Technicians reduced, hours Increased

• Thread starter Frankly My Dear, I...
  • Start date
F

Frankly My Dear, I...

Has your district implemented the company's new strategy to combat a reduced technician pool? Ours has, they extended our day by a 1/2 hour. We are now required to take a one hour lunch, even if we don't need it, or even take the normal 1/2 hour from before.

Much Love.

ups79

actually carrothead, I am not looking for a job. Have you heard of "work as directed"? Unless you are self-employed, you usually do what the employer requires.

Parrothead

ups79 said:
actually carrothead, I am not looking for a job. Have you heard of "work as directed"? Unless you are self-employed, you usually do what the employer requires.

Technically, if you work for a corporation you own stock in you are "self-employed". As a stockholder, you have every right to question a decision that does not seem beneficial to the long-term profitability fo the company.

BTW. You seem a bit uptight. Perhaps you should consider decaf? :wink:

SIDE NOTE: "carrothead" was pretty creative

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Frankly My Dear said:
Has your district implemented the company's new strategy to combat a reduced technician pool? Ours has, they extended our day by a 1/2 hour. We are now required to take a one hour lunch, even if we don't need it, or even take the normal 1/2 hour from before.

Much Love.

You really have to thank all the lawyers filing all the class action lawsuits for this one.

ups79

tie, must agree with you. This probably all originated from the california law suits. must be careful what you ask for. secondly, does everyone actually believe they can outsmart upper management? carrothead: how long have you been a shareholder? what you might do is go to the next bod meeting and submit your nomination. perhaps you could obtain enough votes to be elected to the board, then you would be able to straighten them out.

Last edited:
S

speeddemon

what your describing is the view the drivers have had for quite some time. You have to train yourself to just put up with it, or go somewhere else, because UPS does not care what you think. Plain n simple.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
ups79 said:
I am sure that there are other job opportunities for you, why don't you look for them?

I'm sure there are other forums you would enjoy, why don't you read those? Might I suggest http://www.myprettypony.com/?

See what I did here? Rather than respond to the issue in any way, I deflected it back - in the form of a challenge, as if the person complaining is the whole problem. But I can't claim any originality, since I was just copying ups79's format.

-SeniorGeek, formerly TSG - Workforce Reduced, now making 45% more [before taxes] than I was at UPS - but it'll be 5 years before I get 5 weeks off per year.

I

I totally agree

SeniorGeek said:
I'm sure there are other forums you would enjoy, why don't you read those? Might I suggest http://www.myprettypony.com/?

See what I did here? Rather than respond to the issue in any way, I deflected it back - in the form of a challenge, as if the person complaining is the whole problem. But I can't claim any originality, since I was just copying ups79's format.

-SeniorGeek, formerly TSG - Workforce Reduced, now making 45% more [before taxes] than I was at UPS - but it'll be 5 years before I get 5 weeks off per year.
Yep. I am in the same boat. I am making more, but not 45% more. The vacations are great at UPS, but I would rather enjoy work and be able to not have to follow a manual for every tech thing I did and have a couple less vacations a year.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Take the money-------------there is life after UPS!! UPS is not for everyone and many have done better after leaving UPS. Of course the >45% more--is there a pension plan---a health plan---a 401k plan---or is it just money?? You have to compare apples to apples--which we all forget to do at times--and just look at the hourly wage.

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence----but the real question is "How high is the water bill?"

S

Still Looking

upsdawg said:
Take the money-------------there is life after UPS!! UPS is not for everyone and many have done better after leaving UPS. Of course the >45% more--is there a pension plan---a health plan---a 401k plan---or is it just money?? You have to compare apples to apples--which we all forget to do at times--and just look at the hourly wage.

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence----but the real question is "How high is the water bill?"

Really good to hear about the success stories. I also left. I haven't really tried to find anything, yet. What I mean is that I haven't aggressively attempted.

I have a college degree and a handful of certifications. I am finding the job market in my area of the country to be a little tougher than you guys. I am finding it to be a little tougher than I had imagined before leaving. There are plenty of jobs out there, you just have to look hard to find one that fits your talents.

The tough part is getting around the wholesale lack of marketable skills of a TSG technician. Don't get me wrong, a TSG tech can get another job, but not usually at the same rate of pay and benefits as at UPS.

The market is looking for specific skills and repetitive use of these skills. TSG technicians have been deskilled over the years. When was the last time you worked with the Group Policy Object in AD (no QUEST webfront), or built a workstation from the ground up (no DS Ghost image), or used the IOS to config a cisco router.

Look, I'm not trying to beat TSG down, I'm just sharing my observation. Please take this as something constructive rather than a call to argue.

I was around TSG for many years. I fully believe we were better technicians 5 or 7 years ago when things were less standardized and we had a chance to build servers and workstations from the ground up.

If another round of layoffs occur, or if you find yourself wanting to leave, please take a careful assessment of your skills (an honest one), and consider upgrading your skills with outside education or certification before leaving. I think if I hadn't done this for myself, I would be in a world of pain right now.

Oh, by the way, second thoughts? ------- None! I still have love for the company, but none for the job I left.