Teamwork? Not around here.

jlphotog

At PCM's they preach teamwork. They tell us if you are done early, page in so we can get you to help others. I have been doing this as I am usually finished between 16:15 and 16:30

For the past few months I have been asked to cover one of the other drivers dailies. It's almost an automatic thing. I cover this stop 3-4 times a week. I don't mind doing it and it helps the other driver.

Well, today I get pulled aside by one of the supes and get told I am not help with this stop anymore. When I questioned it, I was told they are trying to make a point.

There will be a day, when this stop does not get done because this driver can not do it, I can't help anymore and no one else in the area even offers to help. The kaka will hit the fan that day.

Has anyone ever heard anything as ridiculous as this at their ctr?

Big Babooba

The drivers in my center generally help each other out. But we have one driver that nobody will help out. He is always trying to pawn his air off on other drivers under the excuse that they were close to the stop anyways. It didn't take too long to figure out that while we were running his chasers he only kept 4 or 5 air stops of his own (which he didn't have to break trace for). With him it's always "What can you do for me?". He never offers to help anybody else out. Now when he asks for help, everybody turns a deaf ear.

Fnix

The drivers in my center generally help each other out. But we have one driver that nobody will help out. He is always trying to pawn his air off on other drivers under the excuse that they were close to the stop anyways. It didn't take too long to figure out that while we were running his chasers he only kept 4 or 5 air stops of his own (which he didn't have to break trace for). With him it's always "What can you do for me?". He never offers to help anybody else out. Now when he asks for help, everybody turns a deaf ear.

Have a guy like that here and he is so damn slow he screws up the whole operation for everyone. He reminds me of Private Pyle from Full Metal jacket. he cant get anything right and when he messes up everyone else pays for it and gets yelled at. One time a group of 10 of us including him got called in to the FT Supe office and yelled at cause this guy was going so slow and management hasnt realized he is an issue and hes been here for 6 years!!!!!

Leftinbuilding

I volunteered to take a split off a bordering driver because he was "heavy". This happened several times over a period of time. Eventually his "split" became a permanent part of my route. I had to break off my area to go do his work, then go back and finish mine. Many times, on my way to his area, I would meet him on his way home. Didn't sit too well. I don't volunteer for much anymore. :happy2:

wadep

Could be the stop your talking about, U.P.S. is trying to loose as an account. They make no money off of it. Or the fact that your sup's no completely competent *LOL*

wornoutupser

Could be the stop your talking about, U.P.S. is trying to loose as an account. They make no money off of it. Or the fact that your sup's no completely competent *LOL*

That is almost exactly the point that I made to our district manager yesterday!

He was complaining that we dont have enough volume. ( It was the usual-UPS is going broke sob story).

I looked at him and smiled when I said that he local account execs had run off all the local pickup accounts!

We lost one here that I posted about a while back. It was over a million $$ a year and they got mad at us. They left us after the account exec rescheduled their visit for the FOURTH time because she was "busy".

We also lost a major NXDA/INTL account that was over 10 million $$ a year. They had asked if UPS would sponser a hole in their golf tournament. UPS refused- and they left for Fed EX in a blink because Fedex would sponsor them.

I could go on and on, just dont ask me for a lead card!

outta hours

Since we have started PAS my customers think UPS stands for Unpredictable Package Service. Because it varies from day to day which driver has their pkgs. and at what time they will recieve them. My area has no commit time for NDA so when a cut is made and moved to section 7 or 8 on another driver they do not recieve their pkgs. till just before closing time. It's my guess that the company knew this would be part of PAS hence our company name was changed to omit the word service and is now simply UPS. Not United Parcel SERVICE. JMO though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Going back to the original point of this thread, it is my thought process that mgt believes that the driver in question has become used to having help on this stop (I assume it is a P/U) and they are trying to get him to step up and do his own work. In our center, we are also asked to let mgt know if we can help or if we need help and it is always the same drivers either offering or asking for help. They know that I am always available to help but, as was pointed out earlier, helping on a regular basis may lead to that work being added to your route on a permanent basis. We have 5 drivers who deliver in the city and we all have each others' cell phone numbers and we call each other if we need and/or offer to help, bypassing mgt.

As far as the driver pawning off work, we have one of those here too. It is amazing how the power of peer pressure has put an end to his pawning.

11 days to go--Christmas Eve is going to suck!!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I volunteered to take a split off a bordering driver because he was "heavy". This happened several times over a period of time. Eventually his "split" became a permanent part of my route. I had to break off my area to go do his work, then go back and finish mine. Many times, on my way to his area, I would meet him on his way home. Didn't sit too well. I don't volunteer for much anymore. :happy2:

True Dat! True Dat!

jlphotog

I don't think they are trying to lose the account. It's a UPS Store.

After talking with the girl that sets up all the help and this other driver, it sounds like it is all politics. However she and I are having fun texting back and forth about it. I just hope the mgmt team is not reading these texts. Or this thread.

jlphotog

Going back to the original point of this thread, it is my thought process that mgt believes that the driver in question has become used to having help on this stop (I assume it is a P/U) and they are trying to get him to step up and do his own work.

11 days to go--Christmas Eve is going to suck!!

That is not this driver at all. I have seen his truck when he gets back to the building. There are days when he is so full he has enough room left for an envelope and two rabbit turds.

I don't think xmas eve is going to suck. About 80% of my businesses have already told me they are going to be closed on the 24th. And about half of them are going to be closed that entire week.

mikestrek

Supervisors play up to drivers that work hard (give them more work) AND Play down to drivers that work slow (take work off them)