Tentative agreement

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had the same conversation this morning with another Driver. At first, I thought the same thing. There goes the OT, but it really does not fit the UPS model. No matter what, UPS wants less trucks on the road. I think they will still be cutting rts.
If we were making 10 bucks an hour they would still be cutting routes...

MattE

Wow this will be an interesting vote. And I'm a PT'er at a smaller center with several other PT'ers who aren't interested in driving. In my case I can't, as due to a birth defect, I can't pass the DOT physical. Anyway there are several others at my center that for varying reasons aren't interested in driving. And I don't think this new hybrid spot will be for them either.

So why should I, or the others, vote for this contract? I started in august as negotiations were going on for the current contract. So I'm now just under $15/hr. Not bad for a PT job, w/the benefits. But someone new walks in this august and I'll only be making $2 more after working here 6 years? Yeah I get that $2 an hour is a decent amount. But IMO there needs to be some kind of good raise across the board.

Mayby I should just be happy with seeing those others around me, that are interested in hybrid spots, me getting them. These same spots I might be interested in, that I can't take advantage of if I wanted? Maybe the perspective on being on the outside looking in, but I too see these hybrid spots as the beginning of the end for current drivers, and possible PT'ers. Get enough automation in place and these hybrid guys can do preload and delivery. At much less than what current drivers make. Feeder drivers will be next to go.

But I should wait until I see the rest of the contract? What's it going to show me? I already have another job with a retirement plan. Anything I get here will be simply a (nice) bonus. Insurance benefits are already plenty good for me. I mean if they can get better, I won't complain, but unless they pay me to see a doctor, I'm not sure what they can offer.

FWIW I'm here for the insurance. My other job is at a small business. I took the UPS job so I would have insurance since Obamacare stated I had to have insurance or pay a fine. There is finally some things changing that will allow small business to provide health care at a reasonable price. So my days my be numbered at UPS. Unless they can actually show me something that makes me want to stay. Like a $3/hr raise. And I'm not interested in just some bonus. Maybe a $2/hr raise and a $1-2k bonus. But a bonus in lieu of an actual raise cutting my own throat.

All that said, I will wait and see the full contract, but don't get your hopes up for a yes vote from me. Also I've never had much of a need to be very active in our union, but for having all the ammo we should have had, this is somewhat disappointing for current employees. Even if they don't realize it.

F

Frankie's Friend

There should be clifnotes for those of us that are new and it's our first negotiations. Being newer I dont get very much of this. Makes it hard to vote. Everyone looks at pay who doesnt understand much of it, Including me. I've asked my steward questions and I get gibberish as if I know what was going on in contracts before I became part of Teamsters. The way I'm seeing it and am clearly not understanding... the hybrid drivers for example.. it sucks delivering 200+ a day in :censored2:ed up trucks that are completely out of order. So wouldn't a hybrid driver help us out with this? Why is it a bad thing?
How about promoting part time employees into real package car jobs?! And then put them on the street?
Why are we digressing?

Indecisi0n

fight fight fight

tenor.gif

F

Frankie's Friend

Stay the course. This new job will make the 9.5 situation more cut and dry.
Okay, here are some common issues with your typical UPS driver

1. 9.5
2. 8 hour requests
3. To much work and harassment.
4. being to afraid to put themselves on the 9.5 list

These drivers/inside combo 22.4 employees will help alleviate a lot of these issues.
If the 9.5 situation is improving then why are you using that as a reason to allow hybrid drivers?
Come on Tony. You know that's a problem statement.

MattE

Okay so on my way home I thought about this more. So we have around 30 FT drivers. That’s means we can have 7-8 hybrid drivers, correct? We run around 13-14 on preload. So there’s a good chance I’ll be there making my $15 an hour, while over half of the other workers (hybrids) will be making $20/hr up to $30/hr over the next few years and I’ll be up to like $17/hr. For the same job???

Yeah I like this less and less the more I think about it. Nothing against those that choose to become hybrids. Just how is the reasonably fair? Especially since I’m simply not able to take the hybrid position. Even if I wanted too I can’t. Seems like a good way to piss off and weed out part timers that have been there, and aren’t taking full time jobs.

That leads the way to new hires at lower rates, fighting to become hybrids, at lower rates than FT drivers. Yep. There better be something really nice on that contract that they’re not telling us yet.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Okay so on my way home I thought about this more. So we have around 30 FT drivers. That’s means we can have 7-8 hybrid drivers, correct? We run around 13-14 on preload. So there’s a good chance I’ll be there making my $15 an hour, while over half of the other workers (hybrids) will be making $20/hr up to $30/hr over the next few years and I’ll be up to like $17/hr. For the same job???

Yeah I like this less and less the more I think about it. Nothing against those that choose to become hybrids. Just how is the reasonably fair? Especially since I’m simply not able to take the hybrid position. Even if I wanted too I can’t. Seems like a good way to piss off and weed out part timers that have been there, and aren’t taking full time jobs.

That leads the way to new hires at lower rates, fighting to become hybrids, at lower rates than FT drivers. Yep. There better be something really nice on that contract that they’re not telling us yet.
Life isn’t fair sport. Tcd make more then some full timers that are not topped out yet for doing the same job also.

Blackstream

If we were making 10 bucks an hour they would still be cutting routes...
Of course, because no matter how much money they're making currently, it's never enough. Maybe it'll be okay for 5-10 years, but eventually the pressure to get every penny they can will come back and they'll try cutting labor to squeeze out a few more pennies. Then they'll find a level that barely works, and then flow will pick up and suddenly everyone has 11 hour days again and we're right back to where we started.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I just cannot wrap my head around the pay increase. Huge tax cuts, profits soaring, business booming. And we get an extra nickel a year over the last contract...
But if the pension contributions and healthcare benefits are exceptional then imo I’m ok with it..health and welfare cost this company billions...and if they had to agree to dump a bunch of money to help out with our members who pensions are hurting then I’m all for it... I really don’t want @Gumby living with me for the next 30 years because he can’t live in his 900 dollar a month pension...

But if the pension contributions and healthcare benefits are exceptional then imo I’m ok with it..health and welfare cost this company billions...and if they had to agree to dump a bunch of money to help out with our members who pensions are hurting then I’m all for it... I really don’t want @Gumby living with me for the next 30 years because he can’t live in his 900 dollar a month pension...
Gumby worked hard and saved his money wisely. Don't worry about me.

MattE

Life isn’t fair sport. Tcd make more then some full timers that are not topped out yet for doing the same job also.

Yeah but twice as much? And eventually he full timers catch up right? How do I even get close?

What this really means is they “can” pay PT’ers more. They’re just choosing not to, and creating this in between position. Which the more I think about it, is a long term play to undermine current part time and full time employees.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Wow this will be an interesting vote. And I'm a PT'er at a smaller center with several other PT'ers who aren't interested in driving. In my case I can't, as due to a birth defect, I can't pass the DOT physical. Anyway there are several others at my center that for varying reasons aren't interested in driving. And I don't think this new hybrid spot will be for them either.

So why should I, or the others, vote for this contract? I started in august as negotiations were going on for the current contract. So I'm now just under $15/hr. Not bad for a PT job, w/the benefits. But someone new walks in this august and I'll only be making $2 more after working here 6 years? Yeah I get that $2 an hour is a decent amount. But IMO there needs to be some kind of good raise across the board.

Mayby I should just be happy with seeing those others around me, that are interested in hybrid spots, me getting them. These same spots I might be interested in, that I can't take advantage of if I wanted? Maybe the perspective on being on the outside looking in, but I too see these hybrid spots as the beginning of the end for current drivers, and possible PT'ers. Get enough automation in place and these hybrid guys can do preload and delivery. At much less than what current drivers make. Feeder drivers will be next to go.

But I should wait until I see the rest of the contract? What's it going to show me? I already have another job with a retirement plan. Anything I get here will be simply a (nice) bonus. Insurance benefits are already plenty good for me. I mean if they can get better, I won't complain, but unless they pay me to see a doctor, I'm not sure what they can offer.

FWIW I'm here for the insurance. My other job is at a small business. I took the UPS job so I would have insurance since Obamacare stated I had to have insurance or pay a fine. There is finally some things changing that will allow small business to provide health care at a reasonable price. So my days my be numbered at UPS. Unless they can actually show me something that makes me want to stay. Like a $3/hr raise. And I'm not interested in just some bonus. Maybe a $2/hr raise and a $1-2k bonus. But a bonus in lieu of an actual raise cutting my own throat.

All that said, I will wait and see the full contract, but don't get your hopes up for a yes vote from me. Also I've never had much of a need to be very active in our union, but for having all the ammo we should have had, this is somewhat disappointing for current employees. Even if they don't realize it.

What’s your affliction?