Tentative new 5 year deal in place.

dezguy

Anyone who doesn't believe the wage we get isn't directly tied to what UPS employees get, is clueless.

Here particularly, FedEx pays just close enough to keep most satisfied. Otherwise, we'd be seeing another union drive like we saw 10 years ago.

Oldfart

UPS is the very reason we have an actual wage progression. Our top pay market is close to UPS wages. I'd say FedEx looks at their pay scale quite often these days.
After 43 years Fedex began the wage progression and you believe it was because of UPS? Interesting.

Oldfart

Anyone who doesn't believe the wage we get isn't directly tied to what UPS employees get, is clueless.

Here particularly, FedEx pays just close enough to keep most satisfied. Otherwise, we'd be seeing another union drive like we saw 10 years ago.
If Fedex followed the UPS pay plan why does a courier in Springfield Missouri make less than a courier in Boston Ma. The courier in Springfield is most likely making 12-14 an hour less than UPS in Springfield.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Yes because of a massive turnover problem they finally are trying to address. Ttku
Which is it? UPS pay or turnover. I have known dozens of people to quit over the years and I can't remember 1 person that went to UPS. If a person quits because he doesn't make UPS money, he is delusional. Maybe besides old school auto workers and upper pay Fedex couriers, not many non-skilled hourly people are gonna make UPS money.

MAKAVELI

If Fedex followed the UPS pay plan why does a courier in Springfield Missouri make less than a courier in Boston Ma. The courier in Springfield is most likely making 12-14 an hour less than UPS in Springfield.
Lowest pay scale for a topped out FedEx courier is about $8 less than UPS. Each market pay scale is determined by the ability to retain workers. Don't get it twisted. Every FedEx courier looks at UPS wages and determines wether it's worth it to stay at FedEx.

MAKAVELI

Which is it? UPS pay or turnover. I have known dozens of people to quit over the years and I can't remember 1 person that went to UPS. If a person quits because he doesn't make UPS money, he is delusional. Maybe besides old school auto workers and upper pay Fedex couriers, not many non-skilled hourly people are gonna make UPS money.
Most who quit wouldn't if they were close to UPS pay. You don't see many jump to UPS because of their workload and/or don't want to start part time inside.

dezguy

Most who quit wouldn't if they were close to UPS pay. You don't see many jump to UPS because of thert workload and/or don't want to start part time inside.
And FedEx knows this. They know they can offer juuuuust enough to keep people from leaving. Also why they pay PT employees the same rate as FT. They know they have a better chance of keeping PT employees around if they dangle that carrot.

Oldfart

Lowest pay scale for a topped out FedEx courier is about $8 less than UPS. Each market pay scale is determined by the ability to retain workers. Don't get it twisted. Every FedEx courier looks at UPS wages and determines wether it's worth it to stay at FedEx.
Think it might be more than $8 but not for sure. Like I said, where is a non skilled worker gonna go to make UPS money? If a fella is making $27 an hour at Fedex and gets upset and quits because he doesn't make UPS money, where is he gonna go and make more than $27 an hour?

Oldfart

Most who quit wouldn't if they were close to UPS pay. You don't see many jump to UPS because of their workload and/or don't want to start part time inside.
The courier in Springfield, Mo is nowhere near UPS pay. How can you say Fedex followed the UPS pay scale when they decided what to pay in Springfield? If UPS gets a .90 raise the first year, is Fedex gonna start over on their pay steps?

MAKAVELI

The courier in Springfield, Mo is nowhere near UPS pay. How can you say Fedex followed the UPS pay scale when they decided what to pay in Springfield? If UPS gets a .90 raise the first year, is Fedex gonna start over on their pay steps?
Because that's what FedEx determined to retain employees. Now if Springfield, MO experiences a massive turnover, FedeF will most definitely make a market adjustment to keep employees. Why do you think they implemented the 10 step wage progression?

Oldfart

Because that's what FedEx determined to retain employees. Now if Springfield, MO experiences a massive turnover, FedeF will most definitely make a market adjustment to keep employees. Why do you think they implemented the 10 step wage progression?
IMO they made the 10 step to have a defined pay scale. No more guessing and mystery as to what your pay would be throughout your years. I don't believe UPS has a similar scale so you can't say we copied theirs. Fedex needed a definite pay scale to show the employees what they were gonna make and in most cases, it is still a good bit behind UPS in places other than the highest market cities. Like I said, if UPS is gonna get .90 cent raises and work up to $40, is Fedex gonna redo their step progression. For those that insist Fedex gives us raises based on UPS salaries, Fedex will have to redo their math.

MAKAVELI

IMO they made the 10 step to have a defined pay scale. No more guessing and mystery as to what your pay would be throughout your years. I don't believe UPS has a similar scale so you can't say we copied theirs. Fedex needed a definite pay scale to show the employees what they were gonna make and in most cases, it is still a good bit behind UPS in places other than the highest market cities. Like I said, if UPS is gonna get .90 cent raises and work up to $40, is Fedex gonna redo their step progression. For those that insist Fedex gives us raises based on UPS salaries, Fedex will have to redo their math.
Like I said it depends on the market and what it takes to retain employees in a market. Our top market is close to UPS pay so I'd imagine they will have to continue to keep close to them in those markets.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you people aren't happy with 40/hr you need to try and find another job making that much with no education. Bunch of pansy whining ungrateful punks.

Most people are unhappy about the rate because it won't keep up with inflation. If your raises weren't keeping up with inflation, you should also be unhappy about it. If you are ok with your buying power decreasing every year for doing the same work, you are the cause of not only your own problems, but you, and everyone like you, are responsible for the decreased buying power of the entire working class.

Having said that, the pay rate for full time ground drivers is not the make or break issue most people are focused on.

floridays

You better be glad they got away from "Pay for performance"
No Sir, My assumption is you should be glad they got away from "Pay for performance". I haven't read what led up to your post, I start with your statement.
Topped out all you needed was a 4 out of seven. Others had to bust their ass, compared to you to get a good review to get a larger raise. I'll lay money, in an unfamiliar area, different state to both, 90- 95% of couriers would kick your ass. If my post is BS because I didn't read the previous posts I apologize. I doubt I'm far off base however just knowing of you.

floridays

No Sir, My assumption is you should be glad they got away from "Pay for performance". I haven't read what led up to your post, I start with your statement.
Topped out all you needed was a 4 out of seven. Others had to bust their ass, compared to you to get a good review to get a larger raise. I'll lay money, in an unfamiliar area, different state to both, 90- 95% of couriers would kick your ass. If my post is BS because I didn't read the previous posts I apologize. I doubt I'm far off base however just knowing of you.
God bless you Cactus

vantexan

They came up with the pay plan to slow down the turnover. Guys like you will be gone eventually. It's the 20 something's who are the future. When a guy has 12 years in, is $8hr behind top out, works a tough route and gets a 2% raise, like 32 cents, it's a kick in the teeth. If they all accepted it and didn't quit FedEx would still be doing it because one thing FedEx has proven is they will only pay just enough to keep people at it. So a 24 yr old with a year in was seeing what was happening to guys who put in 10-15+ years and saying screw it, I'm not killing myself for this. When I started at 24 I saw a bright future at FedEx. What were new hires in the last 15 years before the new pay plan seeing?