Terrorism on American Soil - Texas Massacre in the House of God

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Texas Church Shooting Leaves More Than 20 Dead, Official Says

A month after Las Vegas, more than 20 people were killed after a gunman walked into a church in a rural community about 30 miles east of San Antonio and opened fire on Sunday, an official said.

The official, Paul W. Pfeil, a Wilson County, Tex., commissioner, said he did not have a total count of the number of dead in the shooting, which occurred at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, but he said it was “more than 20.”

Albert Gamez Jr., another Wilson County commissioner, told CNN that he was told by the police that the gunman was chased into the next county and was killed, but it was not clear whether the police shot him or he killed himself.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Terrorism may have a legal definition, but the word is also used subjectively. Did the people in the church feel terrorized? I'd bet they did, so you can call it terrorism if you want. But "The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as 'the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives'"
Without knowing the motives of the gunman, it's hard to say whether this meets the definition. Although the definition seems vague enough that almost any action could be considered terrorism. This incident certainly falls under the category of mass shooting. And I believe mass shootings would be much fewer and further between if we eliminated gun free zones. Not that the church was necessarily a gun free zone, but it might have been a target because the likelihood that the congregation would be unarmed.