Telematics Coming Soon.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had it installed in my Center, but we aren't supposed to be online for a couple of months. I have had to change the methods that I was originally taught, I am getting a lot of OT because of it. I was used to unfastening my seatbelt first, pulling the parking brake and putting my shifter in Park, and then turning the ignition off. As an "Old School" driver, I was taught to slam the bulkhead door with an over the shoulder motion and fasten the seatbelt as I started to pull away from a stop. I have a lot of long driveways and I use reverse a lot, thats where I am really going to lose a lot of time walking stops off. I have never got an official answer about just how long a driveway can be before its OK to drive down. Just going by the methods is going to make me a lot more money, I'm seeing it on my check already.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
You can turn on your diad with truck running :D. Your truck should not be MOVING while you are fiddling with diad, which GPS can prove.

If this is wrong, I stand corrected, but I've never had any warning over diad being turned on while truck is running, do it all of the time.

In my area even if truck is idle and parked you still cant activate diad.

Even if key is turned having power to truck but not started. Think about it. Just like your personal car, if key is turned to power but car not on key turned still powers up your electrics like radio, power windows, etc... Telimatic sensors power up the same way so long as key is turned.

Seat belt on before you turn key. Seat belt stays on till truck is OFF!!!! do not remove seat belt while turning key off cause timing could cause it to flag u. It does happen. Many drivers complained but hey, it is what it is. A pain in the butt.

Drivers even in air ops that have truck on but parked were getting in trouble entering in shuttle codes.

Rule of thumb: do not touch any button on diad while key is turned. Some trucks even have a sensor that knows if Diad has been pulled from it's slot in truck.

If I really need to. I will shut truck off while stoped at light to look at Diad scrolling through a crap trace. Or i will pull over somewhere safe and shut off truck to look at EDD. If I'm desperate and screwed on time commitments I will through the stick in neutral as I roll down a no traffic street turn key off and as I coast I'll quick peak at my trace. That last one is risky and should be done at high descretion with extreme awareness of your surroundings.

if u get an ODS--- shut her down or make them wait.

If you need to relook at your trace--- Shut her down.

If you need to close out a pick up that waves u off cause they have nothing today--- shut her down.

If your board and just gotta touch the DIAd--- Shut her down.

Make shure key is off before you touch the board.

I had a truck for a day that had a problem with bulk head door not staying latched. Every time I hit a bump or did an hard turn just the right way the bulk head would fly open. Telematics flagged the crap out of me that day and even though I wrote up the door I still had to sit in office and explain myslef. I was Peaved!!

I have a habit of leaving my DIAD in my side pouch cause I don't want the extra step of putting it away and then taking it again for my next stop. If I keep it with me at all times it saves me a step. Well, some trucks know when board is not in truck slot so even if you don't use diad it assumes u are handling it cause its not in slot while truck is on. Toke me awhile to get used to putting it in slot every freaking time. Not many trucks have that though but u never know what truck has that sensor and what truck doesn't so save face and assume that it does.

Backlasher

I used to save time learning a route as I drove scrolling through trace between stops on a blind area but cant do it know. I have to pull over and shut her down if I come across a one way street that alters my previous plan so i can look through trace and figure an alternative due to unknown one ways. Lol. It's probably not a big deal if you have your own route. If you have your own route you know how your looping anyways and have much less a reason to touch DIAD. it's all the other little things like backing, etc. that oyu need to adjust to. I still do long backs if it saves me time on a dead end street from walking large pieces 6 houses in. But I get nagged about it.

Backlasher

no. I probably should have. It happened last summer. I didn't get in trouble though cause I explained and showed them my DVR report for the day. Lol. I didn't need telematics to remind me of how aggrevated I was about bulkhead flying open constantly while driving. It was frustrating but I can laugh about it now. Some parts of telematics are good in keeping other in good habits. I didn't have much time driving without telematics but didn't had good safe habits before it anyways. I wouldn't drive with bulkhead open or without seatbelt anyways even if I hadn't Telematics.

Imagine a hard stop with bulk flying into driver cab cause u were to lazy to take the step of keeping bulkhead closed. Stupid, it makes me sick to see Fed EX drivers doing it though. I can't believe someone would but they due and also leave truck running for long periods with bulkhead and rear door wide open with no Fred in site.

UPS does have safer drivers and I take pride in that. The only thing that can make us unsafe is a blind route, Bad trace, and overload of commits in deliveries and pick ups.

Safety before $$$. Wake up I.T. routes need to have a Trace based on how the Driver runs so us cover guys can have a better opportunity to be efficient and safe not just efficiant maniac speedster runner gunner retards.

We got enough invested inTelimatics now lets hire teams commited completly on trace studies of perm bid drivers and set trce based on daily average of them not a PC. That's logistics. I want to service our recipients as well as our managers. NOT just our managers. I'm a cover driver with a concious.

Last edited:

Backlasher

How about a list of schools and the small commercials that maybe mistaken as a resi in resi area for each route that manager can stick in diad slot for a cover driver. Even managers showing me a route on road have FUBARD a Routes commercial area. How are these guys gonna tell me the wrong way to run a route just to have good #####'s really unbelievable. Worry bout that before u worry about FED EX pricing. That's MORE then half the battle.

Worry about that bafore any inhancements to telelamatics.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm surprised the union didn't use that technoligy in their own favour, too.
As in, giving the driver a 15min pre-warning, that he needs to take his lunch, before the 6th hr hits.
Then, maybe a last 5 min. warning, and if the truck is still running, when the time is up, the engine stops , and won't start again for another 50 minutes.

Now, why can't the union not demand that ? The technoligy is built in, and is only used for UPS "advantages".
Coffee breaks same thing, once you punch it into the diad, - truck won't start until the time allowance break is over.

Should work both ways , eh ? !!!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
How about a list of schools and the small commercials that maybe mistaken as a resi in resi area for each route that manager can stick in diad slot for a cover driver. Even managers showing me a route on road have FUBARD a Routes commercial area. How are these guys gonna tell me the wrong way to run a route just to have good #####'s really unbelievable. Worry bout that before u worry about FED EX pricing. That's MORE then half the battle.

Worry about that bafore any inhancements to telelamatics.

We already have it. The document is called "how to run my route", can be printed by the center team. Review it with the bid driver then the cover driver, give a copy to cover driver, place original in Route Book for additional copies....

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I'm surprised the union didn't use that technoligy in their own favour, too.
As in, giving the driver a 15min pre-warning, that he needs to take his lunch, before the 6th hr hits.
Then, maybe a last 5 min. warning, and if the truck is still running, when the time is up, the engine stops , and won't start again for another 50 minutes.

Now, why can't the union not demand that ? The technoligy is built in, and is only used for UPS "advantages".
Coffee breaks same thing, once you punch it into the diad, - truck won't start until the time allowance break is over.

Should work both ways , eh ? !!!

Thats right - remind the driver to take his/her lunch...they would would ignore it the same as they do for committed air.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
oh by the way...we can see when you come back to the vehicle and open the bulkhead door...before you leave the stop...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I pull the board all the time to look at my next few stops while the engine is running. As long as you dont scan anything or hit stop complete, it wont show up on the report. And even if you do show up on the report....its nothing but a piece of paper. You cant get fired just because Telematics says that the car moved 6" with the BH door open or the belt unbuckled. Its a report, not a death sentence or a termination letter.

The biggest challenge you will face with Telematics....is learning to ignore the whining from your supervisor every morning when he is running around the PCM with his stack of reports.

DS

Fenderbender
I pull the board all the time to look at my next few stops while the engine is running. As long as you dont scan anything or hit stop complete, it wont show up on the report. And even if you do show up on the report....its nothing but a piece of paper. You cant get fired just because Telematics says that the car moved 6" with the BH door open or the belt unbuckled. Its a report, not a death sentence or a termination letter.

The biggest challenge you will face with Telematics....is learning to ignore the whining from your supervisor every morning when he is running around the PCM with his stack of reports.
I may be wrong but it does show up on the report,apparently,your center is not focusing on this aspect,some are.

2Slow

I was very surprised when my center manager showed me the seat belt reports from when they took telematics live but hadn't told us yet.
It has that good aspect, but is mostly used to harass drivers. People have been fired off telematics, don't tell me the contract says they can't because they have and will again.

Do it like the boss is in the jump seat and you'll be ok.

brownelf

another thing that telematics is capable of doing is monitoring your speed, they can punch a speed in (lets say 27mph) and do a report with your delivery trace from the prior day that will hilite in red anytime the vehicle exceeds that speed. Was in the office with a driver last week who had a customer concern regarding his vehicle speed thru a neighborhood and that report showed he WASN'T speeding in that area, which actually saved him a warning letter.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was very surprised when my center manager showed me the seat belt reports from when they took telematics live but hadn't told us yet.
It has that good aspect, but is mostly used to harass drivers. People have been fired off telematics, don't tell me the contract says they can't because they have and will again.

Do it like the boss is in the jump seat and you'll be ok.

We have had Telematics for almost 2 years.

In my local we had one termination for dishonesty related to Telematics data that was later proven to be inaccurate, and the driver got his job back with full back pay.

We had another termination where the driver was falsifying delivery records to hide late NDA and was confronted with Telematics data that showed him several blocks away from the delivery address when he scanned the pkg before 1030. Rather than keeping his mouth shut, he lied...and then later admitted the lie and changed his story again. His termination was upheld.

All of the ticky-tacky crap about open BH doors and seatbelts unbuckled is just that...ticky-tacky crap. They will print their little reports and they will run around at the morning PCM and whine about excessive backing or the car moving 6 inches with the BH door unlatched, but at the end of the day its much ado about nothing. Learn to tune out the whining and pretty soon you will forget that Telematics is even there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
another thing that telematics is capable of doing is monitoring your speed, they can punch a speed in (lets say 27mph) and do a report with your delivery trace from the prior day that will hilite in red anytime the vehicle exceeds that speed. Was in the office with a driver last week who had a customer concern regarding his vehicle speed thru a neighborhood and that report showed he WASN'T speeding in that area, which actually saved him a warning letter.

OMG ... telematics was not suppose to help the driver. I'll talk to the powers and have this functionality removed! :wink2:

Last edited:

packageguy

Does a driver have to have their seat belt clicked on before starting up the engine or can it be done in one smooth motion as the car begins to inch forward. Nobody at our center seems to know the answer.

Your wheels can not move period. If they move and there is no seltbelt on it will register. same with bulk head door. backing when you put it in reverse that wheel moves it will register. IDLING TIME, IF YOU SIT IN TRAFFIC AND WHEELS NOT MOVING, IT COUNTS IDLING TIME. please be carefull