Teamcare

upschuck

How do you figure that?
All the FT in my building got better insurance, which means the gap between the 2 has close, a more even playing field.
We don't work for Hostess?
You are correct, and thankful for that.
I didn't get better insurance?
Well, then the world should stop revolving then. I thought that some people have to make sacrifices for the betterment of the union, or does that apply just for others?
Again, I wanted to see everyone come up to the level I enjoyed for decades.
No UPSer should have went backwards in the last contract, and that's exactly what happened.
Negotiations are not all one sided, give and take. If the union got everything they asked for, there would be a lot less people working at UPS right now.

upschuck

And that is where Jimmy H screwed us again.

He was actually brilliant in what he did. He inserted the Teamcare into the Master.

More than half the country was already on Teamcare. They saw that their healthcare did not change and they got a raise.

I had people in Wisconsin voting on my healthcare.

It should have been left out of the Master and been a Supplement issue. If it was, I would not be in Teamcare.

I would still be in the company plan with no deductible and no monthly payment. ($90-$9-$.09)

I would also be over $2000 richer.

That is what Teamcare has cost me so far. And it's only been a year and a half.

Imagine what Teamcare is going to cost me over the next 10 years.
I have never come close to max out of pocket, I hope you and yours get well soon.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Negotiations are not all one sided, give and take. If the union got everything they asked for, there would be a lot less people working at UPS right now.
Aside from the health care money, what did the union ask for?
What gains did we realize as whole, aside from a smaller percentage pay raise?

How can we not see that if the company truly wanted out of the health care business, that would have put us in a position of strength?
Instead, we found ourselves acquiescing to additional concessions.
The Teamsters got owned at the table on this one.

upschuck

Aside from the health care money, what did the union ask for?
What gains did we realize as whole, aside from a smaller percentage pay raise?

How can we not see that if the company truly wanted out of the health care business, that would have put us in a position of strength?
Instead, we found ourselves acquiescing to additional concessions.
The Teamsters got owned at the table on this one.
Both sides knew that UPS wanted out, and union wanted it, so there was no position of strength to be had. It was a win/win for both sides.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Both sides knew that UPS wanted out, and union wanted it, so there was no position of strength to be had. It was a win/win for both sides.
The company wanted everybody on their plan to increase their buying power.....or nobody.
Then the union went on the farce of a campaign to "sell" it to the membership because they wanted it.

Not $90, not $9, not 9¢.
How does a $200/$400 annual deductible fit into that pitch?

upschuck

The company wanted everybody on their plan to increase their buying power.....or nobody.
Then the union went on the farce of a campaign to "sell" it to the membership because they wanted it.

Not $90, not $9, not 9¢.
How does a $200/$400 annual deductible fit into that pitch?
I would highly doubt that the details of the plan were negotiated, just the amount of contribution. After the first no vote, the company had no say in the increase of the benefits, Teamcare and union met and increased the benefits.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
And that is where Jimmy H screwed us again.

He was actually brilliant in what he did. He inserted the Teamcare into the Master.

More than half the country was already on Teamcare. They saw that their healthcare did not change and they got a raise.

I had people in Wisconsin voting on my healthcare.

It should have been left out of the Master and been a Supplement issue. If it was, I would not be in Teamcare.

I would still be in the company plan with no deductible and no monthly payment. ($90-$9-$.09)

I would also be over $2000 richer.

That is what Teamcare has cost me so far. And it's only been a year and a half.

Imagine what Teamcare is going to cost me over the next 10 years.
Those who voted yes in Wisconsin voted to give you better insurance then we have. $400 family deductible? Please.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's the same old thing. It won't change. UPS made money they want to take it all until we are like the freight asking for giveback. Then they will blame the union for that.

That is a realistic (and profound) observation.

The general UPS masses, wouldn't understand the point.

Until, they are standing on a street corner.... wondering what happened.

I could go on....

-Bug-

It's the same old thing. It won't change. UPS made money they want to take it all until we are like the freight asking for giveback. Then they will blame the union for that.
Yes. Bravo. Expecting the majority to understand this when certain people on this forum should understand it is never going to happen. The most dangerous kind of person is someone who thinks they are smart but they can't realize the aren't.

BrownBrokeDown

I could go on....

-Bug-
I will admit, I have never been happy with the changes to my healthcare. However, what some here don't seem to realize, is that if we were to have struck over our healthcare, we would have had 0 public support for it. Our healthcare is still too much better than the public's.

I could go on....

-Bug-
I agree brother. We know there will always be those that think the get everything. Just like those morons that don't want m to quote your posts or comment on your wisdom. The entitlement of some of these people that don't even see how entitled they are.

I will admit, I have never been happy with the changes to my healthcare. However, what some here don't seem to realize, is that if we were to have struck over our healthcare, we would have had 0 public support for it. Our healthcare is still too much better than the public's.
Oh no you are wrong to so many here. They apparently live pre 1997 though.

InsideUPS

The majority of members that got to stay in their own union run healthcare wish the could get into Teamcare. Those plans that other locals have aren't exactly the best of the best.

I agree that there is risk in Locals obtaining their own healthcare plans.....especially since many of them may not cover health related issues/costs outside a given area (or at least have reduced benefits outside a given area). Also, individual healthcare plans are subject to re-negotiated costs every time the plan period ends which most often does not coincide with our contract......therefore... the BA and the Local could be left hanging with some serious changes (benefit reductions and/or cost increases). So yes....there is certainly an element of risk for individual Locals to obtain their own plans.

I also agree with Bubblehead that healthcare value comes with large numbers of participants such as a TeamCare plan. The logic of UPS wanting out of the healthcare business (ACA/Wall Street) while TeamCare wanting more participants (Value in Numbers) makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. My main issue was that I felt that there was too much "grandstanding" on the healthcare issue by the Teamsters when in fact it was not necessary to do so(IMHO) . Note: I have supported Ken H's efforts for many years that dates back to the pre-Hoffa era. I would have preferred that Ken H simply come out and be more direct about all the factors (benefits/changes) involved.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is that what happened to freight, emotes greed?
I thought you said it was due to deregulation in the '80s in earlier threads and posts?

I have never advocated "thing it all", rather not accepting concessions from a company making record profits.

Last edited: