Termination

Whereistheunion

Hello, so I’m currently terminated from UPS after being loyal to the company for close to 10 years. Here is why (still fighting)

I delivered a package to a house with a longer driveway that had a circle drive. While pulling in a noticed two dogs running along side of the truck but nothing concerning. Proceeded to make the delivery. Closed both doors and windows (raining and cold that day). As I look in my left mirror I see one dog by my back rear driver side wheel but not too close to truck. Look in my left and see the other dog by garage. I take off and proceeded to my next delivery.

Two days later I get a call saying they are taking me out of service because I hit a dog and there is video proof of it. So they pull me off route at 2pm and tell me to talk to union rep. I didn’t sign anything or nor did they say I was terminated.

Fast forward the following week (last week) for the hearing and they had their minds up before the hearing even started. Everything I said or my union rep said they were not buying. (In the video when I start to pull off, the dog that was on my left rear sneaks up all the way around my front left tire, never making contact with it and that’s when it gets hung up and choked under the truck and then at the end you see the dog laying at the end of the driveway).

I will be traveling 5 hours to my next hearing to fight for my job but it’s pretty self explanatory and the video speaks for itself.

What do y’all think? Please be positive as possible as im still shook from the whole thing. (I’m a dog lover)

Also let’s add that my union rep doesn’t think I’ll get back pay for this.
Sounds like you were terminated for not reporting an accident that you had knowledge of. And now you are going to a panel to decide your fate. I'm curious about your history with the company (UPS). Have you been terminated before? The company took a NO NONSENSE approach in your case. Most UPS drivers don't go to a panel hearing for Dog accidents if reported properly.

ManInBrown

I have multiple 2 mile long driveways on my route.
Yeah, I think I’ve seen you post pictures of your area. The Northwest? I would definitely be pulling in those driveways. I could see every house on my package route from he road except for one. They were just far away from the street.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I had a long tree lined "driveway" that a P1000 wouldn't get under....literally. I had to walk. Always an NDA(meds). That stop took about 20 minutes. Not sure how long(the driveway) it was....but about 20 minutes. The dominoes fell after. Instantly behind all day. Mgt: shrug. But I did make the least best(over-allowed) report everyday....which led to intent to terminate......until that mgt team rotated out. Absolutely true.
Ripley’s is looking for new episodes

quad decade guy

Quick poll-- How many BC members have been "fired" during their time at UPS ?
In my 39 years , I was fired 4 times and threaten to be fired too many times to count.
Zero. Fired.

Zero. Suspended.

Handful of warning letters.

Intent to term. Once. Which quietly went away when bluff called.....

39 years.....whew........made you at least 61 when you retired.....still older than me........failed to plan financially.....eh? :wink2:

Yeah....chuckle.

Where's the hateful bullying, shaming, belittling and coveting envy? Come on guys....

UnionStrong

Zero. Fired.

Zero. Suspended.

39 years.....whew........made you at least 61 when you retired.....still older than me........failed to plan financially.....eh? :wink2:

Yeah....chuckle.

Where's the hateful bullying, shaming, belittling and coveting envy? Come on guys....
Chuckle. As if….

UnionStrong

Zero. Fired.

Zero. Suspended.

Yeah....chuckle.

🥺

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Zero. Fired.

Zero. Suspended.

Yeah....chuckle.

Reported Bullying

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Medically unfit to continue work, Plantar Fasciitis in both feet.
Surgery didn't help. Age 60.
Very, very healthy 401K. { Even though UPS does not have a company matching program. }
Giving up some luxuries and investing the cash , really paid off.

tourists24

Quick poll-- How many BC members have been "fired" during their time at UPS ?
In my 39 years , I was fired 4 times and threaten to be fired too many times to count.
Was only fired once but had to sit out for 3 months to get a panel decision. Ditto on the threats of termination

AKCoverMan

You or paid by the hour
Yes I’ve but at some point it’s just silly… I have “driveways” that are a football field to a mile or more in length. The “driveway” is a dirt road no different than the named dirt road I’m turning off of. I’m not parking on the no-shoulder named dirt road to hike the unnamed dirt road “driveway”. i have a perfectly good motorized vehicle. “Use Existing Equipment”.

Everything is a judgement call… in many rural situations driving up to the house is both more practical and less risk of crash or injury.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I hit 1 dog during my career. Had a great center mgr, and the owner was more upset about me being upset, than his pet. My manager at that time told me the owner called back twice asking if I was Ok. Lucy was a loved rottweiler. Got out the door and ran across the street to her Grammas. I braked but it was icy, and dark but I was watching yard lines and saw her coming. She went in front of my rear wheels, it was terrible. I laid on the horn, and got out and covered her with my coat, until the owners came out. Didnt sleep well for weeks.

The one I got charged with, I did not hit. The OMS told me telematics showed I was going 2.3 mph, as the road was a dead end with lots of kids, and terribly bumpy. The owner said he saw me hit it. They could not prove I hit it. videoed the underneath of my truck, checked my tires. But I couldnt prove I did not hit it. Just the opposite of a courtroom. Charged me with it, circle of honor 4 months away. They can do whatever they want. I fought it, Did no good. Made an example of me in front of all my peers. And made me continue to deliver to the house until the man came at me with hedge trimmers, then I refused. Soon after I left the company. Lost alot of sleep over that too.. At my hearing I told them I would sooner wrap your truck around a pole than kill someones pet. Asked to have it removed and called an incident not an accident, but they would not. If i had the union guys from here, I would have won, but my reps were not stellar.

I think the moral is if they want you gone, they will find a way. Through false charges, harrassment, whatever it takes.