Thanks Andy M, you pulled it off!

island1fox

Re: Thanks Andy M, you pulled it off!

Its amazing how people will write something like this without the first clue about the LTL business. What exactly do you think is happening to freight vs what already happened to freight with the passage of NAFTA?

NAFTA destroyed our LTL community in this country. As long as Mexican trucks and Canadian trucks can cross our borders and go to final destinations, our trucking industry will NEVER recover.

When George H. Bush Signed the NAFTA agreement, he knew the republicans in congress wrote the law to destroy the labor unions in the trucking industry. Well, mission accomplished.

Now those foreign trucks roll around america bringing you products that american trucking companies used to handle.

As for profit. UPS just doubled its third quarter profits year over year and it will double it again once it sheds us from their healthcare plans.

Maybe you should concern yourself with the american worker before you worry about the Board members.

TOS

TOS,

Check that Presidential signature again. Bush is not spelled BILL CLINTON !!!

I would guess the facts you use in your world ---Bush also signed OBAMACARE into Law ?????:happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

TOS,

Check that Presidential signature again. Bush is not spelled BILL CLINTON !!!

I would guess the facts you use in your world ---Bush also signed OBAMACARE into Law ?????:happy-very:
I made a separate thread in Current Events, so TOS can revise history within the correct forum topic. (20th anniversary)

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

TOS,

Check that Presidential signature again. Bush is not spelled BILL CLINTON
!!!

Well well, I guess its time to do you another favor. Ya know, my parents taught me to always help an older person cross the street. I think we may be at that very crosswalk Island.

First, lets start with the presidential signature you tout. How about some facts for a change ?

George H.W. Bush signed the NAFTA agreement with Carlos Salinas of Mexico and Brian Mulroney of Canada>

When Was NAFTA Started?:
NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992. It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later. NAFTA was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on December 8, 1993 and entered force January 1, 1994.

So, in reality Island, President BUSH signed the NAFTA agreement after its creation as one of the last things he did while in office. He had already been SMOKED in the election losing to Bill Clinton, but unfortunately for Clinton, the GOP won both houses of congress at the same time.

BUSH made the deal knowing that it would pass in the next congress and senate because the GOP had OVERRIDE power in numbers. Bill Clinton could have vetoed the NAFTA bill, but he would have been overriden and embarrassed. Instead, he negotiated some concessions to the bill, with ONE giant concession being the PREVENTION of foreign trucks on our roads.

Because of that , our LTL industry boomed for 8 years. In 2001, when jr Bush took over, the stoppage of trucks was lifted and almost every single LTL carrier was destroyed in 8 years of Jr BUSH. In 2008, the dems in congress stopped the trucks again until 2010 when the GOP took control of congress and they negotiated with Obama to open the borders once again.

Dec. 17, 1992: Pres. Bush Signs NAFTA | Video - ABC News

I wouldnt expect you to understand history, as you continue to be spoon fed a healthy diet of misinformation on a daily basis. If you watched the video, peter jennings states that Clinton supported the agreement but wanted BETTER PROTECTIONS FOR AMERICAN WORKERS...

NAFTA, a creation by the republicans during the Reagan presidency, was unable to pass because the democrats held both houses under Reagan and under Bush sr, however, with the GOP taking both houses prior to Clinton taking office, BUSH sr simply signed the NAFTA agreement before it passed congress.

A slick move by the most devasting political party to hurt the american workers.

Since its passage, thousands of good paying jobs fled to mexico to take advantage of slave labor rates and unemploying hard working americans putting them onto the payroll of the us government through welfare, food stamps, unemployment and disability.

You complain now, but YOU played a part in bringing this country to its knees.

Congrats Island, you have it all figured out.

Maybe someday, you'll realize the crap you hear on FOX news isnt news at all, or that Limbaugh is simply polluting your brain.

TOS.

Last edited:

island1fox

TOS,

Thank you for another Negative rep --you react just like a little child.:happy-very:

You can spin your little story any way you care to .

Bottom line President William Jefferson Clinton signed NAFTA as the law of the land --he did not veto it --HE SIGNED IT INTO LAW !!!!

All the rest is B.S. --You can try to protect Hillary --but you cannot change the bottom line fact ----It is U.S. law by Clinton's signature:sick:

Anyone who cares about the truth can easily read the very long Bill Clinton speech on December 8th 1993 when he praises everyone on earth including Al Gore and Bill Daley and crows about his crowning achievement---but of course -in your world --it is bushes fault ---you listen to Obama way too much !!!

President William Jefferson Nafta Clinton !!!

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

TOS,

Thank you for another Negative rep --you react just like a little child.:happy-very:

You can spin your little story any way you care to .

Bottom line President William Jefferson Clinton signed NAFTA as the law of the land --he did not veto it --HE SIGNED IT INTO LAW !!!!

All the rest is B.S. --You can try to protect Hillary --but you cannot change the bottom line fact ----It is U.S. law by Clinton's signature:sick:

President William Jefferson Nafta Clinton !!!

You my friend should avoid conversations on history. They dont suit your knowledge base.

The spin is on you Island. You attempt to take one slice of the story and make it a headline leaving out the facts of the story. I gave you the complete history and the rational behind it.

This isnt FOX news bro where you can make up anything you want and pass it off as truth.

This is a tougher crowd bro.

TOS

Inthegame

How about some facts for a change ?

George H.W. Bush signed the NAFTA agreement with Carlos Salinas of Mexico and Brian Mulroney of Canada>

When Was NAFTA Started?:
NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992. It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later. NAFTA was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on December 8, 1993 and entered force January 1, 1994.

So, in reality Island, President BUSH signed the NAFTA agreement after its creation as one of the last things he did while in office. He had already been SMOKED in the election losing to Bill Clinton, but unfortunately for Clinton, the GOP won both houses of congress at the same time.

BUSH made the deal knowing that it would pass in the next congress and senate because the GOP had OVERRIDE power in numbers. Bill Clinton could have vetoed the NAFTA bill, but he would have been overriden and embarrassed. NAFTA, a creation by the republicans during the Reagan presidency, was unable to pass because the democrats held both houses under Reagan and under Bush sr, however, with the GOP taking both houses prior to Clinton taking office, BUSH sr simply signed the NAFTA agreement before it passed congress.

A slick move by the most devasting political party to hurt the american workers.

TOS.
While I agree with your sentiment regarding Republicans, you might want to check your timetable. Republicans did not have overide powers at the time you state. The Democrats held the Senate 57-43 and the House 258-176 in '93-'94. The GOP won control of both houses (in the mid terms) for the next Congress because Bill Clinton didn't stop NAFTA. Republicans in both houses voted in majority numbers for NAFTA but enough Dems were needed to ratify. This was a bi-partisan fiasco.

island1fox

You my friend should avoid conversations on history. They dont suit your knowledge base.

The spin is on you Island. You attempt to take one slice of the story and make it a headline leaving out the facts of the story. I gave you the complete history and the rational behind it.

This isnt FOX news bro where you can make up anything you want and pass it off as truth.

This is a tougher crowd bro.

TOS

TOS,

There are many people laughing at you .
You CANNOT make up your own Facts.

Clinton when he signed NAFTA had a DEMOCRAT HOUSE AND SENATE.

Please --for your sake --think and research before you post.

How about the truth ---the November 94 election gave the power back to the republicans. So much for your detailed story---all phony and false !!!

In THE ELECTION OF 1992 --the DEMS lost a few seats but maintained the MAJORITY in both the house and Senate !!!! Your whole story is made up and untrue !!!

A Democrat President with a Democrat Senate and House ---put NAFTA IN PLACE ---you story about Clinton fearing an overturn of a veto from a Republican Congress is Simply your made up FANTASY!!!

You accuse everyone of watching Fox ??? You should watch something --you may actually be able to state the truth !!!:happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

TOS,

There are many people laughing at you .
You CANNOT make up your own Facts.

Clinton when he signed NAFTA had a DEMOCRAT HOUSE AND SENATE.

Please --for your sake --think and research before you post.

How about the truth ---the November 94 election gave the power back to the republicans. So much for your detailed story---all phony and false !!!

In THE ELECTION OF 1992 --the DEMS lost a few seats but maintained the MAJORITY in both the house and Senate !!!! Your whole story is made up and untrue !!!

A Democrat President with a Democrat Senate and House ---put NAFTA IN PLACE ---you story about Clinton fearing an overturn of a veto from a Republican Congress is Simply your made up FANTASY!!!

You accuse everyone of watching Fox ??? You should watch something --you may actually be able to state the truth !!!:happy-very:

I just shook my head when TOS posted that.

He usually has a kernel of truth but on this one, he is just totally out in left field with made up stuff.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

While I agree with your sentiment regarding Republicans, you might want to check your timetable. Republicans did not have overide powers at the time you state. The Democrats held the Senate 57-43 and the House 258-176 in '93-'94. The GOP won control of both houses (in the mid terms) for the next Congress because Bill Clinton didn't stop NAFTA. Republicans in both houses voted in majority numbers for NAFTA but enough Dems were needed to ratify. This was a bi-partisan fiasco.
It was a little deeper than that...for one, the middle-class abandoned Clinton when he promised tax cuts that were impossible; he and his staff gave up on.

In defense of TOS, he/she was correct in saying that it was the Reagan years and admin. that initially championed NAFTA. From what I read it was around 1986.

And for the record, the Republican Party/GOP is just awful.

island1fox

It was a little deeper than that...for one, the middle-class abandoned Clinton when he promised tax cuts that were impossible; he and his staff gave up on.

In defense of TOS, he/she was correct in saying that it was the Reagan years and admin. that initially championed NAFTA. From what I read it was around 1986.

And for the record, the Republican Party/GOP is just awful.

sleeve,

I realize that we have a very active current events forum --so I will keep this short.:wink2:

For the record--many people believe that stopping a heart beat is dead wrong --over 50 million dead and counting ---many people believe that Liberal welfare policies have created a dependant class and have decimated the family unit---many people believe in the right to be with whom you chose but the sanctity of Marriage and procreation is a man and a woman---many people believe that the government cannot run anything right and will destroy our Healthcare --you can keep your own plan ---yeah right !!! Many people believe that the growing welfare state and lack of growth will devastate all working people in the near future --Harry already crying for higher taxes --Obamacare will need to be fed by the working class!! While Companies turn part -time and reduce staffing .

That is many of the reasons that we have two parties--many times I have hoped for a strong third party ---that truly cares about the middle class working man .
Was it possible that Hoffa Sr had a relationship with the Repubs ??

I am finished here --bottom line --Left or Right ---Dem or Repub ---We the people --BC or anywhere --have to challenge the dishonest and spinners in our midst that have their own agenda's !!!:happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

sleeve,

I realize that we have a very active current events forum --so I will keep this short.:wink2:

For the record--many people believe that stopping a heart beat is dead wrong --over 50 million dead and counting ---many people believe that Liberal welfare policies have created a dependant class and have decimated the family unit---many people believe in the right to be with whom you chose but the sanctity of Marriage and procreation is a man and a woman---many people believe that the government cannot run anything right and will destroy our Healthcare --you can keep your own plan ---yeah right !!! Many people believe that the growing welfare state and lack of growth will devastate all working people in the near future --Harry already crying for higher taxes --Obamacare will need to be fed by the working class!! While Companies turn part -time and reduce staffing .

That is many of the reasons that we have two parties--many times I have hoped for a strong third party ---that truly cares about the middle class working man .
Was it possible that Hoffa Sr had a relationship with the Repubs ??

I am finished here --bottom line --Left or Right ---Dem or Repub ---We the people --BC or anywhere --have to challenge the dishonest and spinners in our midst that have their own agenda's !!!:happy-very:
The two-party system and resulting partisan paradigm, along with finite resources with infinite growth - will eventually catch up to us.
From what I remember, Hoffa Sr. and the Teamsters, overall leaned Republican decades ago in response to the anti-communist rhetoric and PR of the day.
And look what it earned the working and middle class - for ex:, garbage law amendment such as Taft-Hartley.

So in short, TOS is strongly misguided on this issue much the same as workers were misguided falling into the anti-worker rhetoric of the day, WWII onward.

BrownBrokeDown

We have needed a 3rd moderate party since before i was born. The problem is in the last 30 years, the independents either dont have the money to get their name out there (how sad is that, being elected to the national government depends on your wealth and your connections to get wealth), or have had wild ideas that didnt even sound like they would work. If Perot had been elected maybe their would be an established 3rd party now, but i dont see it ever happening. btw, i am not saying Perot should have been elected or that I liked Perot, just saying it would have opened the door for a 3rd party.

Inthegame

From what I remember, Hoffa Sr. and the Teamsters, overall leaned Republican decades ago in response to the anti-communist rhetoric and PR of the day.
And look what it earned the working and middle class - for ex:, garbage law amendment such as Taft-Hartley.
I think the animus between the Kennedys and Hoffa was part reason for the support of Republicans but Hoffa Sr was a Republican when Republicans actually had the good sense to at least tolerate labor.
TOS is still trying to figure out why the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Everyone_has_a_Price

104 feeder "The ACA, in my opinion, is the first significant step towards reigning in healthcare costs."

You lost all credibility pumping up ACA. Worst piece of garbage ever written!!!

Inthegame

104 feeder "The ACA, in my opinion, is the first significant step towards reigning in healthcare costs."

You lost all credibility pumping up ACA. Worst piece of garbage ever written!!!
104 Feeder is in the upper echelon of posters with knowledge and credibility. You, on the other hand, are still looking up "echelon".

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
There's been countless accounts of betrayal of labor on both sides of the aisle in the US. Democrats helped (in part) pass the Taft-Hartley Act in 1947 and although Truman vetoed it, he was the first president to invoke its powers by threatening to draft striking railroad workers into the US Army. The Landrum-Griffin-Kennedy Bill (which barred convicted felons and "Communists" from being labor union officials) was the impetus behind the creation of the DRIVE fund. Robert Kennedy -- always hailed as a progressive champion -- spent the vast resources of the Department of Justice as Attorney General on his "Get Hoffa" campaign, eventually managing to strike a deal with a crooked business agent in Louisiana to testify against Hoffa in exchange for immunity on murder charges.

Hoffa refused to endorse either Nixon or Kennedy in the 1960 presidential election as he viewed both candidates as terrible for labor. He eventually got behind LBJ and wrote that the Teamsters had a moral imperative to support the Great Society programs pushed by the LBJ Administration (Medicare/Medicaid, Head Start, the Civil Rights Act). Fitzsimmons gave Nixon the IBT's endorsement in 1972 (partially) in exchange for Hoffa's early release and it's all been downhill from there.