The Economy is booming, Unemployment is almost at record lows.......

CoolStoryBro

So what kind of people will be applying for Helper Positions this peak? I'm thinking it will be a disaster .Who wants to work in the cold,the rain,the snow for peanuts?? I remember back in the day we'd get College Kids home on Christmas Break that wanted extra money but those days are LONG GONE and they ain't coming back.We live in Interesting Times

Same as I usually see. College students. People who have just moved to the area. Housewives who want some extra money to buy their kids gifts. And preloaders who are desperate for overtime.

No difference here.

They did the same thing here.

Same here. They drive the job van or whatever loaded with bagged lunches for people who fill out applications. They still never manage to hire anybody.

We will get an occasional one shift wonder who needs the locker room for :censored2:/shave/"shower" but they never stay. There's more incentive to stay on state programs. Union insurance is a downgrade from state insurance here, and our teamster insurance is pretty awesome.

Same here. They drive the job van or whatever loaded with bagged lunches for people who fill out applications. They still never manage to hire anybody.

We will get an occasional one shift wonder who needs the locker room for :censored2:/shave/"shower" but they never stay. There's more incentive to stay on state programs. Union insurance is a downgrade from state insurance here, and our teamster insurance is pretty awesome.
It's pretty sad that they don't pay enough money to get seasonal help.

It makes me sick tbh.

You get free dental with no limit, free doctors no limit, free prescriptions no limit no copays, there's enough food shelves to wander around and hit them up once a month and still have a backpack full of food at all times. The state even gives gas or bus vouchers and people donate bicycles which is more than enough to get around on.

Why would anyone wanna give that away for 10.50/hr in unload? Get yelled at all day or relax for free drugged up in a national park with free food clothes and transport. Local workout centers or 7/month gym membership offer full facilities.

Then you get immigrants who wanna work but ICE sweeps through and kicks them all out. Boggles my mind.

You know, it's not even that. Amazon and FedEx start at 15.50 here and are always hiring. People looking for a quick job aren't going to care about the union. If they need to pass drug and criminal, why settle for $5/hr less?

Nobody wants this job unless they are making UPS part of their future; whether it be retirement or career or whatever.

PT Car Washer

You know, it's not even that. Amazon and FedEx start at 15.50 here and are always hiring. People looking for a quick job aren't going to care about the union. If they need to pass drug and criminal, why settle for $5/hr less?

Nobody wants this job unless they are making UPS part of their future; whether it be retirement or career or whatever.
I remember when working at UPS PT was a coveted position. PT job with FT wages and benefits. It's terrible what the Union and the company has done to the job.

Drink Craft Beer

And this is the #1 reason why we cannot retain helpers. Arbitrary limits on helper time and worrying about silly metrics causes them to quit. If they have a car, 2.99 hours of pay isnt worth the gas money. If they ride the bus, it isnt worth the extra time and bus fare. If you want to keep qualified helpers, treat them with respect and let them work.
Respect the helpers???? They can't even friend*ing respect those who've been there 10+yrs, so they sure as hell aren't going to start now by showing it to seasonals.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know in the eastern region where the pay is only 9.50 an hour they will have issues attracting people, but other regions actually pay 15 an hour and if this contract ratifies they will make over 16 in some areas.
Yeah it's $15 here. In a rural area where that's not terrible money.

Still get crap for helpers. Had a 60 year old felon who had been out 3 months a few years back.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That's why a good helper coordinator reaches out (or even goes and finds) the driver to get the helper off, and not put the onus on the driver.

If we're going to "sit in the air conditioned or heated office", then the management tasks fall to the mangement team. I never put it on my drivers to tell the helper he or she was finished. I would do that myself.

I also wouldn't work helpers <3 hours either, generally that's just abuse and they wouldn't come back when you needed them on Dec 22-23. If I had 2 - 2 hr areas I'd put one helper on both drivers and arrange for whatever peak help we had to shuttle the helper from one driver to the other.
I respect your attitude but please explain something to me.
Forced ORION compliance already wastes time and makes a difficult job even harder in the real world. How do you expect these two drivers to factor in the additional variable of coordinating a meet time and place to pick up, drop off, and exchange the helper...as well as “saving” delivery areas in which the helper can be effectively used until such time as they have him on car...when they are chained to an already unworkable ORION solution?

jaker

trolling
First week they always try and make us cut them after 2 hours. Usually I'll keep them longer but most of the drivers cut them loose. They are afraid of a talking to. After the first week I keep them till my route is done. Don't care what my helper time card says.
This is why I love my route at Christmas , the moment I got a helper I would use them 8 hours and my numbers would look ok on my sups report that he didn't get yelled about me doing that

BrownArmy

I know in the eastern region where the pay is only 9.50 an hour they will have issues attracting people, but other regions actually pay 15 an hour and if this contract ratifies they will make over 16 in some areas.

OMG, please stop, you’re embarrassing yourself.

BrownArmy

All the good helpers we get leave in a week. UPS demands we only get them a couple hours for the first 2 weeks and they just quit. They spend more on gas driving to me.

I just keep them all day, nary a peep.

Honestly, if you’re ‘allowed’ 1.99 hours for your helper or whatever, it’s a wash...the time spent picking them up and dropping them off negates the 1.99 hours they ‘help’ you.

Looks real good on paper...

AwashBwashCwash

Here's my list...

1. Homeless people that need to apply somewhere to maintain benefits then are shocked when UPS hires them

2. Old (I mean OLD!) people that need money so bad to pay for their screwed up situations

3. Druggie losers

4. Ugly stay at home moms

5. After Dec 15th, college kids, who with today's Millennial generation can be worse than #1-4

There's my list....

"hurr durr millennials"
Millennials are like in their 30s dude. There's a new generation that you can blame all your problems on.