Thank you Mr President for Gas Prices

floridays

But the reason we like cars is because once you get to downtown then what? There's just more flexibility with a car. Although I admit driving in Chicago truly sucks.
Anything in Chicago sucks besides being in Comiskey Park or Wrigley Field. :lol:
Actually I like Chicago, at least I did when I was last there, just being a Butkus.

oldngray

nowhere special
But the reason we like cars is because once you get to downtown then what? There's just more flexibility with a car. Although I admit driving in Chicago truly sucks.
Some cities the parking is too bad downtown to try to use a car. Park and ride from the edge of town. But you do need a car outside the city.

vantexan

Some cities the parking is too bad downtown to try to use a car. Park and ride from the edge of town. But you do need a car outside the city.
I was in Seattle in '90-'91. They had a huge bus system with park and ride lots in the suburbs. Could go anywhere by bus if you're patient enough.

vantexan

But we can't even do trains well in areas with dense populations.

The rest of the first world can but we can't.
My experience in Europe was that if people could afford a vehicle of any sort, even scooters, then they preferred their own vehicle. Public transportation as a whole is much more extensive than the U.S., but then almost 500 million people in an area smaller than the lower 48 states lends itself to public transportation. The only area of the U.S. with similar population in a condensed area is the Northeast.

floridays

oldngray

nowhere special
You are a kid, trains were big long ago.
How do you think Major League players traveled back in the day.

I don't like to use them as a source but it's the easiest consolidation I could find.
Search it to your hearts delight, be sure and report back if your sack has any nuts.

Trains are great for freight. Not as much for passengers except from point A to point B in limited areas.

floridays

Trains are great for freight. Not as much for passengers except from point A to point B in limited areas.
Exactly, I think we figured that out long ago but these go back to windmill kids can't seem to figure it out.
You ever have a son that messed up you tools?
Litle fella had great intentions, greater heart and left you with a mess to clean up.
Those were the inexpensive clean ups. The only thing I'd trade my boys for is that 1952 Mantle card that just sold for about 12.6 million, I'd throw in my ex-wife as the player to be named as well. Just joking, I'd throw the dog in as well.

newolddude

And we can't even manage limited areas.
-can't do SF>LA>SD with Vegas spur
-can't do Chicago as a hub with high speed rail to the Twin Cities, St. Louis/KC, Indy/Nashville and Detroit
- can't do DC to Boston high speed. The best we can do in this stretch is 140mph in a short 40 mile segment

floridays

And we can't even manage limited areas.
-can't do SF>LA>SD with Vegas spur
-can't do Chicago as a hub with high speed rail to the Twin Cities, St. Louis/KC, Indy/Nashville and Detroit
- can't do DC to Boston high speed. The best we can do in this stretch is 140mph in a short 40 mile segment
Are you going to be a :censored2: for your entire life.
I'm anticipating dumdass will be censored, if so replace censored with :poop: for brains.

newolddude

Are you going to be a :censored2: for your entire life.
I'm anticipating dumdass will be censored, if so replace censored with :poop: for brains.
Nobody is forcing you out of your car.
Of the 8 largest land mass countries in the world (USA is 4th), only 2 utilize trains as the primary mode of transportation: Russia and China.

Are you from either of those countries?
Show me where I said trains should be America's primary mode/everyone should be forced on to trains. I just think we should be able to improve our infrastructure enough to build up rail in three main population cores.