Telematics---not very accurate

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
500 drivers tested the DIAD IV for over a year. They were in multiple districts.

I'm sure someone knows more about that testing than me..

I will hazard a guess that all 500 test drivers complained loudly about the location of the signature button....but the IE guy in charge of the testing ignored them because he didnt want to spend the small amount of money it would have cost to move it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I will hazard a guess that all 500 test drivers complained loudly about the location of the signature button....but the IE guy in charge of the testing ignored them because he didnt want to spend the small amount of money it would have cost to move it.

LOL

I venture a guess you don't have any rose-colored glasses at your house.

PENNYdaCHUG

I also believe we are responsible for our own actions. I simply question the reliability of the new technology being instituted by UPS. I did, however, post this under the title "Telematics--not very accurate". My contention is what if the info being supplied by Telematics is inaccurate and they use it against you. You not only would have to prove your innocence but the flaws in the Telematics. I would expect more from a Grisham novel lover. Doesn't he write "fiction" novels based on legal dramas? I think in this case art can imitate life quite easily.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I also believe we are responsible for our own actions. I simply question the reliability of the new technology being instituted by UPS. I did, however, post this under the title "Telematics--not very accurate". My contention is what if the info being supplied by Telematics is inaccurate and they use it against you. You not only would have to prove your innocence but the flaws in the Telematics. I would expect more from a Grisham novel lover. Doesn't he write "fiction" novels based on legal dramas? I think in this case art can imitate life quite easily.

The problem is this -

Everything that pops out of that computer is GOSPEL. Management can not and will not argue any numbers that is on the morning reports. To them, it is 100% accurate. Even if you come in with facts proving it isn't. They will tell you, "IT IS 100% ACCURATE"

Those emails from the higher ups to the center manager is THE WORD OF GOD. They have to follow it or do their bidding or else they will find another servant to sit in the seat. Its the way it is.

brett636

We have telematics in my hub, and I heard some drivers discussing it as I was walking in last Friday. Apparently it showed one of them not wearing their seatbelt all day due to a sensor malfunction. The contract language covers this by saying we cannot be disciplined on the first offense, so what if a sensor malfunctions over the course of several days? Can each day be counted as an "offense"? Is there language stating that they need to observe the employee performing the offense before they can be disciplined?

trickpony1

As far as the bribing of politicians I dare say you may have read one too many fiction novel.

I, honest to God, can't believe you said this.

I guess you've never heard of "government liason officer", yes, our company has these. What do they do?....use your imagination.
I guess you've never heard of "lobbyists", again, guess what they do.
I guess you've never had Senators and Representatives visit your hub complete with coffee and dough nuts. I wonder what they are really doing?
I guess you've never read my hometown newspaper that had an article talking about how right after "our" company got some new air routes to China, the checks were in the mail to respective gpovernment individuals. Bribe? what else would you call it?

Bribe? PROVE IT. (you can't).

If you wait long enough, Upstate, Dorothy and Toto will come romping around the corner.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
The problem is this -

Everything that pops out of that computer is GOSPEL. Management can not and will not argue any numbers that is on the morning reports. To them, it is 100% accurate. Even if you come in with facts proving it isn't. They will tell you, "IT IS 100% ACCURATE"

Those emails from the higher ups to the center manager is THE WORD OF GOD. They have to follow it or do their bidding or else they will find another servant to sit in the seat. Its the way it is.

amen...hallelujah hollaback

pretzel_man

I, honest to God, can't believe you said this.

I guess you've never heard of "government liason officer", yes, our company has these. What do they do?....use your imagination.
I guess you've never heard of "lobbyists", again, guess what they do.
I guess you've never had Senators and Representatives visit your hub complete with coffee and dough nuts. I wonder what they are really doing?
I guess you've never read my hometown newspaper that had an article talking about how right after "our" company got some new air routes to China, the checks were in the mail to respective gpovernment individuals. Bribe? what else would you call it?

Bribe? PROVE IT. (you can't).

If you wait long enough, Upstate, Dorothy and Toto will come romping around the corner.

UPS has a Public Affairs group in Washington DC. I guess you can call them lobbyists. I've never heard the term "government liason officer".

I had an opportunity a few years ago to spend a week with them to learn about the process, procedures, and their priorities. It was enlightening and made it clear to me how PACS work in general, but also how UPS and the government works.

Its clear to me that bribery does NOT go on. Here is a link:
http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/toppacs.php?cycle=2008&party=A

It shows where PAC money comes from and goes to. No one at UPS is risking jail over this.

If you're sure that UPS bribes politicians with PAC money, then I would guess you think the Teamsters do so also? The Teamsters have a larger PAC than UPS.

BTW, labor PACS dwarf business PACS.

P-Man

local804

Blagojevich was impeached and arrested on federal corruption charges when he was selling/bidding Baracks seat to the highest bidder. Anything can happen anywhere when greed comes into play.

sano

Blagojevich was impeached and arrested on federal corruption charges when he was selling/bidding Baracks seat to the highest bidder. Anything can happen anywhere when greed comes into play.

Well yeah... Thats Chicago. If we are going to talk Chicago politics that a whole different deal.:happy-very:

New Englander

Guys...how often is the seatbelt light flashing in these new Workhorses as your driving down the road - WITH the seat belt on? :)

Lots of faith in UPS keeping these systems working perfectly! Crap they can't even keep the monitors from shorting out from time to time!

UPS has a Public Affairs group in Washington DC. I guess you can call them lobbyists. I've never heard the term "government liason officer".

I had an opportunity a few years ago to spend a week with them to learn about the process, procedures, and their priorities. It was enlightening and made it clear to me how PACS work in general, but also how UPS and the government works.

Its clear to me that bribery does NOT go on. Here is a link:
http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/toppacs.php?cycle=2008&party=A

It shows where PAC money comes from and goes to. No one at UPS is risking jail over this.

If you're sure that UPS bribes politicians with PAC money, then I would guess you think the Teamsters do so also? The Teamsters have a larger PAC than UPS.

BTW, labor PACS dwarf business PACS.

P-Man
Now P-Man, I think you know that I hold your opinion high on the scale of credibility. I really do. Right now though I'm afraid you are wearing those rose colored glasses someone mentioned in another post.
Do you honestly believe that the folks in PAC will allow a one week visitor know everything they do? I'm sorry, life just doesn't work that way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying unequivocally that they bribe government officials but I will not keep my head in the sand to believe that it's their (PAC) shinning personalities that gets things changed to UPS's favor.

Guys...how often is the seatbelt light flashing in these new Workhorses as your driving down the road - WITH the seat belt on? :)

Lots of faith in UPS keeping these systems working perfectly! Crap they can't even keep the monitors from shorting out from time to time!
That's not the same sensor that telematics uses to monitor belt usage. The one you are talking about stays on (as a reminder) for a set amount of time regardless if the belt is fastened or not.

pretzel_man

Can you back this statement up specifically?

The statement was that Labor PACS are larger than business PACS.

Here is my backup. Its part of the Open Secrets web site.

Sorry but it pasted poorly. It looked good when it first pasted. Sorry

PAC Name
Total Amount
Dem Pct
Repub Pct
National Assn of Realtors
$4,013,900
58%
42%
Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
$3,344,650
98%
2%
AT&T Inc
$3,108,200
47%
52%
National Auto Dealers Assn
$2,864,000
34%
66%
National Beer Wholesalers Assn
$2,860,000
53%
47%
American Bankers Assn
$2,834,643
42%
58%
International Assn of Fire Fighters
$2,703,900
77%
23%
American Assn for Justice
$2,700,500
95%
4%
Operating Engineers Union
$2,692,667
87%
13%
Laborers Union
$2,540,350
92%
8%
Honeywell International
$2,512,116
52%
48%
National Assn of Home Builders
$2,482,000
46%
54%
Air Line Pilots Assn
$2,387,000
85%
15%
Machinists/Aerospace Workers Union
$2,326,800
97%
3%
Credit Union National Assn
$2,313,549
53%
47%
Plumbers/Pipefitters Union
$2,304,639
95%
5%
Service Employees International Union
$2,287,250
94%
6%
American Federation of Teachers
$2,279,750
99%
1%
Teamsters Union
$2,257,000
97%
3%
National Air Traffic Controllers Assn
$2,226,475
80%
20%

I encourage everyone to look at the web site and come to your own conclusions. I also find it interesting at the % republican vs. democrat contributions.

P-Man

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Thank you. I saw that listing too but I thought you might have seen a "labor vs. business" total contribution statement that I missed. It does appear that Unions do give bigger contributions but it also seems that businesses contribute more overall based on the fact that there are naturally more businesses than there are unions. This is if you take into consideration all businesses that contribute to PACs, not just the heavy hitters listed.

Regardless, it is not bribery for anyone or any entity to make a legal contribution to a politician. It cannot be forgotten that people and organizations contribute to politicians who share, and will best represent, their views. Why would you contribute to them otherwise?

Unfortunately, a lot of politicians also have the mindset of a prostitute. They will do and say anything you want, as long as your paying.

pretzel_man

Thank you. I saw that listing too but I thought you might have seen a "labor vs. business" total contribution statement that I missed. It does appear that Unions do give bigger contributions but it also seems that businesses contribute more overall based on the fact that there are naturally more businesses than there are unions. This is if you take into consideration all businesses that contribute to PACs, not just the heavy hitters listed.

Regardless, it is not bribery for anyone or any entity to make a legal contribution to a politician. It cannot be forgotten that people and organizations contribute to politicians who share, and will best represent, their views. Why would you contribute to them otherwise?

Unfortunately, a lot of politicians also have the mindset of a prostitute. They will do and say anything you want, as long as your paying.

I really like the OpenSecrets site. I've viewed it for years.

I also believe that it is NOT bribery to use the PAC system to make a legal contribution to a politician. I think PACs have become a necessary evil in order for an entity to get their message across.

I used to think that Politicians have a prostitute mindset (like you said). I don't really think that any more. (Even though I still dislike so much about the system)

When I visited our public affairs group, I had a chance to talk with a member of congress for a while. I asked him about political influence and the perception that you discussed.

He told me this and OpenSecrets backs up what he said... He said that there is a limit to how much an organization can legally give a politician. I think its $10,000.

He said that besides one's own moral code, $10,000 could not buy a vote. He said that he appreciates the contribution and respects UPS, but he would make up his own mind.

I view the $10,000 as money that is spent to tell your story.

P-Man