Telematics....Company wide?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Robert, they do not keep track of where you are when you make the pickup, only that the pickup is made during the +/- 15 window. Have you ever seen the GPS on while making a pickup?

I have seen drivers with packages in the cab and the bulkhead door open.

Recording in travel and idling are two separate things. The first you can control by not using the DIAD while driving. The second you can only try to limit.

I do agree with you on the engine running in 10 degree weather with no place to seek relief other than the PC. It has been a while since I have been on a country run and can recall many winter days sitting on the side of the road with the engine running trying to stay warm.

No, we do not have Telematics and there is no timetable for its implementation. Syracuse is the nearest center that has it.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
It has its good points. If you don't always buckle up, you will. It takes care of all the little shortcuts that we use (used) to get the job done quicker. No more packages in the cab. Reminds us to set the ebrake or risk being on a report.

The down side is the little BS. 36 minutes of idle time a day???? Really I'm 4 minutes over and your riding me like I missed a pickup for 10 cents in diesel??? Here is the latest - If we have a pickup with a sign that says "NO UPS" we still have to stop the vehicle and turn off the engine before we complete the stop to prove we were there at the right time. We can no longer call the pickup from accross town and ask if they have anything going out. We have to be there in the 15 min window, engine off. You can't stop complete a delivery with the engine running. If we accidently hit a stop and see that we did not complete the last stop...wait for it........go back, void the package out and do it again. Get the customer to sign twice. Drive 10 miles out of your way to stay off a report. Really, this makes good business sense?? Saves gas money?

Robert

It think the intent is to ensure the job is being done correctly the first time. I'd say that makes it a good business decision.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It think the intent is to ensure the job is being done correctly the first time. I'd say that makes it a good business decision.

Many of the methods illustrated by Robert were commonplace when I was a new employee 21 years ago. I also agree that Telematics is a good business decision. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind when it is implemented here...

tranham

Robert, they do not keep track of where you are when you make the pickup, only that the pickup is made during the +/- 15 window. Have you ever seen the GPS on while making a pickup?

I have seen drivers with packages in the cab and the bulkhead door open.See it every day when the FedEX driver goes by me. Can't say it was 100% safe when we used to do it, but it did save time. No longer, you get on a report that says you left your door open 42 times in travel.

Recording in travel and idling are two separate things. The first you can control by not using the DIAD while driving. The second you can only try to limit.I have a hard time not looking at the Diad while I drive. Checking to see if I should be going here or there first. No reason to record in travel. But if you scan the package too quick when you shut the truck off it will ding you. Best to count to 5 before scanning. They don't want you turning off the truck at lights for safety reasons, its really hard to reduce. They tell us to roll up to a light doing 3-5 MPH from a distance. Meanwhile the cars behind you think your broke down or stupid. It is stupid to have to do these things only to keep off someones report

I do agree with you on the engine running in 10 degree weather with no place to seek relief other than the PC. It has been a while since I have been on a country run and can recall many winter days sitting on the side of the road with the engine running trying to stay warm.

No, we do not have Telematics and there is no timetable for its implementation. Syracuse is the nearest center that has it.Another annoying point is when they jump you for having too much time between stops. For example, I tried to reduce send agains by going to 2 neighbors houses to get a signature. One not home, the other refused. Took 6 extra minutes with nothing acomplished. Then you get a trip to the office to explain. No good deed goes unpunished.

tranham

Yes, the intent is there. The reality is that you blow much more gas money cutting accross town to sit at a pickup that has nothing (and told you so earlier) than a couple minutes of "extra" idle time that is mostly out of your control. I think the majority of the system is good, they need to consider all the consequences when they decide how things are run. I only want to get my job done, get off the clock and get home.

Robert

pretzel_man

Telematics will continue. It will likely go through large buildings first and then move to smaller buildings.

There are definitely cases of management going after stupid knit-picking items. There have been posts here about being asked about 90 second discrepancies. I agree that is stupid.

On the other had, I have seen cases of Telematics finding large discrepancies of inappropriate idle, inappropriate travel, inappropriate off area lunch, or inappropriate lunch / break recording. In the cases I'm aware of, they were all handled with a discussion.

The way the master agreement has been explained to me is that Telematics CAN be used for discipline, but not for a first offence. Therefore, the first discusison has resolved any issues, because the second offence can end up in discipline.

When looking at Telematics centers, Safety is better, cost has improved, automotive expense is down, and breakdowns are better.

Telematics is here to stay and other companies have been calling UPS for guidance on getting Telematics for themselves.

P-Man

tranham

The way it has been explained to me is that if you continue to have issues with your daily report and have been warned you will either

A. Get a ride with a sup
B. Have LP in the woods with a camera waiting on you

A month ago the center manager starting telling up to put regular pickups as unscheduled if they were closing early. DM finds out and has banned us using unscheduled for any reason expect picking up another drivers regular pickup. They banned us from using pre-record for any reason except apartments, not sure why.

Robert

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
When they first implemented telematics in our center we were told UPS would not be using it for discipline purposes. That was a either a bald-faced lie or an uninformed comment. It is most definitely being used for discipline purposes in addition to it's practical uses involving car performance. I'm not criticizing the program itself but how it will be used by management to nit pick a driver's daily performance on a microscopic level. There needs to be accountability at all levels and not just on the drivers. Management and dispatchers (a position which used to be done by managers with driving experience and not just computer skills) need to learn to work with the drivers if they want to improve efficiency and reduce costs. We are trained to work as efficiently as possible but we are working under a management team that is overly concerned about bean counting. UPS seems to think that technology will solve all their problems and they are neglecting the human factor.

Telematics is not being used for discipline! There is a big difference between discipline and a sup asking you a question about your day, true they have alot more data to look at and ask about, so there may be more question asked, but the technology is too unreliable to be used for discipline. Just a couple days ago our center manager was going over the telematics report with a driver from the previos day. He gets to the seatbelt reading and says, "Wow, must be something wrong with your seatbelt sensor in your truck, it shows 111 seat belt infractions yesterday. You need to write that up in your DVIR today". That is the type of thing that happens all the time, and is all the proof I would ever need to have any discipline thrown out if ever attempted based on Telematics!!

grgrcr88

Actually, there is GPS in the package car that is always"ON". A Sup can easily look at the position of a package car when a stop is completed.

grgrcr88

Telematics will continue.
The way the master agreement has been explained to me is that Telematics CAN be used for discipline, but not for a first offence. Therefore, the first discusison has resolved any issues, because the second offence can end up in discipline.

P-Man

The Union does not recognize telematics due to its inacuracies, same as we do not recognize over/under. If it's ever used for discipline it will be rejected by every panel it comes in front of, it would never stand up to an Arbitrator because it's unreliable and that can be easily proven, therfore the company at this point is not using it for discipline, they know it's a loser if ever heard so they do not waste their time.

SWORDFISH

The contractuall NM language for technology states that you cannot be displined for it. Only proven dishonesty. Meaning you have to admit or be seen doing what you are being accused of.:peaceful:

BrownArmy

We don't yet have telematics in our center, but I say bring it on.

Just do the job the way you're instructed to do so, that's the job, what's the problem?

grgrcr88

The contractuall NM language for technology states that you cannot be displined for it. Only proven dishonesty. Meaning you have to admit or be seen doing what you are being accused of.:peaceful:

Thats not entirely true Swordfish,
Article 6, section 4, paragraph 8
"No employee shall be discharched on the first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as an act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS.

SWORDFISH

Thats not entirely true Swordfish,
Article 6, section 4, paragraph 8
"No employee shall be discharched on the first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as an act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS.

I'll PM you.:peaceful:

We don't yet have telematics in our center, but I say bring it on.

Just do the job the way you're instructed to do so, that's the job, what's the problem?

+1 Everyone was worried when we got telematics and 15 months later it is old news. You adapt to it and if you have good methods in the first place you will be way ahead of the game.

browniehound

it is probally like a cigarette lighter car on or off it still works.

Correct, the system's power comes from the battery. I'm not a mechanic or an electrician, but I base this assumption on one fact. The sensors read how many times you open the bulk head door. This always happens with the truck off, so I'm assuming it draws its power from the battery.

Also, the engine doesn't have to be running for an "event" to be recorded. In other words, you can put the truck in neutral with the engine off and roll down a hill with your seatbelt off. The system will flag you as speed registered with the seatbelt off.