The Forecast Bulk Sheet Reads Like A Penthouse "I Can't Believe This Happened To Me" Letter

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well, it shouldn’t require much brain activity for the loader to know that shoving 15 boxes of copying paper in the 3000 section instead of the floor or RDR/RDL is a :censored2: idea.
It still sounds like you are blaming the symptoms of the problem. At the risk of sounding "Sober" ;p if you understand that often, preload sups are the ones printing charts. If it's early, they're putting out charts with only 50-75% of the work. If they are late, you have no charts, only uow. A lot of volume from other hubs may be scanned late, so those 15 cases of,Purina to the Vet are not "forecasted"

Last edited:

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
It still sounds like you are blaming the symptoms of the problem. At the risk of sounding "Sober" ;p if you understand that often, preload sups are the ones printing charts. If it's early, they're putting out charts with only 50-75% of the work. If they are late, you have no charts, only uow. A lot of volume from other hubs may be scanned late, so those 15 cases of,Purina to the Vet are not "forecasted"
He needs to get a grill on the 1000 shelf and his dump stop on the floor just like he wants

Overpaid Union Thug

If someone needs a chart to tell them not to put a 60lb bag of food on the top shelf, or to be verbally instructed not to, then they are seriously lacking in the common sense department. But that is likely a “symptom” of having their hands held for so long.

WTFm8

I ignore drivers who b#tch and moan about preloaders and load quality. It's usually the ones who weren't around pre-PAS/SPA. Back in the day, a preloader would have one assignment because no one else knew the load sequences, so you and the driver were able to get consistent work as well as load quality. Now it's a shell game with the work; different areas, add cuts, cut routes, and preloaders often moved around like chess pcs. Nevermind the scanners and other slow-downs that never existed.

If only the back was divided up into 8 shelving sections and 7 floor sections... with a shelf sequence number printed on a little label.

Putting stuff in order on the right shelf sure is hard. If only we acted like a union and organized/did the job correct in turn forcing the company to hire more people or at least hold some kind of quality standard.

Nah, they’re just happy if preload shows up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If someone needs a chart to tell them not to put a 60lb bag of food on the top shelf, or to be verbally instructed not to, then they are seriously lacking in the common sense department. But that is likely a “symptom” of having their hands held for so long.
1 of 1, 60 lb. purina dog food going to the 4k section, it's going on the middle shelf. As a preloader.

Then a half hour later at 6am, there are 9 more. As a driver, I knew when the several Animal Hospitals would be heavy but a preloader probably won't.

UPSER1987

If only the back was divided up into 8 shelving sections and 7 floor sections... with a shelf sequence number printed on a little label.

Putting stuff in order on the right shelf sure is hard. If only we acted like a union and organized/did the job correct in turn forcing the company to hire more people or at least hold some kind of quality standard.

Nah, they’re just happy if preload shows up.

You’re right on the money, but we have such a lazy work force that will never happen. It is the smallest minority of workers that have any pride and do the job correctly. The rest are cowards that hide begin the security of the union doing sub standard work.

Overpaid Union Thug

1 of 1, 60 lb. purina dog food going to the 4k section, it's going on the middle shelf. As a preloader.

Then a half hour later at 6am, there are 9 more. As a driver, I knew when the several Animal Hospitals would be heavy but a preloader probably won't.
I’ll take that in the 4000 section over the top shelf any day.

My last route had an animal clinic and received tween 10 and 40 pieces everyday and was a dock stop. It was supposed to be in RDR everyday but occasionally I’d come in and, despite having the same preloader, and the stop being on the load chart, it would all be stuffed up front somewhere depending on what the SPA said. A preloader that can catch those things are a godsend. And also a dying breed.

I’ll take that in the 4000 section over the top shelf any day.

My last route had an animal clinic and received tween 10 and 40 pieces everyday and was a dock stop. It was supposed to be in RDR everyday but occasionally I’d come in and, despite having the same preloader, and the stop being on the load chart, it would all be stuffed up front somewhere depending on what the SPA said. A preloader that can catch those things are a godsend. And also a dying breed.
Preload manager says to go by the SPA label. No custom loading. Now who is showing a lack of common sense.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Your preload manager. Only an idiot would knowingly allow preloaders to load an entire Rogue Fitness weight set and it’s equipment on the top shelf. And then give a PCM about safety and avoiding injuries.
It's the same here. I always custom load but it is frowned upon by management. I will always argue "best interest of the employer". They want everything in, no stacking, then drivers wonder why their day is a disaster. We cannot hold bulk pcs. or stops, everything goes in. Not nice when you have lazyboy recliners and full size Webers that can't fit under shelves or even rdr

Jstpeachy

The problem with some of you is is that you are missing a very important ingredient that helps determine whether or not you’re capable of good loads and proper placement of bulk stops. It’s called common sense. But it is hilarious that you mention mommy. Apparently some of you are still used to mommy, and daddy as well, holding your hands. Otherwise you would not have to depend on those load charts. Just sayin...

I’ve got one truck with 300+ pcs daily and usually 8-12 bulk stops- which dr office gets them each day changes as does which shelf is assigned 40 pcs etc. trucks with multiple greatly depend on load charts early on to ensure best load quality... imo. It’s not like the boxes all come each hin together...

To the OP sounds like they are printed too early with lots of add/cuts after or something to be having a 120 pc difference. We get ours 30-45 minutes in to the sort most days and it’s fairly close to accurate minus usually air counts.

Though dispatch doesn’t make much sense to me half the time. 8000 shelf can have 45 pcs but then the 5000 might have 10. Lately I’ve been seeing one 30 pc bulk stop hin to 2k shelf with nothing else yet I’d rather put that on the floor so idk.

TL:DR try and chat up the dispatcher, that’s what I did.

I got him to move several hins permanently by explaining the stop and the way driver delivers. (One business- drivers 1st stop- has multiple address formats- company name, company name c/o employee name, company name laboratory- each had different hin numbers ranging from 2000-8000 but all same address and same delivery door so I talked to dispatch and finally got them to combine the hin numbers and move all to RDL)

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
These are not the same as back in your day. These are daily charts showing projected volume for a particular route. Hard to memorize a new chart every day.
Preload manager says to go by the SPA label. No custom loading. Now who is showing a lack of common sense.
Both of these are basically the Mike and Ike of why preload is currently a disaster. Inconsistent labeling and the threat of management to follow these to a certain degree.
On a good day I will have the mental fortitude to read 1543, write 1543 and simultaneously check the address and make small adjustments based on my own route knowledge. When I lose sleep. It downgrades to the silly numbers. Managers will still harass you for not writing hins or moving stuff around too much. At the same time, the hins are actively detrimental in allowing oneself to focus in on the stops themselves.

The smart move for the company is to soft-abandon preload and try and get the new 22.4 drivers to load and deliver their own stuff. However this may not go well with local unions as they are not supposed to have their own bid routes in the language they were formed in.

For example, you could run an assignment consisting of 5 cars, 1 preloader, and 1-2 22.4 drivers (with one or both on a late-start).

(This is the opinion of somebody who is slated to drive this winter and has fully memorized a retiree's route as a year long pet project, I produce "good" loads but they are certainly not custom, immaculate, or done on-time lol)

Last edited:

Jstpeachy

Also... beginning to wonder if all these drivers complaining about preloaders think there’s some extensive training that happens lol. At best you are handed a scanner- not taught how to even log in to it, given 3 trucks and if you’re lucky they write the shelf numbers on in sharpie before they walk off watching the train wreck begin. Half of each batch of new hires walk out week 1 due to no training and being overwhelmed followed by some a hole driver walking in yelling about load quality.

In a 140 pc resi route maybe it’s super simple because you have minimal if any bulk stops and half is mailers/envelopes- but if you want a decent load on a route with a lot of businesses/ dr offices etc/pcs throwing a few bulk/heavy/early addresses with where you prefer them, loading tips and not being a :censored2: canoe goes a long way.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's the same here. I always custom load but it is frowned upon by management. I will always argue "best interest of the employer". They want everything in, no stacking, then drivers wonder why their day is a disaster. We cannot hold bulk pcs. or stops, everything goes in. Not nice when you have lazyboy recliners and full size Webers that can't fit under shelves or even rdr

If managers are against custom loading then that tells me the dispatcher(s) have whined enough about having to do the extra keystrokes and mouse movements at their computers to get them to listen.

Ours told me that if a bulk stop assigned to RDR only has a few pieces then the system removes it and puts it back into in a section so he has to manually move them there. Some stops need to stay put no matter how many pieces. Custom loading is a must. It’s just better for everyone. Including the customer.
Also... beginning to wonder if all these drivers complaining about preloaders think there’s some extensive training that happens lol. At best you are handed a scanner- not taught how to even log in to it, given 3 trucks and if you’re lucky they write the shelf numbers on in sharpie before they walk off watching the train wreck begin. Half of each batch of new hires walk out week 1 due to no training and being overwhelmed followed by some a hole driver walking in yelling about load quality.

I acknowledge the lack of training. I’ve actually had words with the preload “supervisors” over the matter. In fact, what little they are “teaching” our new loaders is setting them (and drivers) up for failure.

In a 140 pc resi route maybe it’s super simple because you have minimal if any bulk stops and half is mailers/envelopes- but if you want a decent load on a route with a lot of businesses/ dr offices etc/pcs throwing a few bulk/heavy/early addresses with where you prefer them, loading tips and not being a :censored2: canoe goes a long way.

My route is a cake resi route with high stop counts but sometimes includes just about everything you don’t want on a truck. LOL. I’ve given/shown tips to most of the preloaders I’ve had (one guy just seemed to be a natural) and the preload sups as nicely as possible and they either don’t get it or just don’t care. If they would cooperate it would help the preloader just as much as me.

Our load chart is put out very early or before preload starts but most of them seem to ignore it.

Last edited:

Jstpeachy

I acknowledge the lack of training. I’ve actually had words with the preload “supervisors” over the matter. In fact, what little they are “teaching” our new loaders is setting them (and drivers) up for failure.

Fair enough. I’m sure there are plenty of preloaders that don’t care, and plenty of drivers that don’t throw a tantrum over one package being out of order.

Bottom line is preload sups suck at training for the most part, and upper management pushes them to push us to load as quickly as possible regardless of what that does to load quality.

Idc what they say my belt sup knows if it’s stack out or load like trash I’m gonna stack every time to avoid the “just throw it in there” they like to yell out come 7:30-8am.

That said I have 3 trucks and clean them up/ ensure numerical order in a 1st -3rd place ranking based on the drivers. The guy that helped me learn better ways to load is ready to roll first, while the guy that comes in daily whining no matter how’s it’s loaded gets whatever time I’ve got left lol. *shrugs*