The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight

Non liberal

You do know what negotiations means right. It's not like the union walks in and says this is what you'll pay us and the company just agrees.

They show financials and projections.
I understand, my main concern is that the union will cave on something like pension or healthcare in order to up the wages. If they leave the benefits alone then fine. Do they account for whatever business we may lose to other shipping companies as well?

542thruNthru

I understand, my main concern is that the union will cave on something like pension or healthcare in order to up the wages. If they leave the benefits alone then fine. Do they account for whatever business we may lose to other shipping companies as well?
There is no way ever that the union will cave on healthcare or pensions before wages. It just won't happen. Especially now that most are in Teamcare. They need the UPS money to keep both up.

Thebrownblob

You do know what negotiations means right. It's not like the union walks in and says this is what you'll pay us and the company just agrees.

They show financials and projections.
Nope that’s not how it works according to non-liberal he said “the numbers don’t matter” lol🙄

Non liberal

Nope that’s not how it works according to non-liberal he said “the numbers don’t matter” lol🙄
Meaning business can be taken at any point by another company. And just because they’re making money isn’t going to stop them from replacing employees with technology when we get too expensive.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Meaning business can be taken at any point by another company. And just because they’re making money isn’t going to stop them from replacing employees with technology when we get too expensive.
What's hilarious is you don't realize that even if we were cheap a business is still going to try and reduce labor costs. Injuries, sick time, personal time and whatever else is a hindrance to a company. Every company is always looking to eliminate that with technology.

But no.. if we don't ask for money they'll never try and automate hubs... SMH.

Non liberal

What's hilarious is you don't realize that even if we were cheap a business is still going to try and reduce labor costs. Injuries, sick time, personal time and whatever else is a hindrance to a company. Every company is always looking to eliminate that with technology.

But no.. if we don't ask for money they'll never try and automate hubs... SMH.
We’re not cheap, never said to be cheap, just reasonable. 50 an hr. Isn’t reasonable. A company will deal with a union if they’re reasonable, and I think the teamsters will be. They understand they can’t lose ups. Yes companies will always try automation, it just makes it easier when you labor is out of control

Johney

If your job is beating u up then do something else. Feeders doesn’t bust u up.
Feeders doesn't bust you up physically,but it can be just as bad in other ways. Poor sleep habits, poor diet due to bad sleep habits. lack of exercise. I did it for almost 8 years. Gained 20lbs. Been retired since Dec. still can't sleep at night worth a :censored2: as you can see it's 4 a.m. and I'm up. Now maybe there are a lot of day runs in feeders where you're at, there were three day runs in my building out of 22, all were just package drivers delivering out of a feeder.....no thanks. Feeders is not a fix all by any means especially for guys with young families.

Non liberal

Feeders doesn't bust you up physically,but it can be just as bad in other ways. Poor sleep habits, poor diet due to bad sleep habits. lack of exercise. I did it for almost 8 years. Gained 20lbs. Been retired since Dec. still can't sleep at night worth a :censored2: as you can see it's 4 a.m. and I'm up. Now maybe there are a lot of day runs in feeders where you're at, there were three day runs in my building out of 22, all were just package drivers delivering out of a feeder.....no thanks. Feeders is not a fix all by any means especially for guys with young families.
I have a young family, and yes it’s hard to deal with. But I haven’t found a job yet that isn’t hard to deal with. I’ve worked for myself and three other companies before I came to ups. And im not saying this because im a “company man” but everywhere else I worked, was twice as hard for half the pay. Feeders does take a toll with sleep, but so did my own business. It’s just the lesser of all the evils for me. Everything has its good and bad no matter what you do.

Thebrownblob

I have a young family, and yes it’s hard to deal with. But I haven’t found a job yet that isn’t hard to deal with. I’ve worked for myself and three other companies before I came to ups. And im not saying this because im a “company man” but everywhere else I worked, was twice as hard for half the pay. Feeders does take a toll with sleep, but so did my own business. It’s just the lesser of all the evils for me. Everything has its good and bad no matter what you do.
Every job at UPS will take a piece of you, and your family will feel it as well. The company would like you to believe you make too much money and have too many benefits, and come contract time they will say you’re going to put them out of business and they’re going broke. The truth is if that were to ever happen it won’t be because of us it will be because of their poor decisions that run the company. The union will call their BS out they will sit down and go over the numbers and come to some sort of agreement. What that amount is I don’t know, I do believe it should be substantial for everyone for the life of the contract. I believe we are still a bargain for what we do and how successful the company has been.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
There is no way ever that the union will cave on healthcare or pensions before wages. It just won't happen. Especially now that most are in Teamcare. They need the UPS money to keep both up.

We have to watch out for the term (Union)...I sometimes use it to describe our Leadership but the real definition is obvious..The Rank and File or the grunts is the (UNION).... In your area you a sitting pretty with your pensions and health and welfare coverages. I am in the Central Conference and it has been ugly, the (Leadership) has caved in on our pensions and health and welfare plans mainly because of the Central States issue. I said this before that the IBT/UPS Pension Plan is a (defined benefit plan) it is not like yours which is fueled by Article 34 (Master). There is a vast number of our members who have quit accruing pension increases once they hit the maximum number of service years. That number includes our part timers and a few full timers. Our (Leadership) knows this and has failed to address this disparity because:

a. The are in bed with the company on the issue and would rather not upset the current status quo.

b. The are so weak that they do not have the means to challenge any injustices on our pension disparities.

c. They are covering decision made in the past by either incompetent or corrupt (Leadership) officials.

d. They are a cut and run organization they are willing to leave members behind because of the better good on protecting the (real teamsters) that matter.

There you go...I am praying that O'Brien can fix our (UNION) rather than provide increases for a protected class of our membership who have the inside track.

giphy (28).gif