Tentative agreement

Pullman Brown

Okay so on my way home I thought about this more. So we have around 30 FT drivers. That’s means we can have 7-8 hybrid drivers, correct? We run around 13-14 on preload. So there’s a good chance I’ll be there making my $15 an hour, while over half of the other workers (hybrids) will be making $20/hr up to $30/hr over the next few years and I’ll be up to like $17/hr. For the same job???

Yeah I like this less and less the more I think about it. Nothing against those that choose to become hybrids. Just how is the reasonably fair? Especially since I’m simply not able to take the hybrid position. Even if I wanted too I can’t. Seems like a good way to piss off and weed out part timers that have been there, and aren’t taking full time jobs.

That leads the way to new hires at lower rates, fighting to become hybrids, at lower rates than FT drivers. Yep. There better be something really nice on that contract that they’re not telling us yet.

Not only that but if all they do is freeze these full-time driving jobs and don't create new ones, which common sense says they would have to, but assuming the pace of new full-time jobs now is slowed down because of these hybrid jobs, it will be harder for guys who want to drive full-time to get them especially outlining centers with a limited amount of these jobs to begin with.

PizzaToUps

Can a cover driver who is 1 year in progression move into the hybrid driver spot to be full time? I hope my $27 an hour will be red circled too. Anyone got info on this?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Please. Most of these drivers live above their means. Once the OT dries up they will all be in trouble.
Dude... there are guys in feeder who only want 8 or 9 hours... I know there are some that want 90 hours a week but that is one reason why in this area they are having trouble getting feeder and pc drivers at all... many don’t want 10 or 11 hour days...

Total package

We can rebuild him
If ups can make money now Mon thru Friday they can pay "hybrids" the same delivery rate on Saturdays and Sundays or whenever the hell they work for whatever time they're on road. If the company backs out then scrap the whole damn idea. There, problem solved

dogs.bite.me

Life isn’t fair sport. Tcd make more then some full timers that are not topped out yet for doing the same job also.
but these FT drivers will eventually make more than the TCD. He will never top out more than a hybrid, even if he had 10 years seniority on him.

Indecisi0n

Dude... there are guys in feeder who only want 8 or 9 hours... I know there are some that want 90 hours a week but that is one reason why in this area they are having trouble getting feeder and pc drivers at all... many don’t want 10 or 11 hour days...
Every feeder guy I met is a OT whore.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Can a cover driver who is 1 year in progression move into the hybrid driver spot to be full time? I hope my $27 an hour will be red circled too. Anyone got info on this?
And then go from hybrid to full time regular to top out at 40??? That’s the same question I would like to know...ups wants some flexibility here but that does come with a price...

Indecisi0n

Not here bud.... everywhere is different... then you can have all these ot whores go get one of these sleeper team jobs and make even more money....It will open up some bid runs for you...
They all show me their pay stubs and are so proud. They work every Saturday and Sunday they get the chance. I dont get it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Gumby worked hard and saved his money wisely. Don't worry about me.
Wdfd!!!!

I’m actually glad you had the fortitude and drive to be proactive about it an I hope there is good raises for everyone’s pension contributions that actually make a difference...

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Yeah but twice as much? And eventually he full timers catch up right? How do I even get close?

What this really means is they “can” pay PT’ers more. They’re just choosing not to, and creating this in between position. Which the more I think about it, is a long term play to undermine current part time and full time employees.
I think you need to worry more about automation taking your job then not making what a hybrid drive will..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think you need to worry more about automation taking your job then not making what a hybrid drive will..
We have some automated buildings around here and there still are hundreds of people working there and they STILL hire regularly.... don’t be fooled by this “automation revolution “....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If ups can make money now Mon thru Friday they can pay "hybrids" the same delivery rate on Saturdays and Sundays or whenever the hell they work for whatever time they're on road. If the company backs out then scrap the whole damn idea. There, problem solved
That’s why it would be ideal to get language in the contract that states hybrids can only work on sat and Sunday.... and on a weekday only if there is a dire emergency like half the center calls out on a sick day....and language that states “ no m-friend full time driver will be laid off because of work being given to a hybrid driver... furthermore no hybrid driver will work any weekday unless there is an emergency or an act of GOD...”