The Economy is booming, Unemployment is almost at record lows.......

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a 55 year old guy as a helper one year. Best helper I ever had. He was an executive with SP railroad. Lived in the same subdivision as our division manager. Took vacation the entire month of December and used his money to pay for Christmas gifts. One helper that year refused to work because it was raining. Another didn't come back to the PC, and I had to go find her. She was cowering on a porch because a yorkie was barking at her.

9.5er

Those time sheets they give us are a joke. Helpers are guaranteed 3 hours here. Management seems to always need to be reminded and some of our drivers don’t have the backbone to do it.

barnyard

KTM rider
So what kind of people will be applying for Helper Positions this peak?

We will see the same as last year. HS graduates that are still living in their parents basement, that want 8 hours of pay, but are exhausted after 2 hours. Housewives that are awesome and are helpers for a year or 2 and then decide they want to do something else. Farmers that are done for the season, but need the extra dough (personally, my fave. Farmers work their tails off and always say, "This was really easy, when is the hard work.") Constructions guys that are laid off. They are always bummed that they cannot get paid cash, so their unemployment benefits take a hit. The ice is not thick enough yet, so they cannot ice fish, so being a UPS helper is fine.

That covers the pool of my helpers.

Tony Q

So what kind of people will be applying for Helper Positions this peak? I'm thinking it will be a disaster .Who wants to work in the cold,the rain,the snow for peanuts?? I remember back in the day we'd get College Kids home on Christmas Break that wanted extra money but those days are LONG GONE and they ain't coming back.We live in Interesting Times
I know in the eastern region where the pay is only 9.50 an hour they will have issues attracting people, but other regions actually pay 15 an hour and if this contract ratifies they will make over 16 in some areas.

Tony Q

I also predict a little bit better peak this year if this contract is voted down on October 5th. The amount of customers diverting plume and signing contracts with other carriers will definitely help you have a better peak.

dudebro

Those time sheets they give us are a joke. Helpers are guaranteed 3 hours here. Management seems to always need to be reminded and some of our drivers don’t have the backbone to do it.

That's why a good helper coordinator reaches out (or even goes and finds) the driver to get the helper off, and not put the onus on the driver.

If we're going to "sit in the air conditioned or heated office", then the management tasks fall to the mangement team. I never put it on my drivers to tell the helper he or she was finished. I would do that myself.

I also wouldn't work helpers <3 hours either, generally that's just abuse and they wouldn't come back when you needed them on Dec 22-23. If I had 2 - 2 hr areas I'd put one helper on both drivers and arrange for whatever peak help we had to shuttle the helper from one driver to the other.

Heavy Package

That covers the pool of my helpers.

Here's my list...

1. Homeless people that need to apply somewhere to maintain benefits then are shocked when UPS hires them

2. Old (I mean OLD!) people that need money so bad to pay for their screwed up situations

3. Druggie losers

4. Ugly stay at home moms

5. After Dec 15th, college kids, who with today's Millennial generation can be worse than #1-4

There's my list....

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I know in the eastern region where the pay is only 9.50 an hour they will have issues attracting people, but other regions actually pay 15 an hour and if this contract ratifies they will make over 16 in some areas.
I have a friend that makes $19 working at subway for 2 years.
$16 base plus $3 in raises

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I also predict a little bit better peak this year if this contract is voted down on October 5th. The amount of customers diverting plume and signing contracts with other carriers will definitely help you have a better peak.
stop being a :censored2:ing barny

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Does he work the allotted 1.57 hours or does Subway actually schedule him during a normal shift?
LOL I do not know that one, probably 4-5 hours I guess, it's straight in the middle of the city though so work there is probably not as easy as your usual shop.

I will also mention that they might be in some sort of management position. And he might also have been lying about how much he makes.

watdaflock?

So what kind of people will be applying for Helper Positions this peak? I'm thinking it will be a disaster .Who wants to work in the cold,the rain,the snow for peanuts?? I remember back in the day we'd get College Kids home on Christmas Break that wanted extra money but those days are LONG GONE and they ain't coming back.We live in Interesting Times
The exact same kind of people will apply for helper positions, as years past. Lazy dumb people won't apply, especially if they have bone spurs.

Lazy entitled rich kids, who were given everything from inheritance, become POTUS.
image.jpg

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Last year they did not let me do helper except 2 days. I had 2-3 months of seniority at the time but that should have been enough considering the turnover rate + how few have signed up provided that working inside is more profitable.

It seems they try to exhaust the outside hire list first before resorting to us, which is the opposite of what a union job should do.