Teamster UPS 401K - Prudential Financial

542thruNthru

I find it intresting no one has brought up liabilities people carry over into retirement such as car payments/leases, credit card debt, or house payments; or lack of.

I should have none of those other then maybe a car payment. Though I always make sure to have a big enough down to keep it under 200 a month. It's not perfect but still better then 500 a month.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Because so many still carry those things into retirement.
Which I won’t understand. People scrimp and save to put money in their retirement yet carry debt at 3-5% on a car depreciating, a CC balance with 16-19% interest, and mortgage balance with 3-5% rate (which with the new tax laws you won’t reach itemization easily to argue the 25% return on that interest)

All of the above are guaranteed ROI’s, which the market can’t guarantee.

cornfed

That's a ton of money into small caps.

Meh. You should see my Vanguard account. That's where the Emerging markets and small cap VALUE are...among some other better funds than we are offered through Prudential. I'd say go more than 20% in the 401k International fund, but it was up the most last year, now's not the time to jump on that bandwagon hot and heavy.

I use Vanguard also. I buy funds that I can't get in my 401k

Amen to this. This is how you round out the portfolio.

cornfed

Bright Horizon funds are designed to be aggressive at first and then more conservative as you approach retirement. They are basically the "set it and forget it" fund for those who don't want the hassle of handling their own money.

15% in bonds with 40+ years to go until retirement? Pass. Definitely understandable though if people don't want to learn about the market/investing. I have to remember people don't want to study it every day/week like I do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I find it intresting no one has brought up liabilities people carry over into retirement such as car payments/leases, credit card debt, or house payments; or lack of.

Excellent point.

I will be completely debt free when I begin retirement. My budgeted retirement expenditures will be right around $3K/month, which my pension will more than cover without touching my 401k or SS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Excellent point.

I will be completely debt free when I begin retirement. My budgeted retirement expenditures will be right around $3K/month, which my pension will more than cover without touching my 401k or SS.
I will be married when I start my retirement, therefore my expenditures will be slightly higher. Did I say slightly?