Tentative agreement

Superteeth2478

I already know what it was about. And it's too bad you TLDR'd that post, because it completely refutes any crap you can say against what I'm saying, and you know it. But let me TLDR it for you in case you didn't actually read it:
The union is not supposed to be a faction of full-timers and a faction of part-timers. Period. It's supposed to be a brotherhood. When full-timers pay no attention to what the part-timers are getting (and vice versa), it's no longer a brotherhood. Period. And guess what? This is exactly what the company wants. So congratulations, WE (not just part-timers, not just full-timers) have already lost.

And let me get my crystal ball out real quick...yes, it's saying that if this contract goes through, and it's because a record number of part-timers turned out, the next contract will cater even more to the part-timers (even as little as it actually is catering to them now). The company will see it as a tactic for decreasing costs overall, especially through decreasing pay and benefits for full-timers in favor of part-timers. Do I want to see this happen? NO. There's plenty to go around for part-timers and full-timers. But is it getting more and more likely? Yes.

Last edited:

Ghost in the Darkness

They wanted to tone down the shouts for a strike and taper it into a "we will work under the old contract until it gets settled" mindset considering this garbage they came up with is going to be voted down... and they know its going to be.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
It seems that 9 out of 10 people on here are already completely dissatisfied with the contract. If they meet in July, have the 2 person meeting the following week, and have the membership vote the next week doesnt that pretty much put us at voting around the same time the contract expires?

It seems that 9 out of 10 people on here are already completely dissatisfied with the contract. If they meet in July, have the 2 person meeting the following week, and have the membership vote the next week doesnt that pretty much put us at voting around the same time the contract expires?
We will work under an extension because we have a tentative agreement

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Any of you old timers heard any pension numbers? It would be nice if it went up enough to entice some drivers to leave... I can't remember the last time we had someone retire close to the 30 year mark, most are closer to 40.

Also, did I read these new hybrid drivers can't be used if any regular drivers are on layoff for the day? I guess if that kills dead days it will get some old drivers out of our building. We have quite a few package car drivers who only work T-friend with Monday being a dead day.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I'll be voting no. Not enough part time wage increase. My building is already at 15 to start which will put me at 15-15.75 by my fith year.

This was a big shock to me. Considering a ton of hubs are already having problems getting part timers and most states are already at $12 minimum wage or more, or are at least talking about it. I really thought this would be an easy win for the Union.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Seriously? My bad.
I know you are a good guy but you aren’t representative of every FedEx ground contractor... there is a BIG difference between someone who owns 3 or 4 routes and a individual driver who isn’t getting healthcare, a 401k or anything except an hourly wage from someone who owns the routes like you... let me know if I’m wrong on this...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Not sure why but I got this email today.

upload_2018-6-22_14-48-1.png

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Any of you old timers heard any pension numbers? It would be nice if it went up enough to entice some drivers to leave... I can't remember the last time we had someone retire close to the 30 year mark, most are closer to 40.

Also, did I read these new hybrid drivers can't be used if any regular drivers are on layoff for the day? I guess if that kills dead days it will get some old drivers out of our building. We have quite a few package car drivers who only work T-friend with Monday being a dead day.
Rick, what do you think about these sleeper runs ??? 2000 feeder drivers turning into ups gypos??? That should be interesting....

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Rick, what do you think about these sleeper runs ??? 2000 feeder drivers turning into ups gypos??? That should be interesting....

Our sleeper supervisor has been hinting at us getting more runs but he swears he doesn't know when or how many. I do know some of the sleeper schedules have been thrown off by late trains. A friend of mine said there were about 40 sleeper treams waiting at the railyard a month or so back... I think 2 trains were late. I believe that was Mesquite.

It would fit the profile of running more weekend deliveries. It's quicker to drive than go on the rail. I also believe it's cheaper to run sleepers than fly more planes... I'm sure they are also trying to take more loads of the animals system any way possible.

Right now most of our runs are 4.5 to 5.5 days with maybe 12 hours home somewhere in the week. If they were 3-4 days going longer distances each leg I would think about it.

You heard anything?

UPS Preloader

But this isn't a very good deal for part timers either.

This is a decent deal for people that will start at ups a few years from now.

And here's what is gonna happen. The company isn't even hiding it either. They are gonna automate the :censored2: out of stuff over the next 5 years and reduce the PT workforce.

Over time, hybrid drivers could eliminate the current classification of drivers. Going forward, what is to stop UPS from hiring all full timers to load their trucks and then go on road and deliver at a lower cost than the current full time drivers? Right now, they are supposedly limited to 25%, but who knows what the next contact will bring.

Hybrid drivers could also eventually eliminate the part time employee. Once again, going forward, what is to stop UPS from hiring all full timers to load their trucks and then go on road and deliver at a lower cost than the current full time drivers?