Tentative Agreement

804brown

I read over the agreement a number of times. Did I miss the part where the 9.5 penalty pay would be triple time? Did it stay the same? During one of the conference calls there was talk of triple time, maybe I missed it?

Not sure if that was part of the smoke or the mirrors.

Packmule

Re: contract approval

I want to know if there is anyone out there that approves of this tentative agreement. If so, please speak your mind, win me over. I won't backlash and I hope others don't,as well. I just don't see it but I'd be a fool to think it wouldn't pass. I just want to know who's voting "yes"

Still undecided here. Don't really want their stupid raises. All that translates into is a far more hostile work environment for us, and higher dues for the Teamsters. Absolutely nothing impresses me as far as hours control or dealing with the heavy handed BS we deal with from the company should and accident or injury occur. Don't want a strike, but sure feel sold out right now. Were the Union bosses listening to us at all???

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

A PART TIME job is exactly that. NO part time job can support a family, so for people still riding that horse, it's time to dismount.

I'm not going to lie, unless I hear something at the meeting with my local that REALLY sways my opinion, I plan on voting yes.

Is the job perfect? By no means. But as others have said, we shovel cardboard for quite a good bit of money. I plan on having a nice chunk saved up by my retirement to not be dependent on a pension, so that's not such a bother either.

stink219

How are they going to eliminate OT for full time drivers?
By having $16/hour part time cover drivers with no 9.5 rights go out with all the work!!! You know as well as I do there are a ton of morons where you are that will do the job for $16/hour.... and since they are part time, NO progression.... just that adorable $.70 an hour raise.
Why do you think they started training facilities other than where you are? So they can train 100 part time package drivers a week, work them all 11hr days and eliminate OT from full timers.
You should be voting NO on your supplement instead. We only have summer and peak casual drivers. Even this new 9.5 language will protect our RI cover drivers based upon stipulation #1 and #2. You need to enforce the intent of language in your contract. Our cover drivers start at $18.75 under the new deal. Now, our casual drivers will be a pool of part timers. No more outside casuals. The time and duration that the casuals work will come off their progression. So if your PT to drive for the summer vacation and peak can take up to 24 weeks a year off your progression.

40andOut

By having $16/hour part time cover drivers with no 9.5 rights go out with all the work!!! You know as well as I do there are a ton of morons where you are that will do the job for $16/hour.... and since they are part time, NO progression.... just that adorable $.70 an hour raise.
Why do you think they started training facilities other than where you are? So they can train 100 part time package drivers a week, work them all 11hr days and eliminate OT from full timers.

Is there new language allowing a new classification of driver? If not, and this is already allowed, why don't we see it happening on a widespread basis now?

Overpaid Union Thug

I am voting no because....... .we are still expected to deliver 100+ lb freight (not packages) of furniture, and we still haven't given management any incentive NOT to violate our seniority and will continue to receive "will comply" letters from the hearings.

As far as the rest of the TA is concerned.....I'm happy.

RealPerson

A PART TIME job is exactly that. NO part time job can support a family, so for people still riding that horse, it's time to dismount.

I'm not going to lie, unless I hear something at the meeting with my local that REALLY sways my opinion, I plan on voting yes.

Is the job perfect? By no means. But as others have said, we shovel cardboard for quite a good bit of money. I plan on having a nice chunk saved up by my retirement to not be dependent on a pension, so that's not such a bother either.

You work at a Box Factory????
The Boxes I lift have Very Heavy things in them, and they must be lifted out of my power zone at a very fast pace.

SouthernComfort

Down south with the us getting the lowest pension nation wide, and this contract proposal offering as additional 200 for 30-35 years making it a whopping 3200 for 30 years and 3700 for 35 years is one reason I am voting no.. When I see a post from a driver out west who gets, after 25 years 3800-3900, and here we get 2000 after 25 years? Something is way out of whack..I am planning on retiring very soon, and was hoping for an increase in our pension but 200 dollars is ridiculous !!
You should be voting NO on your supplement instead. We only have summer and peak casual drivers. Even this new 9.5 language will protect our RI cover drivers based upon stipulation #1 and #2. You need to enforce the intent of language in your contract. Our cover drivers start at $18.75 under the new deal. Now, our casual drivers will be a pool of part timers. No more outside casuals. The time and duration that the casuals work will come off their progression. So if your PT to drive for the summer vacation and peak can take up to 24 weeks a year off your progression.

Check it again stink.... anytime a "part time cover driver" gets from Nov1-Dec31 will not count towards their progression. We had new cover drivers come up last year in Oct drive ALL peak, then got the boot back to the building because they can not earn time towards progression OR acquire cover driver seniority during peak. A few of those guys had 3 years more seniority than me and havent seen a truck since 2012... I know for a solid fact they wont return to just drive peak again this year for these wages when they can double in the hub for MORE $$$

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
How about this concept? Our organizing factions get out of the halls and into the streets and ORGANIZE and bring these folks up instead of lowering us down!!!! At 728 we are getting companies with 10 to 25 employees because our so called organizers continue to grasp for the low hanging fruit. Yes growth is nice but really? 10 to 25 new Teamsters at Joe's Deli hardly equates to several thousand Fred-Ex starving employees....BC
I think you miss my point: compared to what other Blue Collar Workers make in similar companies The TA far exceeds what employees of the companies I listed make,and would (IMO of course) be astounded anyone would consider a 'No' vote

As far as organizing, I am with you. Old Dominion Freight has a big hub on Moreland Ave and I would love to see these guys organized

UPSGUY72

Is there new language allowing a new classification of driver? If not, and this is already allowed, why don't we see it happening on a widespread basis now?

Find out for yourself and read the proposal.

I don't understand how people bitch and complain about the contract current and proposed with out reading them first.......

UPSGUY72

Down south with the us getting the lowest pension nation wide, and this contract proposal offering as additional 200 for 30-35 years making it a whopping 3200 for 30 years and 3700 for 35 years is one reason I am voting no.. When I see a post from a driver out west who gets, after 25 years 3800-3900, and here we get 2000 after 25 years? Something is way out of whack..I am planning on retiring very soon, and was hoping for an increase in our pension but 200 dollars is ridiculous !!

I don't know how many years you have in but people live off Social Security making a lot less then $2000 a month. It's called planning and have a budget for what your income is. You can't live like a king when you retire if you don't plan. Putting all your eggs in one basket for safe keeping hasn't been a good idea for ever.

UPS_Broken_Dreams

I really hope this happens, drivers are greedy and getting more part timers a chance to drive would be great. I would be that idiot to take your overtime away from you for $16 a hour with a grin :)

SouthernComfort

I don't know how many years you have in but people live off Social Security making a lot less then $2000 a month. It's called planning and have a budget for what your income is. You can't live like a king when you retire if you don't plan. Putting all your eggs in one basket for safe keeping hasn't been a good idea for ever.

Ive not made one complaint about $. Im 29 years old partner, I was driving at 21 making over $50k a year... more than the people I went to college with, YES I dropped out of college to drive the truck. Why? Better pay, better benefits, and a Fortune 500 company, I would not find that with a Criminal Justice degree. I almost have triple digits in 401k, I max out my Roth every year, and I do well on my index funds in my private portfolio. UPSGuy72.... relate with me man... the human body cant drive package 200 stops a day 5 days a week.
If you throw a soup can on the floor a half dozen times, it will eventually be so dented up it cant be open with a can opener, sure the soup is still fine... but the outside makes the inside worthless.