The 3 day OJS- Violation?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I went from scratch to an hour +over every day. I know it doesnt "matter" but to some it appears this is how they judge our worth. You also look like a slug, on the OR to those who look. It is magic, because it took away my ability to complete a job in a timely manner. With them constantly telling me that they only give me 8 hrs work, but it takes me 10. But I dont care anymore, as there is nothing I can do to fix it.

The funny thing is.... an hour over.... is the "new" scratch.

A lot of drivers read the OP'S (Operational Reports) every day.

They used to be accurate.... based on a actual (physical) time study of the route.

The "real" reason they are available to see.... is to ascertain, your hours worked.

The company just adds' in.... all the other BS on the same page.

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's funny how the "numbers" can be manipulated.

(Not that they mean anything)

I have been "assured" that only IE.... can change these.

Maybe some management person (retired or not), could confirm or expound on this.

Hoax.... you're in the batting order. :biggrin:

-Bug-
Sounds like the new GPS based time study changed the allowances. It happens and I'm sure it happens in the other direction as well.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Sounds like the new GPS based time study changed the allowances. It happens and I'm sure it happens in the other direction as well.

From what I have seen....

And the company has confirmed....

The GPS is only accurate.... within 200 yards.

That is a huge discretion, in the operational planning of routes.

Virtual OJS....

Just a excuse, for being lazy.

Or.... an elimination of more management jobs.

You decide.

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From what I have seen....

And the company has confirmed....

The GPS is only accurate.... within 200 yards.

That is a huge discretion, in the operational planning of routes.

Virtual OJS....

Just a excuse, for being lazy.

Or.... an elimination of more management jobs.

You decide.

-Bug-
No doubt,
elimination of more management jobs.

scisector9

Not sure if it was across the board at ups but they adjusted our time allowances based on supposed" real time data" gathered from telematics.

The just of it is that they take your average speed based on your miles and stops during that time. So basically a guy that made up time on the road by driving 40 in a 25 resi neighborhood would essentially not be making up time. Most routes lost 25-30 minutes allowance. anyone else have this at their building? We are a bonus center for what its worth.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rainman

Its all good.
Not sure if it was across the board at ups but they adjusted our time allowances based on supposed" real time data" gathered from telematics.

The just of it is that they take your average speed based on your miles and stops during that time. So basically a guy that made up time on the road by driving 40 in a 25 resi neighborhood would essentially not be making up time. Most routes lost 25-30 minutes allowance. anyone else have this at their building? We are a bonus center for what its worth.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Sounds like a virtual time study.When they do those they assume you park directly on front of your delivery point. Anyone who has to handcart the packages for any distance at all loses time because you get absolutely no credit for the long walks like you do with a normal time study.

browniehound

In 15 years I've never seen a driver fired for production. So, I'm guessing they can't fire you or they won't fire you for production.

So this begs the question:"why even bother with the 3 day ride if you have no authority to terminate an employee because he didn't meet the standard he proved in front of you?"

Of course any person is going to do the route faster with a manager on car with you. But that's not the real world. We are not robots and talking with customers is vital so we don't look like one. But, on the 3-day ride customer contact is limited to "Hi, how are you? Sign here".

We all know this is not reality and not possible to sustain without one of our large customers picking up the phone and saying "If you don't get this rude, non-talking MF of this route I'm switching to Fed-Ex"

In 15 years I've never seen a driver fired for production. So, I'm guessing they can't fire you or they won't fire you for production.

So this begs the question:"why even bother with the 3 day ride if you have no authority to terminate an employee because he didn't meet the standard he proved in front of you?"

Of course any person is going to do the route faster with a manager on car with you. But that's not the real world. We are not robots and talking with customers is vital so we don't look like one. But, on the 3-day ride customer contact is limited to "Hi, how are you? Sign here".

We all know this is not reality and not possible to sustain without one of our large customers picking up the phone and saying "If you don't get this rude, non-talking MF of this route I'm switching to Fed-Ex"
They do it because the average driver will get scared and pick up the pace. Maybe 80 out of 100.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is possible to interact with customers and deliver at the same time. It only becomes an issue when the interaction continues after the delivery is done.

scoutlover

So how are we so different? Here they give you a 3 day ride and that locks you into a SPORH. Don't meet that SPORH, and they discipline you. We have a couple of drivers on "working termination" (whatever the hell that is) right now after going through that process.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So how are we so different? Here they give you a 3 day ride and that locks you into a SPORH. Don't meet that SPORH, and they discipline you. We have a couple of drivers on "working termination" (whatever the hell that is) right now after going through that process.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Since things change all the time, I would like to know where the union is on this one? Perhaps the union should buckle down and put some runner gunners on "working termination" of union cards for a starter. Check the records daily. Make sure everyone is taking a full lunch and none of this "later in the day" crap because I have pickups BS. Have the whole center take 20 min break in the am too. Have late airs! The union guys talk tough but I never see a push from our side?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since things change all the time, I would like to know where the union is on this one? Perhaps the union should buckle down and put some runner gunners on "working termination" of union cards for a starter. Check the records daily. Make sure everyone is taking a full lunch and none of this "later in the day" crap because I have pickups BS. Have the whole center take 20 min break in the am too. Have late airs! The union guys talk tough but I never see a push from our side?
You realize that would double your dues don't you?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

If your Local is allowing that.... you need to elect some new officials.

You can't be "locked" in to a SPORH. That would be a "production" standard.

Any driver in your Local being subjected to that, should file a grievance.

If your Local doesn't pursue it.... take up the matter with the NLRB.

I normally wouldn't suggest that.... but that is letting the company run over employee's.

Clear violation of Article 37.

The only purpose of a 3-day ride, is to observe the drivers methods.

And then.... it is only a subjective opinion of the observer.

Company cases like that.... are easy to shoot down.

-Bug-

scoutlover

If your Local is allowing that.... you need to elect some new officials.

You can't be "locked" in to a SPORH. That would be a "production" standard.

Any driver in your Local being subjected to that, should file a grievance.

If your Local doesn't pursue it.... take up the matter with the NLRB.

I normally wouldn't suggest that.... but that is letting the company run over employee's.

Clear violation of Article 37.

The only purpose of a 3-day ride, is to observe the drivers methods.

And then.... it is only a subjective opinion of the observer.

Company cases like that.... are easy to shoot down.

-Bug-

So there is hope?? It has gotten pretty bad around here. Several drivers are switching routes to ones with better time allowances to get out of whatever trouble they are in on there current route.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Sent using BrownCafe App
We had the same thing happen with a driver in my center, ridden with numerous times to "lock in his SPOHR" then given progressive discipline for failing to meet that number up to and including article 7 (working termination). The center team was very meticulous about documenting everything and making sure all their ducks were in row before they took him upstairs for the real termination hearing. It all got thrown out. They can't fire you for production, all they can do is try to scare you.

rod

Retired 22 years
Remember when the pc didn't even have a jumpseat and the passenger had to stand in the wheel well?

Very Well!

I remember being so PO'ed at my center manager that I purposely tried to toss him out the door by taking a corner a too fast but unfortunately he was holding on too tight.

browniehound

Sent using BrownCafe App
To me "working termination" means they can't/won't discipline you for production. Seriously, unless you're grossly negligent in the job you do everyday, what are they going to do? Fire you and hire another person that's going to be 2 hours paid over?

Its certainly not rocket science, but we are the cream of the crop. I'd say 2 out of 10 people from inside can make it as drivers. To prove my point, just look at the casuals and how they baby them. 5.5 hours of work and management is happy if they don't have to bail them out.