Tentative new 5 year deal in place.

Purplepackage

They came up with the pay plan to slow down the turnover. Guys like you will be gone eventually. It's the 20 something's who are the future. When a guy has 12 years in, is $8hr behind top out, works a tough route and gets a 2% raise, like 32 cents, it's a kick in the teeth. If they all accepted it and didn't quit FedEx would still be doing it because one thing FedEx has proven is they will only pay just enough to keep people at it. So a 24 yr old with a year in was seeing what was happening to guys who put in 10-15+ years and saying screw it, I'm not killing myself for this. When I started at 24 I saw a bright future at FedEx. What were new hires in the last 15 years before the new pay plan seeing?

They were seeing a job to put food on the table, at my old station a few of those people who stuck it out the past 15 years came from companies like herrs and frito lay. Companies that you work 12-14 hours a day selling chips and have half your income based off sales. One guy said he couldn’t make anymore than 42k a year no matter how hard he worked.

And now step 3 of a swing driver makes 42k a year based off a 40 hour week, new hires have gotten extremely lucky

Oldfart

They came up with the pay plan to slow down the turnover. Guys like you will be gone eventually. It's the 20 something's who are the future. When a guy has 12 years in, is $8hr behind top out, works a tough route and gets a 2% raise, like 32 cents, it's a kick in the teeth. If they all accepted it and didn't quit FedEx would still be doing it because one thing FedEx has proven is they will only pay just enough to keep people at it. So a 24 yr old with a year in was seeing what was happening to guys who put in 10-15+ years and saying screw it, I'm not killing myself for this. When I started at 24 I saw a bright future at FedEx. What were new hires in the last 15 years before the new pay plan seeing?
Like I said. They needed a defined pay plan so people will know what they will be making at various stages of employment. Believe you kinda said the same thing.

Oldfart

No Sir, My assumption is you should be glad they got away from "Pay for performance". I haven't read what led up to your post, I start with your statement.
Topped out all you needed was a 4 out of seven. Others had to bust their ass, compared to you to get a good review to get a larger raise. I'll lay money, in an unfamiliar area, different state to both, 90- 95% of couriers would kick your ass. If my post is BS because I didn't read the previous posts I apologize. I doubt I'm far off base however just knowing of you.
Whatever you say boss. As long as my manager and SM is happy, that's all that matters.

vantexan

They were seeing a job to put food on the table, at my old station a few of those people who stuck it out the past 15 years came from companies like herrs and frito lay. Companies that you work 12-14 hours a day selling chips and have half your income based off sales. One guy said he couldn’t make anymore than 42k a year no matter how hard he worked.

And now step 3 of a swing driver makes 42k a year based off a 40 hour week, new hires have gotten extremely lucky
I worked in a supermarket for 4 years and saw how hard the chips guys worked. Maybe long hours but those aren't heavy boxes. And they work on a set route not getting ping ponged all over the place. New hires today are fortunate. They're fortunate that new hires were willing to walk away from the job so that the company was willing to give in and pay better.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I worked in a supermarket for 4 years and saw how hard the chips guys worked. Maybe long hours but those aren't heavy boxes. And they work on a set route not getting ping ponged all over the place. New hires today are fortunate. They're fortunate that new hires were willing to walk away from the job so that the company was willing to give in and pay better.
And they were making $35K a year when the minimum wage was $4.75/hr.

!Retired!

Didn't say they weren't aware. I have never been told we were getting a raise because UPS got a raise. The UPS and Fedex business model couldn't be more different. The pay scale and benefit package is just as different. Then again, our working condition are just as different. Just ask any package car driver. They make more but I will take my job situation and works hours over theirs any day.

People like you and many others on here like OP and bacha could make UPS pay and you would still complain. It's all you know. Bummer
Yup..
Don't get it twisted. Every FedEx courier looks at UPS wages and determines wether it's worth it to stay at FedEx.
Wrong, I could care less what a UPS driver makes, they don't pay my bills. If I couldn't make a decent living at FedEx, I would have left a LONG time ago.
Most who quit wouldn't if they were close to UPS pay. You don't see many jump to UPS because of their workload and/or don't want to start part time inside.
So, you agree they do more. So, we're not the same. I wouldn't trade my workload/pay for UPS's.

bacha29

Yup..

Wrong, I could care less what a UPS driver makes, they don't pay my bills. If I couldn't make a decent living at FedEx, I would have left a LONG time ago.

So, you agree they do more. So, we're not the same. I wouldn't trade my workload/pay for UPS's.
Your comment would appear to be an admission on your part that you're not as motivated or as ambitious as a brown grunt.

Oldfart

Your comment would appear to be an admission on your part that you're not as motivated or as ambitious as a brown grunt.
What does motivation and ambition have to do with your pay? Unless you have a desired skill, your options are limited as far as a delivery driver. Motivation and ambition are not gonna get you more money as a courier at Fedex or UPS. Unless being a swing or RTD driver constitutes ambition and motivation, you are gonna make what they want to pay you.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member

I’m not interested in doing Brown’s job, honestly. I work plenty hard on my route but I don’t want 60 hours a week in a bricked out package car. And I love my 4 day schedule.

MAKAVELI

Yup..

So you looked at their pay/workload and decided FedEx is for you? That's pretty much what I said.lol

Oldfart

So you looked at their pay/workload and decided FedEx is for you? That's pretty much what I said.lol
You also said UPS pay scale resulted in our 10 step pay scale? Like I said, in most markets, UPS has always been a few steps ahead of our pay. Fedex decided after 43 years to implement the 10 step to keep up with UPS? Not hardly. It was designed to give employees a definite salary at each stage of their employment. No more guessing or mystery. If you are correct and UPS gives their drivers $41 and change on the last year of their contract, Fedex will have to redo their chart and start over on their 10 steps. Time will tell.

MAKAVELI

You also said UPS pay scale resulted in our 10 step pay scale? Like I said, in most markets, UPS has always been a few steps ahead of our pay. Fedex decided after 43 years to implement the 10 step to keep up with UPS? Not hardly. It was designed to give employees a definite salary at each stage of their employment. No more guessing or mystery. If you are correct and UPS gives their drivers $41 and change on the last year of their contract, Fedex will have to redo their chart and start over on their 10 steps. Time will tell.
They had to implement a 10 step plan because people were leaving in droves. Our biggest competitors all have wage progression scales. Like I said everything they do is to retain new hires and mid-range employees. There's a reason FedEx highest markets are close in top out pay to UPS. You are just trying to argue semantics.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Like I said. They needed a defined pay plan so people will know what they will be making at various stages of employment. Believe you kinda said the same thing.
They needed a defined pay plan to keep turnover down. It's kinda weird but pay is almost directly related to turnover.