Ten Years ago today

helenofcalifornia

For those of you who had people cross the picket line, what happened to them? The one part-timer who crossed here, quit a couple of months later. Might have been the fact that a couple of drivers never missed the opportunity of yelling "scab" when the scab came in sight. I remember rotating shifts and able to watch the Persiedes meteor shower in the dark.

tieguy

Banned
Hey Red,

Not trying to start anything or set you up but I'm wondering if you can share that story you alluded to about a chicago local not going on strike in 97. I heard two spins to it one that they did not go out right away and two that they did not return when everyone else did?

badpal

For those of you who had people cross the picket line, what happened to them? The one part-timer who crossed here, quit a couple of months later. Might have been the fact that a couple of drivers never missed the opportunity of yelling "scab" when the scab came in sight. I remember rotating shifts and able to watch the Persiedes meteor shower in the dark.
Good point Helen. Anybody know if any scab ever got into management ?

Raw

Raw Member
I`m going to choose the end of the contract to take my 5 weeks vacation in 2008!! Just in case , then I`ll be sure to get paid!!:cool:

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
Local 710 in Chicago at the time had a "no strike" clause in the contract(710 & 705 have separate contracts from the rest of country), teamsters never crossed picket lines and were laid off.

rod

Retired 22 years
I went through 2 strikes. Also a one day "work stopage" sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. That one day thing was caused by the powers that be balking at paying off on a death benefit for a young kid that had accidently hung himself. I"m pretty sure it was just a regional thing. I had always saved for a rainy day so the strikes didn't have much effect on me other than being a big party. We also had many many donations of beer, pop, water, food and money. During both strikes we had a big army tent set up across the street from the center complete with cots, tv, strereo, refrigerator, freezer for ice, 5000 watt generator and 2 port-a-pots. We barbecued every day. If I could have convinced my wife to get 2 jobs a could of lived in that tent a long time. :)

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
We had two drivers and one part timer cross the line. One driver was fired a few years later and the p/t quit. The other driver is still there but no one has anything to do with him. He is still treated as a leper to this day.

over9five

Staff member
We had one preloader cross. Long time employee. He was fired right after that peak.

I had dinner with my family every night for three weeks. It was great.

area43

Helen, great question. I don't wont to take a thread that might have been started with lite hearted intentions and make it down right hostile. Thats not my intentions, but I can't hold back. So here it goes according to area 43. Just my opinion on the crossers. I will not use the word scab. Ooopps.

Ok, First I believe the people that crossed were self centered and self serving. Let me explain. There are the ones that crossed because they have dreams of being mgt. No other way to put it, just a major big butt kissing to the UPS brass in their attempt to become mgt. They had no problem of stepping on the face of all hourly employees that plan to retire hourly. In deed a Selfish cruel act.

Second, many that crossed were so to speak just passing thru their occupational endeavors, college kids(not to say all) or whatever reason. No real intentions of making a career with UPS, especially on the hourly side.

Now, for those(potential sups or hourlies) that have crossed and have justified it by what ever means let me put it another way. Lets just say YOU ran the strike and after one day you decided to cross the Picket line. Well!!! since you are our leader than we will all(nationally) have to cross. Are you starting to follow me. Ok, we are now all on the other side, thinking what in the hell are we doing. We just forfeited all Vacations(which by the way are probably the best in the hourly world), senority(that means I' ll have to go back to that dreaded downtown route), Pay(UPS can say , $10 dollars an hour,if you don't like it leave) second thought you are all fired and were going to the nearest temp agency and do all our hiring there. etc, etc. Do you see where this could end up. Folks, this is a real sensitive issue for me and I believe everyone(hourly) else.

Having, said that I will say this. I was going to start a thread on the word "loyalty". Teamsters, yes I am loyal, but when I see that they are doing something wrong I will call them out on it. Such as with Central States or defending a poop bird. The same goes for the Company. I believe there are some that are blind loyalist. Meaning the Teamsters can do no wrong or the Company can do no wrong. That is troubling.

In closing, no one wanted a strike. Did I agree totally with all the strike entailed, No, but I knew if it did occur we had to be committed to it. Folks, I do not imagine I would stay working for this company without a union. Lets be real, here. Example in our center in 2001 a head hunter center manager came in and within a 2 year period fired all pt and ft sup. One sup in partically had over 30 years with the company. He was well liked(loved, I'll say it) and his numbers were good. To this day I resent the fact they(UPS) fired him. On the other side of the coin there should be without a doubt Teamster poop birds firings.(we all know who they are, repeat offenders,3 strikes and your out permanetly should be the rule, Ok maybe 2 strikes) Folks, its not out of the kindness of UPS 's heart that we get what we get. Its because of the Teamsters and its members(us) sacrafice. Also another quick note. The strike authourization vote. Hmmmm, my opinion again. I believe it would always be a YES, regardless. I am not suggesting foul play. LOL Once its a YES, which it usually is, then the power is out of our hands. Its up to the Teamsters negotiating comm. Even if UPS makes a counter offer that the majority of its members(us) like, Tuff!!! its no longer in our hands. sincererly area43

That was a scarry time. Still have my WOPPING $55.00 teamster check for the week. Made a scrape book of all the fliers both UPS and the Teamsters sent us, and all of the newspaper clippings for the week. And I still have 2 strike signs.....somewhere in the garage.

Your local needs a strike fund. We got $300 a week. But I don't know where the money goes when we arn't in strike! lol

DS

Fenderbender
Best headlines in 1997
1. Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
2. Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Experts Say
3. Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
4. Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case
5. Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
6. Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus?
7. Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
8. Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
9. British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
10. Teacher Strikes Idle Kids
11. Clinton Wins Budget; More Lies Ahead
12. Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
13. Miners Refuse to Work After Death
14. Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
15. Stolen Painting Found by Tree
16. Two Sisters Reunited after 18 Years in Checkout Counter
17. War Dims Hope for Peace
18. If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
19. Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
20. Man Struck by Lightning Faces Battery Charge
21. New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
22. Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Space
23. Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
24. Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half

wornoutupser

My fondest memory of the support for the strike was a lady that pulled up to the picket line crying. We had a donation bucket by the side of the road and she put in $500.00.

All she ever said was that her father was a Teamster and she knew how hard a strike was.

I had a newborn with me on the line and my supervisor intentionally tried to hit me leaving in a P 10 one morning. Incidentally, the event was caught on tape as UPS had a sheriff deputy filming us across the road because we were "harrassing" them.

My manager took my run out one day and was found passed out from the heat on the side of the road by our towing company. That manager was a hammer, but he NEVER went after me again after the strike.

Perhaps the most enjoyable part was a huge raccoon that would try to break into the coolers every night. We had a great time watching his efforts!

badpal

I`m going to choose the end of the contract to take my 5 weeks vacation in 2008!! Just in case , then I`ll be sure to get paid!!:cool:
Well i hope maybe its settled before we pick vacations for next year. Sure quiet i havent even heard a good rumor lately.