The Fed is your friend?

Over70irregs

I mean, they created the mess we're in. And raising rates rates is the only real tool they have to fight inflation (though it would be nice if they stopped printing money too).

No, the Fed is not and never was our friend.
I heard if they stop printing 1$ the whole system dies. So when people say stop printing they really have no scope what that means. Sounds intriguing 🤔

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Nope. they throw "free" cash at the problem and the fed fights that by raising interest rates.
I wonder if any of the other 330 million Americans saw this as I did a couple years ago.
People love "free" money and don't care a friend about the consequences at the time.

Now they do....

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I feel there is not enough public articles about where we place monetary value and how it might be misplaced in relation to physical, consumable goods and personally impactful services. Inflation then is these items "catching up" to speculative money as opposed to letting the values drop.

Up In Smoke

I didn't have to submit anything to read the article.
Anyway, you do agree that Pandemic recovery aside, unemployment is much higher now than under the previous Administration, don't you? Cost of food/fuel/everything up....
We belong to the small business association in our area (250ish thousand residents) and the unemployment rate is currently 1.6%. Hundreds of small businesses have thousands of jobs listed and can't get people to even apply. We have raised starting wage, increased PTO, added paid lunch, paid attendance, paid community service hours, paid mental and physical hours. Just about anything we can think of and the story is the same, there are no people left. Our area covers three counties and we've talked with board members and they are servicing fewer residents than before 2020. It's like the earth just swallowed 5% of the residents. The Axios article wanted some personal info.

Up In Smoke

Read the Axios article. What the article is loosely referring to is the participation rate and not the unemployment rate. IMO. Yes, the participation rate is not as good as prepandemic. It measures all individuals 18-67 who are not full time students, incarcerated, institutionalized or unable to work. The great resignation can account for some of the shortage, but not all.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
So the earth swallowed a bunch of people up?
I guess the “data” you’re being fed or creating can’t be flawed….

You’re going with the earth swallowed them up???? OK…

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What will cause the system to crash is the decoupling of oil from the US$. The petrodollar is the only reason we can print so much money and go into so much debt. Russia, China, and India going in together on a new regional reserve currency is another threat, and probably why the media is starting to get the sheep warmed up to the idea of war with China.

Once the US goes full fiat (not linked to oil) our debt will likely sink us. And politicians will not be able to stop promising free stuff. It's the only tool they have.

Commercial Inside Release

The FED rate hike does more than stifle home, vehicle and other big ticket purchases and of course any borrowing money... It has an unadvertised aspect of forcing job cuts, which in turn forces a contraction of consumer spending (since unemployment puts people on a strict budget.) This in turn tightens the money supply, to cause inflation to go down. Sadly, it is the disposable workers that are financially ruined in the process. It had devastating effects during the Carter administration, and again in the early 80s.

This is why I've been tracking the job listings between these two rate hikes. They are the canary in the coal mine - the first to get cut. Job listings don't count (unless someone is hired,) and companies can cancel the listings without any bad publicity or anyone even noticing.

Job listings are important. There are probably 200,000 new workers entering the workforce every year. No job listings, and 200,000 have been disposed of, without ever even being on the books. Eventually, if things get worse, one by one they come for YOU!

Can't say it is actually happening yet, but it is important to keep an eye on it.

Over70irregs

If we don't get inflation raise then you know the economy is not doing too bad
Give me all those
What will cause the system to crash is the decoupling of oil from the US$. The petrodollar is the only reason we can print so much money and go into so much debt. Russia, China, and India going in together on a new regional reserve currency is another threat, and probably why the media is starting to get the sheep warmed up to the idea of war with China.

Once the US goes full fiat (not linked to oil) our debt will likely sink us. And politicians will not be able to stop promising free stuff. It's the only tool they have.
What I hear is that we lost so much ground internationally during last term that countries were determined not to be belittled or embarrassed for another. These old world countries operate different than the west. During our constant confusion they were laughing at us and doing game theory all along. These countries are not innocent but they are into saving face. We are being circumvented you can all see it but cannot stop it.