Teamsters union keeps 240,000 UPS workers on the job as contract expires

Bolshevik

FULL ARTICLE: Teamsters union keeps 240,000 UPS workers on the job as contract expires

The contract covering one quarter of a million UPS workers expired on Tuesday, July 31. The Teamsters union is forcing workers to continue on the job without a new contract, in open defiance of a vote by more than 93 percent of the workforce at the beginning of June authorizing a nationwide strike beginning midnight, August 1.

On July 10, the union announced that it was indefinitely extending the current contract by at least 60 days. The announcement came as the union released its proposed contract for 2018-2023, which is a provocation against the workforce. The union is aware that there is widespread opposition to the deal and is seeking to delay to wear down the workers.

The proposed agreement includes:

* The creation of a new “hybrid” class of “22.4” driver/warehouse workers, who will be paid far less than current drivers and are not guaranteed full-time hours. The new position, which the Teamsters union boasted arose from its own proposal, is designed to destroy the last remaining decent-paying full-time jobs at the company and extend part-time “flexibility” from the warehouses to the delivery drivers.

* Maintaining permanently low wages for part-time workers who make up more than two-thirds of the UPS workforce. The union boasts that part-time workers’ wages will reach $15.50—itself a poverty-level wage—by 2023.

* No limits on forcing drivers to work overtime for up to 70 hours per week during peak season.

* No change to the dangerous working conditions caused by endless corporate speed-up demands...........

CONTINUTED AT: Teamsters union keeps 240,000 UPS workers on the job as contract expires

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The contract covering one quarter of a million UPS workers expired on Tuesday, July 31. The Teamsters union is forcing workers to continue on the job without a new contract, in open defiance of a vote by more than 93 percent of the workforce at the beginning of June authorizing a nationwide strike beginning midnight, August 1.

This is not true.

I won't even waste my time reading an article that has innacuracies, or lies, in its first paragraph.

BrownRecycler

"The Teamsters union is forcing workers to continue on the job without a new contract..."

They weren't forced. The contract expired itself.

"On July 10, the union announced that it was indefinitely extending the current contract by at least 60 days."

Precisely the reason. Without a contract, it is homelessness in job security.

"The Teamsters union is forcing workers to continue on the job without a new contract, in open defiance of a vote by more than 93 percent of the workforce at the beginning of June authorizing a nationwide strike beginning midnight, August 1."

That's incorrect. The vote was about an authorization to strike not a vote to strike.

Bolshevik

Exactly. UPS workers authorized a strike IF we have not reached a contract following 31st of July.

That date has now passed, or expired, and UPS workers are still expected back to work because of a 'indefinite' extension.

I dont see how the article is inaccurate in-regards to labeling a duck a duck.

BrownRecycler

Exactly. UPS workers authorized a strike IF we have not reached a contract following 31st of July.

That date has now passed, or expired, and UPS workers are still expected back to work because of a 'indefinite' extension.

I dont see how the article is inaccurate in-regards to labeling a duck a duck.

To be fair, I was reading this "authorizing a nationwide strike beginning midnight, August 1"

When I said "The vote was about an authorization to strike not a vote to strike.", I meant that the vote was giving permission to strike not to strike at midnight of August 1. The author already made a mistake in his editing. News reported what was the authorization to strike meant and have explained it better than this author.

However, I am not wrong about the author contempt for false pretense "in open defiance of a vote by more than 93 percent of the workforce". I can understand that the author busting our balls, but, seriously, it isn't about defiance.

What worried more is riding out of an old contract while awaiting for the new contract. 2 months aren't indefinite but, if you want the contract done and correct. You sit, talk, write, record, discuss with your rep in separate session then adjourn, and day by day with set break time and rest with hydration to get contract done.

Am more concern about the accuracy of journalism as accountability have went out the windows since day 1. If you are upset because of caution raised, you need to educate yourself of why people want straight answer and not water down editing.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Incorrect.

We authorized the Union to strike at any time on or after August 1st if they felt they could not come to an agreement.

Guess what, they came to an agreement last month on the Master and most Supplements.

And it is still not clear yet whether the majority agrees with the Union or not.

Only time will tell, and the Union still has our strike authorization, should they need it.