last 5 years about a union striking over wages for example. Look in the comments on the article. The public only cares about what they make. The most common comment is "I do this for x amount of dollars, why should they earn more for doing their job when i have x experience/college/harder job/have to blow sups/etc" or the typical "unions are corrupt/evil/why corporations go overseas/etc." or the "unions put companies out of business, just look at the car companies".

Also, striking was the only way we would have kept the same Aetna plan, that is, unless you wanted to give up wages/other benefits/rights or have longer progressions/tier wages/etc

Last edited:

anHOURover

I think that we would of had some support, but not a whole lot. UPS would put out releases saying what we get in HC, and that we pay $0 premiums, and that would turn the majority against us.
Ok but the pilots make over 200k a year and are living better but ups won't persuade the public against them ?? You are very company friendly like the lawyer and dance hall! Did you turn in your management letter too?

Not voting on the same issues nationwide!! My local voted no by huge majority .. Not once but twice.. Would have been 3 times if the lawyer and dance hall didn't screw the members! Almost time for Tim to order larger seats for Louisiana avenue!
Keep thinking that. When it's all said and done I will be saying I told you so and you won't be posting on this site anymore.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Then our leader releases UPS's record profits and how they now what concessions?
Didn't those dynamics play out in '97?
The public had our back during that strike, didn't they?
I submit that America is hungry for someone to stand up and rebel against corporate greed.

anHOURover

Empathy? LMAO. Go to any article on the web in the last 5 years about a union striking over wages for example. Look in the comments on the article. The public only cares about what they make. The most common comment is "I do this for x amount of dollars, why should they earn more for doing their job when i have x experience/college/harder job/have to blow sups/etc" or the typical "unions are corrupt/evil/why corporations go overseas/etc." or the "unions put companies out of business, just look at the car companies".

Also, striking was the only way we would have kept the same Aetna plan, that is, unless you wanted to give up wages/other benefits/rights or have longer progressions/tier wages/etc
How much longer can the progression actually go? 36 months was a huge concession!! Very company friendly contract already!!

Ok but the pilots make over 200k a year and are living better but ups won't persuade the public against them ?? You are very company friendly like the lawyer and dance hall! Did you turn in your management letter too?
Look and see what who and what are the qualifications for being a pilot. Who can do are job. Not to discount what we do but finds ny pilots as apposed to drivers and package handlers is night and day. Pore analogy @anHOURover.

BrownBrokeDown

Difference is public perception. I fly a plane vs I deliver boxes/I throw boxes all day. Right or Wrong the general public don't see it the same.

I'm just going out on a limb here but if you played out our healthcare coverage to the general public I'm thinking we aren't going to win the court of public opinion. If you think we would then you are stupid.

BrownBrokeDown

Then our leader releases UPS's record profits and how they now what concessions?
Didn't those dynamics play out in '97?
The public had our back during that strike, didn't they?
I submit that America is hungry for someone to stand up and rebel against corporate greed.
1997 vs 2015 is a big difference. I will agree public mentality is starting to shift, but we are a long way away from what it used to be.